    media is write protected. Is there such a thing as write protected
    on smartmedia; can I get rid of it?

    tia

    aa, May 9, 2004

  2. aa

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    aa wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need to format a smartmedia card. I have the pqi reader/writer.
    > I right click on the drive letter, choose format, then start; the
    > formatting begins, but just at the end I get a message that the
    > media is write protected. Is there such a thing as write protected
    > on smartmedia; can I get rid of it?
    >
    > tia

    Hi...

    Don't do that... even if it did work depending on
    your os it would most likely be trying to format it
    fat32.

    Don't know pqi, but if it's write capable then you
    should have recieved a file on cd or disk with it
    called smprep.exe. Use this to format your card.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 9, 2004

  3. aa

    stewy Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message
    > > I need to format a smartmedia card. I have the pqi reader/writer.
    > > I right click on the drive letter, choose format, then start; the
    > > formatting begins, but just at the end I get a message that the
    > > media is write protected. Is there such a thing as write protected
    > > on smartmedia; can I get rid of it?

    > Don't do that... even if it did work depending on
    > your os it would most likely be trying to format it
    > fat32.
    >
    > Don't know pqi, but if it's write capable then you
    > should have recieved a file on cd or disk with it
    > called smprep.exe. Use this to format your card.

    Better still,use your camera to format the card.

    stewy, May 9, 2004
  4. aa

    RubbishRat Guest

    "aa" <111> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need to format a smartmedia card. I have the pqi reader/writer.
    > I right click on the drive letter, choose format, then start; the
    > formatting begins, but just at the end I get a message that the
    > media is write protected. Is there such a thing as write protected
    > on smartmedia; can I get rid of it?
    >
    > tia

    You can write protect a sm card by placing one of the small circular metalic
    stickers that you should have got when you bought your card on the circle
    printed near the contacts, or of course remove the sticker to restore write
    capability. As a previous poster pointed out the card shouldn't be formatted
    using FAT32 which is your PC default, use smprep.exe but I prefer to format
    the card in the camera.
    Pete

    RubbishRat, May 9, 2004
  5. aa

    aa Guest

    > You can write protect a sm card by placing one of the small circular
    metalic
    > stickers that you should have got when you bought your card on the circle
    > printed near the contacts, or of course remove the sticker to restore

    write
    > capability. As a previous poster pointed out the card shouldn't be

    formatted
    > using FAT32 which is your PC default, use smprep.exe but I prefer to

    format
    > the card in the camera.

    On Windows 2000 the default is FAT (not 32, presumably 16?!)
    I have not got this utility on the cdrom and my camera cannot
    format the card since the card is reported as faulty. However,
    I know what caused this problem,
    I removed the card from the camera while a write
    operation was going on. I am guessing that this messed up the
    formatting of the card, hence the problems. I need something that
    will revive this card, i.e. will force a clean format on it, as I believe
    (correct me if I am wrong) that a smart media card cannot be
    materially/physically damaged by interuppting a write, this at most
    can only damage the data/formatting, but it will not physically damage
    the flash memory.

    aa, May 9, 2004
  6. aa

    spdsl

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    I tried to load the drivers into my windows xp machine but no success. If all else fails try this website.
    http://www.smartmediarepair.com
    I gave this company a shot and they delivered as promised. They were able to reformat and add the panorama feature to my card.
    Sherri

    spdsl, Jul 14, 2006