how to force Mozilla 1.7 to rebuild all email index/summary files?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Marvin Glenn, ASNN, Jun 23, 2004.

  1. Mozilla 1.7 on Windoze, specifically the email client.

    Through a handful of bad moves, I've corrupted my email folders on
    Mozilla, and am trying to get it to rebuild the .msf summary/index
    file. So far I've deleted all the .msf file (per a bugzilla post I
    found regarding a similar issue on 1.5), and panacea.dat too.

    Still, after deleting such (with Mozilla not running, or course), when
    I go back into the email client, I see all my folder, but non of them
    show to have any email in them. Also, the cursor changes to the
    hour-glass, but Mozilla doesn't show to be using any significant
    processor time in the task manager, and expanding my email directory
    trees works fine. Mozilla recreates the .msf files, but they're of
    zero length. I inspected the email files directly from the disk, and
    they appear fine... look to be mbox, and have email still in them.

    Anyone know I can force Mozilla to rebuild all the indexes/summaries
    to see all the email that's in these files?

    TIA

    --
    RSA/2047 0x4D800185
    598B 63FE B065 2C35 DF67 5ADF E385 5E25
    Marvin Glenn, ASNN, Jun 23, 2004

  2. On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:26:23 GMT, "Marvin Glenn, ASNN"
    <> wrote:

    >Mozilla 1.7 on Windoze, specifically the email client.
    >
    >Through a handful of bad moves, I've corrupted my email folders on
    >Mozilla, and am trying to get it to rebuild the .msf summary/index
    >file. So far I've deleted all the .msf file (per a bugzilla post I
    >found regarding a similar issue on 1.5), and panacea.dat too.
    >
    >Still, after deleting such (with Mozilla not running, or course), when
    >I go back into the email client, I see all my folder, but non of them
    >show to have any email in them. Also, the cursor changes to the
    >hour-glass, but Mozilla doesn't show to be using any significant
    >processor time in the task manager, and expanding my email directory
    >trees works fine. Mozilla recreates the .msf files, but they're of
    >zero length. I inspected the email files directly from the disk, and
    >they appear fine... look to be mbox, and have email still in them.

    Self follow up...

    Mozilla has a problem when the profile/data folder is on a path that's
    mapped as \\COMPUTER_NAME\SHARE_NAME\PATH, rather than D:\WHATEVER.
    I'll be submitting a Bugzilla report once I have all my email cleaned
    up.

    Marvin Glenn, ASNN, Jun 24, 2004