    an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend out on special voice
    boards or anything. I don't really understand how Asterisk works or how it
    would interface with the SPA.
    Joe Harrison, Oct 16, 2005

  2. Joe Harrison

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:38:52 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the FXS port and
    >configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is although there are two DECT
    >handsets I can never actually make or receive telephone calls because both
    >handsets are always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a pile
    >of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.
    >
    >Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids exclusive use so they
    >leave mine alone? I have a strong feeling that if it can be done at all then
    >the answer is going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this with
    >an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend out on special voice
    >boards or anything. I don't really understand how Asterisk works or how it
    >would interface with the SPA.

    I think that there are basically 3 answers to your problem.
    1. 'Asterisk at home' software - loads very easily in one go and will
    work on an oldish machine. Installation will probably take about half
    an hour as it whirs away on its own - no need for intervention.
    2. Get another ATA - you can use more than one - it's just another IP.
    3. Get some SIP phones - again just more IPs to add to the system.
    I think option 3 is out on cost grounds and other possible port
    forwarding problems.
    Option 1 affords the maximum flexibility but requires some learning.
    Option 2 is possible - you might find something on ebay.
    The only problem I can foresee with option 2 is port forwarding as you
    already have one ATA..
    You would probably be best with an ATA which went before the router in
    this case - someone else here with more experience might be able to
    advise on that one.

    As regards Asterisk: The ATA connects to the system as it does now but
    the computer links to it via its IP on the internal network. With
    'Asterisk at home' you will be able to control the old computer ( you
    Asterisk box) via a web interface on your usual computer - so no need
    for a monitor etc. on your old computer once it has been set up.
    If you are prepared to spend a little time learning how to operate
    'Asterisk at Home' then this would be the best option.
    The only disadvantage is the cost of electriciy so you need to choose
    a computer that isn't too power hungry and possibly put it on a timer
    so it switches off whilst the kids are in bed.

    Take a look at:
    http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Oct 16, 2005

  3. On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:38:52 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
    <> wrote:

    >Trouble is although there are two DECT
    >handsets I can never actually make or receive telephone calls because both
    >handsets are always randomly hidden around the house

    a T-adaptor and a hard wired phone would resolve this ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 16, 2005
  4. Joe Harrison

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Joe Harrison" <> wrote in message
    > I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the
    > FXS port and configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is
    > although there are two DECT handsets I can never actually
    > make or receive telephone calls because both handsets are
    > always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a
    > pile of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.
    >
    > Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids
    > exclusive use so they leave mine alone? I have a strong
    > feeling that if it can be done at all then the answer is
    > going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this
    > with an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend
    > out on special voice boards or anything. I don't really
    > understand how Asterisk works or how it would interface
    > with the SPA.

    An additional ATA would probably be the easiest option. I have 4 Sipgate
    numbers and one FWD number here..!

    Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working behind
    one router, but it can usually be done.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Joe Harrison

    Mark Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message

    > "Joe Harrison" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the
    >> FXS port and configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is
    >> although there are two DECT handsets I can never actually
    >> make or receive telephone calls because both handsets are
    >> always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a
    >> pile of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids
    >> exclusive use so they leave mine alone? I have a strong
    >> feeling that if it can be done at all then the answer is
    >> going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this
    >> with an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend
    >> out on special voice boards or anything. I don't really
    >> understand how Asterisk works or how it would interface
    >> with the SPA.

    > An additional ATA would probably be the easiest option. I have 4 Sipgate
    > numbers and one FWD number here..!
    >
    > Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working behind
    > one router, but it can usually be done.
    >
    > Ivor

    I use a netgear router and have never had to forward ports to make or
    recieve calls using sipgate using either a ATA or SoftPhone thats the idea
    of the stun address "stun.sipgate.net:10000"

    --
    "Customise Your Mobile http://ringtones.tekmobile.co.uk"
    "Join Our New Forum http://forums.tekmobile.co.uk"
    Mark, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Joe Harrison

    Peter Guest

    Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    [...]
    > Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working
    > behind one router, but it can usually be done.

    At that point, it's usually less bother to get an Asterisk box with
    two (virtual) network interfaces on the job.

    --
    PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key
    Peter, Oct 16, 2005
  7. On 16 Oct 2005 16:20:26 GMT, (Peter) wrote:

    >less bother to get an Asterisk box

    not a phrase you hear often.

    Less bother to get a SIP aware modem/router maybe, but Asterisk is a
    bit of a mouthful for most people to chew on - after all, we didn't
    need telephone exchanges in our houses before so why should we need
    Asterisk now ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 16, 2005
  8. Joe Harrison

    Lurch Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:51:45 +0100, Phil Thompson
    <> scrawled:

    >we didn't
    >need telephone exchanges in our houses before so why should we need
    >Asterisk now ?

    We don't really need computers, TV's, radios, electricity, central
    heating etc... At one time every lived in caves.
    --
    Stuart @ SJW Electrical

    Please Reply to group
    Lurch, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Joe Harrison

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2005 16:20:26 GMT, (Peter) wrote:
    >>less bother to get an Asterisk box

    > not a phrase you hear often.
    >
    > Less bother to get a SIP aware modem/router maybe, but Asterisk is a
    > bit of a mouthful for most people to chew on - after all, we didn't
    > need telephone exchanges in our houses before so why should we need
    > Asterisk now ?

