    its not as simple as under 98

    could someone explain

    cheers
    mattboyle, Oct 28, 2003

  2. mattboyle wrote:
    > so how do you formatt under win xp
    > its not as simple as under 98
    >
    > could someone explain
    >
    > cheers

    use a win98 boot disk.
    makes it much easier.
    only works if you're on FAT32 though.
    Russell Smithies, Oct 28, 2003

  3. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    mattboyle wrote:

    > so how do you formatt under win xp
    > its not as simple as under 98
    >
    > could someone explain

    Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management,
    Storage(or something similar)...

    The rest is follow your nose type stuff.
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  4. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:36:27 +1300, "mattboyle" <> wrote:

    >so how do you formatt under win xp
    >its not as simple as under 98
    >
    >could someone explain
    >
    >cheers

    Its 100% the same..
    Nick Smith, Oct 28, 2003
  5. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:56:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >mattboyle wrote:
    >
    >> so how do you formatt under win xp
    >> its not as simple as under 98
    >>
    >> could someone explain

    >Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management,
    >Storage(or something similar)...
    >
    >The rest is follow your nose type stuff.

    Or dnload one of the Tools that all the Hard Drive makers provide..

    Seagate make a few one for a Blank HD and no system and another for a
    running system..
    Nick Smith, Oct 28, 2003
  6. mattboyle

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "mattboyle" <> wrote in message
    > so how do you formatt under win xp
    > its not as simple as under 98
    >
    > could someone explain
    >
    > cheers

    In the BIOS, boot from CD-ROM.
    Insert disk. . .
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 28, 2003
  7. mattboyle

    Rider Guest

    "¢_£¥ºÑ" <> wrote in message
    > "mattboyle" <> wrote in message
    > > so how do you formatt under win xp
    > > its not as simple as under 98
    > >
    > > could someone explain
    > >
    > > cheers

    > In the BIOS, boot from CD-ROM.
    > Insert disk. . .

    Wha????
    Rider, Oct 28, 2003
  8. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    Rider wrote:
    >>In the BIOS, boot from CD-ROM.
    >>Insert disk. . .

    > Wha????

    well you can do it from the XP CD... but that is kinda a long winded way
    of doing it.
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  9. mattboyle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > Rider wrote:
    >>> In the BIOS, boot from CD-ROM.
    >>> Insert disk. . .

    >> Wha????

    > well you can do it from the XP CD... but that is kinda a long winded
    > way of doing it.

    Not much more so than with a 98 bootdisk. And you get the choice of NTFS or
    FAT32, both with a fast format option.

    But yeah, 'computer management' - 'disk management' is the easiest way.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 28, 2003
  10. mattboyle

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:

    > >> Wha????

    > > well you can do it from the XP CD... but that is kinda a long winded
    > > way of doing it.

    > Not much more so than with a 98 bootdisk. And you get the choice of NTFS

    or
    > FAT32, both with a fast format option.
    >
    > But yeah, 'computer management' - 'disk management' is the easiest way.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    /me types wid 1 hand, surgery yesterday, bear with me.
    reason i said what i did is cause s/he didn't specify if an o/s was already
    installed.
    which would be difficult to use disk management.
    in the bios look for a setting that says 'boot sequence'.
    change it so cd-rom is first, save cmos then reboot with xp cd in place.
    then you can go about and do what eva.
    when done, change bios back so it boots from c drive. . .
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 28, 2003
  11. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    ¢_£¥ºÑ wrote:
    > reason i said what i did is cause s/he didn't specify if an o/s was already
    > installed.

    It seems that your damaged hand seems to have ruined your eye site too,
    see the subject.

    > which would be difficult to use disk management.

    Not under XP.
    T.N.O., Oct 28, 2003
  12. mattboyle

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > ¢_£¥ºÑ wrote:
    > > reason i said what i did is cause s/he didn't specify if an o/s was

    already
    > > installed.

    > It seems that your damaged hand seems to have ruined your eye site too,
    > see the subject.
    >
    > > which would be difficult to use disk management.

    > Not under XP.

    if the o/s (windoze) is not installed, how are they to use disk management ?

    Subject: How to fomatt your hard drive under win xp

    hmm, one to many T's, my eyes are getting better, thank you.
    i assumed they only had the one drive.
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Oct 29, 2003
  13. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:44:11 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >¢_£¥ºÑ wrote:
    >> reason i said what i did is cause s/he didn't specify if an o/s was already
    >> installed.

    >It seems that your damaged hand seems to have ruined your eye site too,
    >see the subject.
    >
    >> which would be difficult to use disk management.

    >Not under XP.

    Get a Hard Drive Install program that all the HD makers have on there web
    sites..
    Nick Smith, Oct 29, 2003
  14. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:19:35 +1100, "¢_£¥ºÑ" <> wrote:

    >"T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> ¢_£¥ºÑ wrote:
    >> > reason i said what i did is cause s/he didn't specify if an o/s was

    >already
    >> > installed.

    >> It seems that your damaged hand seems to have ruined your eye site too,
    >> see the subject.
    >>
    >> > which would be difficult to use disk management.

    >> Not under XP.
    >>

    >if the o/s (windoze) is not installed, how are they to use disk management ?
    >
    >Subject: How to fomatt your hard drive under win xp
    >
    >hmm, one to many T's, my eyes are getting better, thank you.
    >i assumed they only had the one drive.

    Get one of the HD Install programs that all the HD makers offer..
    Nick Smith, Oct 29, 2003
  15. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nick Smith wrote:
    > Get a Hard Drive Install program that all the HD makers have on there web
    > sites..

    But why? they were asking how to do it under XP, and they already have
    the util available in XP.
    T.N.O., Oct 29, 2003
  16. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:46:49 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Nick Smith wrote:
    >> Get a Hard Drive Install program that all the HD makers have on there web
    >> sites..

    >But why? they were asking how to do it under XP, and they already have
    >the util available in XP.

    They are a lot better.
    Nick Smith, Oct 29, 2003
  17. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    Nick Smith wrote:
    > They are a lot better.

    ok, so what makes them better?
    T.N.O., Oct 29, 2003
  18. mattboyle

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > mattboyle wrote:
    >
    > > so how do you formatt under win xp
    > > its not as simple as under 98
    > >
    > > could someone explain

    > Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management,
    > Storage(or something similar)...
    >
    > The rest is follow your nose type stuff.

    Yeah exactly. It couldn't be any easier under XP. Recently added a new 120gb
    HDD for a friend, and all i had to do was go to Admin Tools / Comp
    Management then Storage / Disk Management, right-click on the bugger and hit
    "format". NTFS, mind you...not FAT32..
    Lebowski, Oct 29, 2003
  19. mattboyle

    Nick Smith Guest

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:36:13 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Nick Smith wrote:
    >> They are a lot better.

    >ok, so what makes them better?

    They do not need to do a Drive check after a format of each partition, plus
    10 times easier to use..

    You would know if you tried one..
    Nick Smith, Oct 29, 2003
  20. mattboyle

    T.N.O. Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > Yeah exactly. It couldn't be any easier under XP. Recently added a new 120gb
    > HDD for a friend, and all i had to do was go to Admin Tools / Comp
    > Management then Storage / Disk Management, right-click on the bugger and hit
    > "format". NTFS, mind you...not FAT32..

    Matter of choice really, fat32 is still handy for when you want a drive
    that is easily accessable(read and write) from Dos(or Linux)
    T.N.O., Oct 29, 2003