    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On May 5, 3:47 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >
    > I'm considering the purchase of:
    >
    > http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >
    > But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
    > today.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

    You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
    types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.

    Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=384505

    JohnO, May 5, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 5/05/2010 4:55 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    > On May 5, 3:47 pm, "~misfit~"<> wrote:
    >> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>
    >> I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>
    >> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
    >> today.
    >> --
    >> Cheers,
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

    > You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
    > types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.
    >
    > Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
    > http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=384505

    Maybe this one would do

    http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=9361384

    victor, May 5, 2010
  4. On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >
    >I'm considering the purchase of:
    >
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >
    >But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
    >today.

    EOB has been & gone but
    CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill

    http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?keywords=usb video&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

    $59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm

    Malcolm Moore, May 5, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 5/05/2010 4:55 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    >> On May 5, 3:47 pm, "~misfit~"<> wrote:
    >>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>>
    >>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
    >>> by EOB today.
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson

    >> You'll need a usb analog tv tuner with a composite video input. These
    >> types are getting rarer these days as everything is going digital.
    >>
    >> Maybe something like this (bit oricey though):
    >> http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=384505
    >>

    > Maybe this one would do
    >
    > http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=9361384

    Thank you gentlemen, they're botha bit expensive for me. It's just that I've
    been getting paranoid lately and thought that better security might be good.
    Having something like that running to a laptop, (perhaps wirelessly from
    another laptop) and an external USB HDD (I have a 1.5TB one) stashed away
    where thieves wouldn't look.....

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm Moore wrote:
    > On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>
    >> I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>
    >> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
    >> by EOB today.

    > EOB has been & gone but
    > CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
    >
    > http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?keywords=usb video&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
    >
    > $59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

    Thank you Malcolm, they're closer to my price range. I'll see if the last
    unit is still at the local DSE tomorrow and calculate my debt load....

    The one that handles four cameras would be great to just use the cameras on
    except they are powered from the monitor unit by voltage on the coax. :-(
    Who wants to run a CRT these days?

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>
    >> I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>
    >> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>
    >> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
    >> by EOB today.

    > Definatly not the easycap off deal extreme.
    >
    > Buggy shitty unsigned drivers that will bluescreen the PC for any
    > number of reasons.

    I did look at DealExtreme and didn't see anthing that I felt comfortable
    with.

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2010
  8. On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:58:42 +1200, Malcolm Moore
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>
    >>I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>
    >>http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>
    >>But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know by EOB
    >>today.

    >EOB has been & gone but
    >CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
    >
    >http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?keywords=usb video&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
    >
    >$59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a suggestion.

    With analogue tuners and video in equipment, there are two options:

    1) Hardware encoding in the tuner
    2) Software encoding using your CPU

    If it is not specified, then it will almost certainly be using
    software encoding. The results are usually crappy. Firstly, it uses
    a *lot* of CPU to keep up with 25 frame per second encoding in real
    time. Even if CPU can cope with the average speed, the peaks of
    processor needed for complicated frames are *much* more than the
    average. Secondly, even if your system is fast enough, Windows is bad
    at multitasking real-time software and the result is normally missing
    frames where the software had to drop frames because the CPU was taken
    away for too long. I have not tried it under Linux, where the
    multi-tasking is better controlled, but it is still not a good idea
    unless you have a really fast machine to dedicate to the job (ie no
    other software running). Not recommended.

    So that leaves hardware encoding, which works reasonably well and
    normally produces an MPEG2 file similar to DVD format. Under Windows,
    I still see dropped frames occasionally, so a dedicated machine is
    best - Linux does not do that, and the machine can be used for other
    things. But hardware that does hardware encoding is invariably
    expensive. You can find it now on TradeMe though, as people are
    getting rid of analogue equipment now that they have converted to
    digital.

    Stephen Worthington, May 5, 2010
  9. ~misfit~

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 06 May 2010 00:53:11 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Who wants to run a CRT these days?

    Anyone who wants a clear picture with good colour and a close dot pitch?

    Sweetpea, May 5, 2010
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 May 2010 20:58:42 +1200, Malcolm Moore
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 5 May 2010 15:47:55 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The machine has USB2, PC Card and ExpressCard expansion.
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering the purchase of:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113
    >>>
    >>> But there's only one set left at the local store and I need to know
    >>> by EOB today.

    >> EOB has been & gone but
    >> CAT. NO. XC4991 & QV8000 from Jaycar would possibly fit the bill
    >>
    >> http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productResults.asp?keywords=usb video&keyform=KEYWORD&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
    >>
    >> $59.90 & $82.90 respectively. I've not used either, just a
    >> suggestion.

