How to get Explorer to refresh when new CD-R is inserted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    correctly.

    But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
    into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
    name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
    although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
    the CD-R.

    I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
    Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.

    The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
    in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.

    How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?

    Thank you for your help.

    -- Jerry Rivers
    Jerry Rivers, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Jerry Rivers <> wrote in

    > In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    > the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    > correctly.
    >
    > But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I

    insert
    > into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
    > name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
    > although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
    > the CD-R.
    >
    > I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,

    View>
    > Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >
    > The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
    > in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >
    > How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    I should have added to this post that Windows Explorer also
    does not update the volume name for my Zip 100 disks. It only
    records the correct volume name for the first disk inserted
    into my Zip drive. After that, nothing but restarting
    Explorer will get it to properly show the volume name.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    -- Jerry Rivers
    Jerry Rivers, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Jerry Rivers

    Ghostrider Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:

    > Jerry Rivers <> wrote in
    >

    >>In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    >>the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    >>correctly.
    >>
    >>But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I

    > insert
    >
    >>into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
    >>name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
    >>although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
    >>the CD-R.
    >>
    >>I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,

    > View>
    >
    >>Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >>
    >>The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
    >>in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >>
    >>How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
    >>
    >>Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >> -- Jerry Rivers
    >>

    > I should have added to this post that Windows Explorer also
    > does not update the volume name for my Zip 100 disks. It only
    > records the correct volume name for the first disk inserted
    > into my Zip drive. After that, nothing but restarting
    > Explorer will get it to properly show the volume name.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    For the ZIP drive, the recommended procedure is to use
    the "soft" eject from the ZIP drive's menu. This forces
    the flushing of the cache and transfer any remaining data
    to the ZIP disk along with an automatic refresh of Explorer.
    The same may be applicable to the CD drive.
    Ghostrider, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in news:101lc2mm4rlgf85
    @news.supernews.com:

    >>>In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into

    Should have mentioned that I tried ejecting both my CD's and
    my Zip disks using the Eject command from the menu I get by
    right clicking on the CD or Zip drive letter - no joy.

    I read in the MS KB that the cache that Windows uses to hold
    the contents of a CD (they didn't mention Zips but it must be
    the same) does not always flush. The only solution offered
    was to make sure that all the CD names are different.

    Well, *all* of my CD-R names and *all* of my Zip disk names
    are different. It would be helpful to be able to force the
    cache to flush.

    Any other ideas I can try? This is *very* annoying when
    working on multiple disks and not knowing which one is in the
    drive. Fortunately, Explorer can at least read from the disks
    correctly.

    -- Jerry Rivers
    Jerry Rivers, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Jerry Rivers

    Patrick Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:
    > In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    > the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    > correctly.
    >
    > But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
    > into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
    > name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
    > although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
    > the CD-R.
    >
    > I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
    > Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >
    > The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
    > in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >
    > How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    I don't know if I am being any help but;
    If I replace one disc with another, I have two D:\ icons, the one that's
    ejected can't be selected of course. Haven't seen anyone else ever mention
    such.
    Patrick, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in

    > Jerry Rivers wrote:
    >> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    >> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    >> correctly.
    >>
    >> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I
    >> insert into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the
    >> CD volume name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows
    >> Explorer, although Explorer can read all of the folders
    >> and files on the CD-R.
    >>
    >> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,
    >> View> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >>
    >> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to
    >> appear in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >>
    >> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume
    >> names?
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >> -- Jerry Rivers

    > I don't know if I am being any help but;
    > If I replace one disc with another, I have two D:\ icons,
    > the one that's ejected can't be selected of course. Haven't
    > seen anyone else ever mention such.

    Since I posted the original message, I've learned more about
    this problem, but no solution as yet. There are two problems
    known to exist in XP: 1) the CD volume name doesn't refresh,
    even pressing F5 to refresh Explorers display, and 2)
    everytime you insert a new CD, you get a new drive listed in
    the folder pane of Explorer.

    Microshit says that these are known problems with XP and
    either get SP1 (which I have) or just don't use Folder View!

    One of my Cyber friends suggested to me that this may be
    another of XPs many annoyances that I will just have to learn
    to live with.

    I needed to look at a couple dozen CD's and a couple dozen
    Zip disks today, so the problem was severe. One a normal day,
    maybe I might look at none or maybe only one or two. So, a
    reasonable work-around for me might be to just restart
    Explorer.

    I can tell you Bill Gates is no pal of mine! I pray for the
    day I can buy Linux and quick contributing to his billions
    while he continue to make my life miserable.

    Thanks for trying to help!

    -- Jerry Rivers
    Jerry Rivers, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Jerry Rivers

    trout Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:

    > In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    > the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    > correctly.
    >
    > But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I insert
    > into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the CD volume
    > name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows Explorer,
    > although Explorer can read all of the folders and files on
    > the CD-R.
    >
    > I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or, View>
    > Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >
    > The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to appear
    > in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >
    > How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume names?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    I don't know if it would suit your needs; but have you tried any
    Explorer alternatives? There are some very good ones, like TrackerV3:
    http://www.trackerv3.com/index.htm
    (free for home use)
    --
    "Might be worth a look."
    trout, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    Jerry Rivers <> wrote in

    [snip]

    > I can tell you Bill Gates is no pal of mine! I pray for the
    > day I can buy Linux

    I thought it was free?

    Boomer, Jan 31, 2004
  9. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in

    > Jerry Rivers wrote:
    >
    >> In Win 98, each time I inserted one of my data CD-R's into
    >> the drive, Windows Explorer would show the CD volume name,
    >> correctly.
    >>
    >> But, in Win XP Pro, this only works for the first CD I
    >> insert into the drive. Subsequent CD's do not update the
    >> CD volume name as shown by my CD Drive letter in Windows
    >> Explorer, although Explorer can read all of the folders
    >> and files on the CD-R.
    >>
    >> I tried the obvious - refresh the display with F5 (or,
    >> View> Refresh) but the CD volume name does not update.
    >>
    >> The only way I can get the correct CD volume name to
    >> appear in Explorer is to close Explorer and re-launch it.
    >>
    >> How can I get Refresh to correctly show my CD volume
    >> names?
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >> -- Jerry Rivers

    > I don't know if it would suit your needs; but have you
    > tried any
    > Explorer alternatives? There are some very good ones, like
    > TrackerV3: http://www.trackerv3.com/index.htm
    > (free for home use)

    Thanks for the recommendation - I'll take a look.

    -- Jerry Rivers
    Jerry Rivers, Jan 31, 2004