    Is there anyway to accomplish this with this camera, e.g., add on lens,
    different technique...

    Thanks!

    Louis, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Louis

    M-M Guest

    In article <PjW%a.103747$>,
    "Louis" <> wrote:

    > A friend of mine has a Nikon 5700 that he uses for taking pictures of gems.
    > He needs to be able to get close in and stop down to something like F22 for
    > a narrow depth of field.

    f22 will give you a wide DOF, not narrow. You need a wide DOF for gems
    at macro so the entire speciman is in focus.

    Just set the aperture and adjust the shutter speed. Tripod is a must.

    m-m

    M-M, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Louis

    Marggi Guest

    I don't have the 5700, I have the 4500, but I assume the coolpix series all
    have Macro settings. This will give you what you are looking for, with no
    other adjustment. The little flowers will turn yellow when you hit the
    "sweet spot" on the zoom. Short Courses offers a book on the 5700, it is
    the manual you wish Nikon had sent with your camera. Check out
    http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstore/nikon/book_nikon5700.htm I have the
    shortcourses book on the 4500 and have found it to be extremely helpful.
    Good luck, Marggi

    Marggi, Aug 18, 2003