    > With analogue tuners and video in equipment, there are two options:
    >
    > 1) Hardware encoding in the tuner
    > 2) Software encoding using your CPU
    >
    > If it is not specified, then it will almost certainly be using
    > software encoding. The results are usually crappy. Firstly, it uses
    > a *lot* of CPU to keep up with 25 frame per second encoding in real
    > time. Even if CPU can cope with the average speed, the peaks of
    > processor needed for complicated frames are *much* more than the
    > average. Secondly, even if your system is fast enough, Windows is bad
    > at multitasking real-time software and the result is normally missing
    > frames where the software had to drop frames because the CPU was taken
    > away for too long. I have not tried it under Linux, where the
    > multi-tasking is better controlled, but it is still not a good idea
    > unless you have a really fast machine to dedicate to the job (ie no
    > other software running). Not recommended.
    >
    > So that leaves hardware encoding, which works reasonably well and
    > normally produces an MPEG2 file similar to DVD format. Under Windows,
    > I still see dropped frames occasionally, so a dedicated machine is
    > best - Linux does not do that, and the machine can be used for other
    > things. But hardware that does hardware encoding is invariably
    > expensive. You can find it now on TradeMe though, as people are
    > getting rid of analogue equipment now that they have converted to
    > digital.

    Ok, thanks Stephen, good to know.

    The analogue stream that I would be encoding if I go ahead with this
    (unknown as yet) is monchrome and really basic.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/en/product/L6113 It doesn't have the details
    there but I seem to remember reading on the box 380 lines or something? I
    would imagine it wouldn't take much CPU to encode that level of input. (But
    admit to being totally ignorant in this field.)

    Also I *would* be using a dedicated PC, albeit a Pentium M 1.6GHz laptop
    (low running costs) writing lo-res video (no good trying to encode better
    than the source) to an external HDD over USB (hopefully it would keep up).

    The idea being if I was burgled I'd have video of the culprits. The external
    HDD would be hidden somewhere so that, again hopefully it wouldn't be found
    / taken. Ultimate plan would be to have a motion sensor and, when motion
    sensor is tripped after 'away from home' is switched it would wirelessly
    upload video to a server.

    However it seems that I'm probably going to have to can this project due to
    lack of funds.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2010
  11. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:04:48 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > The idea being if I was burgled I'd have video of the culprits. The
    > external HDD would be hidden somewhere so that, again hopefully it
    > wouldn't be found / taken. Ultimate plan would be to have a motion
    > sensor and, when motion sensor is tripped after 'away from home' is
    > switched it would wirelessly upload video to a server.
    >
    > However it seems that I'm probably going to have to can this project
    > due to lack of funds.

    Hi
    I packaged up an application called grabby with this you can upload
    files to a remote site (or local machine), it also detects motion so
    you can script things to happen; http://www.vanheusden.com/grabby/

    You could use something like SUSE Studio to create a custom linux
    build (liveCD or liveUSB), upload the images from an external webcam
    and you should be good to go?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default

    Malcolm, May 6, 2010
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:04:48 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >

    >> The idea being if I was burgled I'd have video of the culprits. The
    >> external HDD would be hidden somewhere so that, again hopefully it
    >> wouldn't be found / taken. Ultimate plan would be to have a motion
    >> sensor and, when motion sensor is tripped after 'away from home' is
    >> switched it would wirelessly upload video to a server.
    >>
    >> However it seems that I'm probably going to have to can this project
    >> due to lack of funds.

    > Hi
    > I packaged up an application called grabby with this you can upload
    > files to a remote site (or local machine), it also detects motion so
    > you can script things to happen; http://www.vanheusden.com/grabby/
    >
    > You could use something like SUSE Studio to create a custom linux
    > build (liveCD or liveUSB), upload the images from an external webcam
    > and you should be good to go?

    Hi Malcolm,

    That looks interesting. Stills only? I'd have to run [read: obtain] a couple
    webcams and no doubt learn some Linux (you've always been trying to tempt me
    to 'the dark side' <g>).

    I've bookmarked it for future reference in case I find a source of cheap
    cams. USB webcams are limited by cable length so would have to locate the
    machine running it fairly centrally...

    Still, knowing the guy who packaged the app and talks *nix in his sleep [I
    assume, LOL] can't hurt. ;-)

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2010
  13. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thank you Malcolm, they're closer to my price range. I'll see if the last
    > unit is still at the local DSE tomorrow and calculate my debt load....
    >
    > The one that handles four cameras would be great to just use the cameras on
    > except they are powered from the monitor unit by voltage on the coax. :-(
    > Who wants to run a CRT these days?

    Thats not really a great deal on the camera system IMO, the screen just
    cycles, not all 4 simultanously or seperate outputs, so the software
    will detect motion on every camera change.

    Also black and white only.

    I would think you would be better off getting some cheap cams off ebay
    and using a capture device only. If you really want a crappy small CRT
    screen I have seen them sold at supermarkets for like $20.

    Richard, May 6, 2010
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> Thank you Malcolm, they're closer to my price range. I'll see if the
    >> last unit is still at the local DSE tomorrow and calculate my debt
    >> load.... The one that handles four cameras would be great to just use the
    >> cameras on except they are powered from the monitor unit by voltage
    >> on the coax. :-( Who wants to run a CRT these days?

    > Thats not really a great deal on the camera system IMO, the screen
    > just cycles, not all 4 simultanously or seperate outputs, so the
    > software will detect motion on every camera change.

