How to Get "Actual" PSTN Dial Tone on SPA3102?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Mike Sun, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. Mike Sun

    Mike Sun Guest

    At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN line on a
    Linksys SPA 3102

    |<9,:>x.<:mad:gw0>|

    Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one generated by
    the ATA.

    I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    simulated one.

    I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any detail
    as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

    Incidentally, the simulated dial tone times out after 3 seconds as defined
    by the "Interdigit Short Timer" parameter but I don't want to extend this as
    it would delay sending of a dialled number.

    Any comment would be much appreciated - Cheers from Mike.

    Mike Sun, Dec 1, 2007

  2. Mike Sun

    Jono Guest

    Mike Sun pretended :
    > At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN line on a
    > Linksys SPA 3102
    >
    > |<9,:>x.<:mad:gw0>|
    >
    > Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one generated by
    > the ATA.
    >
    > I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    > simulated one.

    Turn the power off.

    > I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any detail
    > as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

    I'm not sure it's possible.

    Whilst the power is on, the Line 1 port & PSTN ports are distinctly
    separate. Only when the power is off & the internal relay trips is the
    phone connected to line 1 physically connected to the PSTN.

    Jono, Dec 1, 2007

  3. Mike Sun

    Andy Burns Guest

    On 01/12/2007 10:14, Jono wrote:

    >> I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    >> simulated one.

    > Turn the power off.

    That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that *sounds*
    exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.

    Andy Burns, Dec 1, 2007
  4. Mike Sun

    Jono Guest

    Andy Burns wrote :
    > On 01/12/2007 10:14, Jono wrote:
    >
    >>> I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    >>> simulated one.

    >> Turn the power off.

    > That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that *sounds*
    > exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.

    Although I like the fact that I can tell exactly which "line" I'm
    dialling over from the sound of the dial tone.

    Jono, Dec 1, 2007
  5. Mike Sun

    Mike Sun Guest

    Turning the power off certainly does the job but that's not so useful in all
    other respects I guess.

    I have no problem getting the dial tone simulation to be like the real BT
    tone but my preference would be to be able to monitor what's going on with
    the "actual" line - say line is out of order or a BT message is missed (such
    as "please try again") or the BT howler tone if line is left off hook for
    too long, etc.

    As you say, it may not be possible as there are 2 separate circuits involved
    but I thought I saw somewhere that it could be done...

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Dec 1, 2007
  6. > That's true, you can tweak the tone generation to get one that
    > *sounds* exactly like the BT dialtone if that helps.

    Absolutely! You can find all that under the regional settings tab. A useful
    website to find the right settings:
    http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/tone-search.htm

    You can choose any country you like :) At the bottom there is a conversion
    tool that translates all information into Sipura-settings:
    http://www.3amsystems.com/wireline/tone-search.htm?start=0&kCountry=184&format=Sipura

    Hope this helps,
    Christian

    Christian Leibbrandt, Dec 1, 2007
  7. Mike Sun

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Jono wrote:
    > Mike Sun pretended :
    >> At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN
    >> line on a Linksys SPA 3102
    >>
    >> |<9,:>x.<:mad:gw0>|
    >>
    >> Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one
    >> generated by the ATA.
    >>
    >> I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    >> simulated one.

    > Turn the power off.
    >

    >> I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any
    >> detail as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

    > I'm not sure it's possible.
    >
    > Whilst the power is on, the Line 1 port & PSTN ports are distinctly
    > separate. Only when the power is off & the internal relay trips is the
    > phone connected to line 1 physically connected to the PSTN.
    >

    >> Incidentally, the simulated dial tone times out after 3 seconds as
    >> defined by the "Interdigit Short Timer" parameter but I don't want to
    >> extend this as it would delay sending of a dialled number.
    >>
    >> Any comment would be much appreciated - Cheers from Mike.

    It is possible. It's a good while since I did it but I believe the dial
    plan is something like:

    <9:>S0<:mad:gw0>

    Then on the PSTN Line page you need to change the default dial plan for
    the VoIP-PSTN Gateway to "none". The setting is called "Line 1 VoIP
    Caller DP" if I remember correctly.

    I originally worked this out for a customer who was connecting SPA3000s
    to PBXs and wrote this document which might help you even more:

    http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/pbx_extension_setup.pdf

    cheers,
    Paul.

    --
    Working Email:

    paul-at-polog40-dot-co-dot-uk

    Paul Hayes, Dec 4, 2007
  8. Mike Sun

    Mike Sun Guest

    "Paul Hayes" <> wrote in message

    > It is possible. It's a good while since I did it but I believe the dial
    > plan is something like:
    >
    > <9:>S0<:mad:gw0>
    >
    > Then on the PSTN Line page you need to change the default dial plan for
    > the VoIP-PSTN Gateway to "none". The setting is called "Line 1 VoIP
    > Caller DP" if I remember correctly.

    Paul - your advice worked perfectly - many thanks for that. The only
    drawbacks I notice with this setup is that:-

    1. A pause would now be needed between the 9 and the phone number if one
    wants to dial out via PSTN from line 1.

    2. PSTN line may not clear down upon hang-up of line 1 - the remote caller
    would need to hang up (but this may be correct behaviour anyway for an
    incoming call).

    Anyway, it's nice to know that one has the option to configure this way or
    the standard way.

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Dec 4, 2007
  9. Mike Sun

    Jono Guest

    Paul Hayes wrote :
    > Jono wrote:
    >> Mike Sun pretended :
    >>> At present, I have this element of the dial plan to reach the PSTN line on
    >>> a Linksys SPA 3102
    >>>
    >>> |<9,:>x.<:mad:gw0>|
    >>>
    >>> Dialling 9 gives the PSTN dial tone but it is a simulated one generated by
    >>> the ATA.
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering how to obtain the actual BT dial tone rather than the
    >>> simulated one.

    >> Turn the power off.
    >>

    >>> I've seen posts on the subject saying it can be done but without any
    >>> detail as to what parameter or component of the dial plan is needed.

    >> I'm not sure it's possible.
    >>
    >> Whilst the power is on, the Line 1 port & PSTN ports are distinctly
    >> separate. Only when the power is off & the internal relay trips is the
    >> phone connected to line 1 physically connected to the PSTN.
    >>

    >>> Incidentally, the simulated dial tone times out after 3 seconds as defined
    >>> by the "Interdigit Short Timer" parameter but I don't want to extend this
    >>> as it would delay sending of a dialled number.
    >>>
    >>> Any comment would be much appreciated - Cheers from Mike.

    > It is possible. It's a good while since I did it but I believe the dial plan
    > is something like:
    >
    > <9:>S0<:mad:gw0>
    >
    > Then on the PSTN Line page you need to change the default dial plan for the
    > VoIP-PSTN Gateway to "none". The setting is called "Line 1 VoIP Caller DP"
    > if I remember correctly.
    >
    > I originally worked this out for a customer who was connecting SPA3000s to
    > PBXs and wrote this document which might help you even more:
    >
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/pdf/sipura/pbx_extension_setup.pdf

    Excellent.

    Learn something new every day!

    Jono, Dec 4, 2007