    You didn't have N lines then either (where N >2 for example). And if you
    did, you didn't get away with paying for one and piggy-backing the
    others at (possibly) no charge and allowing multiple simultaneous calls.
    Paul Cupis, Oct 16, 2005
  10. On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:07:30 +0100, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    >You didn't have N lines then either

    I did actually, and I used multiple call carriers on them, still
    didn't need an exchange :)

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 16, 2005
  11. Joe Harrison

    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:36:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working behind
    >one router, but it can usually be done.

    Glad you said "sometimes" Ivor we have three working behind one router
    here Vonage, a Sipura 2000 running the voiphone line and another
    running the Freetalk line and no problams at all.
    , Oct 16, 2005
  12. Joe Harrison

    Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:03:05 +0100, Lurch <>
    wrote:

    >We don't really need computers, TV's, radios, electricity, central
    >heating etc... At one time every lived in caves.

    Couldn't agree more people used to talk to each other in those days
    and make their own entertainment .
    , Oct 16, 2005
  13. Joe Harrison

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:07:30 +0100, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >>You didn't have N lines then either

    > I did actually, and I used multiple call carriers on them, still
    > didn't need an exchange :)

    Well I sit corrected, but surely you understand my point?
    Paul Cupis, Oct 16, 2005
  14. Joe Harrison

    alexd Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > The only disadvantage is the cost of electriciy so you need to choose
    > a computer that isn't too power hungry and possibly put it on a timer
    > so it switches off whilst the kids are in bed.

    One can also install Asterisk on some routers eg Linksys WRT54G, but I
    suspect these are rather low-horsepower systems, and you couldn't run a
    call centre on it for example.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:16:25 up 12 days, 2:24, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.13, 0.18
    alexd, Oct 16, 2005
  15. Joe Harrison

    Joe Harrison Guest

    Thanks for suggestions. I have to say I'm kind of peeved with the SPA-3000 -
    it's infinitely configureable thus hard work to understand and yet every
    time I want it to do something objectively useful (extra lines, least cost
    routing, resilient routing) it turns out that the box can't directly support
    it.

    I'm especially cross that the SPA-2000 does in fact have two FXS so my extra
    line problem could have been solved easily if I'd bought the earlier model.
    Joe Harrison, Oct 16, 2005
  16. Joe Harrison

    Peter Guest

    Phil Thompson <> wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2005 16:20:26 GMT, (Peter) wrote:
    >> less bother to get an Asterisk box

    > not a phrase you hear often.

    *grin*

    > Less bother to get a SIP aware modem/router maybe, but Asterisk is a
    > bit of a mouthful for most people to chew on

    Take cheap PC, wave Debian over it, aptitude install asterisk, edit
    sip.conf and extensions.conf, and you're done.

    > after all, we didn't need telephone exchanges in our houses before
    > so why should we need Asterisk now ?

    Before now, we had one phone, provided by the GPO, in a choice of any
    colour as long as it was brown, and it was screwed to the wall.

    --
    I worry that if SETI succeeds, I may start receiving Klingon Spam.
    - Tanuki the Raccoon-dog in the Monastery
    Peter, Oct 16, 2005

  17. > An additional ATA would probably be the easiest option. I have 4 Sipgate
    > numbers and one FWD number here..!
    >
    > Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working behind
    > one router, but it can usually be done.

    I'm using a (german) Fritz!Fon Box WLAN:
    all-in-one: modem, router, VOIP, wireless lan
    with 3 analoge ports, and 1 ISDN port (where you can connect up to 8 ISDN
    devices)
    I have 8 VOIP accounts registered, all working
    no issues with port forwarding ...

    Ph
    Philippe Deleye, Oct 16, 2005
  18. Joe Harrison

    Jono Guest

    Joe Harrison wrote:
    || Thanks for suggestions. I have to say I'm kind of peeved with the
    || SPA-3000 - it's infinitely configureable thus hard work to
    || understand and yet every time I want it to do something objectively
    || useful (extra lines, least cost routing, resilient routing) it turns
    || out that the box can't directly support it.
    || I'm especially cross that the SPA-2000 does in fact have two FXS so
    || my extra line problem could have been solved easily if I'd bought
    || the earlier model.

    Different, not necessarily earlier.

    The 2k cannot connect directly to PSTN, the 3k can.
    Jono, Oct 16, 2005
  19. On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:09:03 +0100, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    >Well I sit corrected, but surely you understand my point?

    I do. Asterisk is highly versatile and hence highly complex. It is far
    from trivial to setup and configure and needs a PC running 24/7.
    If you need multiple lines, multiple extensions, voicemail, call
    forwarding etc its the ideal solution.

    In other words if your requirements would have dictated an analogue
    switchboard then an Asterisk/VoIP solution would be equivalent or
    better.

    For most domestic users an ATA seems to be sufficiently offputting so
    I think Asterisk is out of the question for them. An ATA that provides
    a coupler of incoming providers and up to 4 outgoing providers should
    cover most requirements for domestic use.

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 17, 2005
  20. On 16 Oct 2005 20:49:26 GMT, (Peter) wrote:

    >Before now, we had one phone, provided by the GPO, in a choice of any
    >colour as long as it was brown, and it was screwed to the wall.

    that was before 20 years ago, no need to get carried away. I'm talking
    about what someone did last week with analogue compared to something
    similar next week with VoIP.

    >Take cheap PC, wave Debian over it,

    oh look, it didn't find the ethernet card. :-(

    >aptitude install asterisk, edit
    >sip.conf and extensions.conf, and you're done."

    and how many man-hours should a novice realistically budget for this ?

    Phil

    No more cable clowns :))
    Phil Thompson, Oct 17, 2005