    OK.

    > Also black and white only.

    I would have thought 'black and white' was good enough as any burglars are
    likely to be one or the other. ;-)

    Also figured less data = less transcoding overhead. <shrug> I'm a n00b at
    this.

    > I would think you would be better off getting some cheap cams off ebay
    > and using a capture device only.

    ebay where? My only attempts at buying from ebay have been foiled by my
    location. SFA sellers will send to NZ and those that will tend to charge a
    couple of proverbial appendages to do it. I even tried to get Malcolm to
    grab one item for me as he's currently residing in the US but even that
    didn't work.

    > If you really want a crappy small CRT
    > screen I have seen them sold at supermarkets for like $20.

    I believe I wrote above "Who wants to run a CRT these days?". The answer to
    that is not me. It's just that package seemed, well, if not affordable (for
    me), at least not extremely expensive.

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2010
  15. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thank you Malcolm, they're closer to my price range. I'll see if the
    >>> last unit is still at the local DSE tomorrow and calculate my debt
    >>> load.... The one that handles four cameras would be great to just use the
    >>> cameras on except they are powered from the monitor unit by voltage
    >>> on the coax. :-( Who wants to run a CRT these days?

    >> Thats not really a great deal on the camera system IMO, the screen
    >> just cycles, not all 4 simultanously or seperate outputs, so the
    >> software will detect motion on every camera change.

    > OK.

    Also what is the cable requirements for that kit? ones I have seen have
    had obscure mini din connectors between the cams and the monitor meaning
    making up a breakout lead to get it into something else.

    >> Also black and white only.

    > I would have thought 'black and white' was good enough as any burglars are
    > likely to be one or the other. ;-)
    >
    > Also figured less data = less transcoding overhead. <shrug> I'm a n00b at
    > this.

    Clothing etc is often more helpful since it is easier for people to
    describe a "blue hoodie" than try to describe the guy. Most are black
    and white at night and colour when there is light, but the lack of an IR
    filter in them makes the colours quite wrong. Some have an IR filter,
    but they will not have night vision on them.

    >> I would think you would be better off getting some cheap cams off ebay
    >> and using a capture device only.

    > ebay where? My only attempts at buying from ebay have been foiled by my
    > location. SFA sellers will send to NZ and those that will tend to charge a
    > couple of proverbial appendages to do it. I even tried to get Malcolm to
    > grab one item for me as he's currently residing in the US but even that
    > didn't work.

    Look at the hongkong/mainland china sellers, some Singapore ones and
    Malaysia sellers do the free/cheap shipping but it will ususally end up
    coming from HK in anycase.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/344axut

    click thru to about $15 and the cameras start, cables are in another
    category but just abusing cat5 to carry it has worked for me. Some of
    the 3 in one cables are unshielded crap. I have a couple out to some
    dome cameras on the front of the carport and there is crosstalk between
    the cameras.

    Richard, May 6, 2010
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:

    >>> Thats not really a great deal on the camera system IMO, the screen
    >>> just cycles, not all 4 simultanously or seperate outputs, so the
    >>> software will detect motion on every camera change.

    >> OK.

    > Also what is the cable requirements for that kit? ones I have seen
    > have had obscure mini din connectors between the cams and the monitor
    > meaning making up a breakout lead to get it into something else.
    >
    >>> Also black and white only.

    >> I would have thought 'black and white' was good enough as any
    >> burglars are likely to be one or the other. ;-)
    >>
    >> Also figured less data = less transcoding overhead. <shrug> I'm a
    >> n00b at this.

    > Clothing etc is often more helpful since it is easier for people to
    > describe a "blue hoodie" than try to describe the guy. Most are black
    > and white at night and colour when there is light, but the lack of an
    > IR filter in them makes the colours quite wrong. Some have an IR
    > filter, but they will not have night vision on them.
    >
    >>> I would think you would be better off getting some cheap cams off
    >>> ebay and using a capture device only.

    >> ebay where? My only attempts at buying from ebay have been foiled by
    >> my location. SFA sellers will send to NZ and those that will tend to
    >> charge a couple of proverbial appendages to do it. I even tried to
    >> get Malcolm to grab one item for me as he's currently residing in
    >> the US but even that didn't work.

    > Look at the hongkong/mainland china sellers, some Singapore ones and
    > Malaysia sellers do the free/cheap shipping but it will ususally end
    > up coming from HK in anycase.
    >

    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/344axut
    >
    > click thru to about $15 and the cameras start, cables are in another
    > category but just abusing cat5 to carry it has worked for me. Some of
    > the 3 in one cables are unshielded crap. I have a couple out to some
    > dome cameras on the front of the carport and there is crosstalk
    > between the cameras.

    Interesting, thanks Richard. If / when I get this project up and running I
    might have to 'ping' you. ;-)

    Ebay logged me in automatically which surprised the hell out of me as I
    didn't think I'd visited since about 2007 (which was a couple computers
    ago), then I remembered I was looking for a T60 cooler last year....

    ~misfit~, May 6, 2010