    (CWS?), it's full of pop-ups and probably spyware. What is the best
    way to start to fix this system? I'd like to avoid a reformatting the
    system if possible, since he does have the system disks.

    Edge, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Edge

    Gel Guest

    Gel, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Edge

    John Holmes Guest

    Edge blabbered in alt.computer:

    > A friend asked me to help him fix is HP P3 Win 2000 which infected
    > with many viruses. He has not been running an up to date AV. Control
    > Panel does not appear in the start menu, Ad-aware won't remove spyware
    > (CWS?), it's full of pop-ups and probably spyware. What is the best
    > way to start to fix this system? I'd like to avoid a reformatting the
    > system if possible, since he does have the system disks.

    You would probably spend hours (if not days) removing, restarting,
    removing, restarting etc. Format and reinstall would be the quickest way.
    After all, you mentioned your buddy has the system disks. So that would
    be 2 hours work for you.

    --
    Your mother was a sickening fool who paraded herself nude in a mental
    hospital.

    John Holmes, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Edge

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    >A friend asked me to help him fix is HP P3 Win 2000 which infected
    > with many viruses. He has not been running an up to date AV. Control
    > Panel does not appear in the start menu, Ad-aware won't remove spyware
    > (CWS?), it's full of pop-ups and probably spyware. What is the best
    > way to start to fix this system? I'd like to avoid a reformatting the
    > system if possible, since he does have the system disks.

    If the person is dumb enough to run without an up to date AV and is running
    around on the Internet with the happy fingers clicking on everything under
    the Moon, then what can one say about it. The machine has most likely got
    malware that is knocking things out and is going to knock down anything you
    try to through at it.

    Your best bet is to *format* as you got no chance here - none.

    You help him by trying to harden the Win 2K O/S to acctack as much as
    possible by shutting doors like having a machine that has a direct
    connection to the Internet (no router between the modem and the computer)
    and shutdown services like File and Print Sharing and other services that
    are not needed along with other such security aspects. of configuring the
    O/S and harden it to attack..

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/securingwin2000.htm
    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

    Tell the person to stay off the Internet running with Admin rights on the
    Win 2k O/S and practice safehex.

    Duane :).

    Duane Arnold, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Edge

    Brian Guest

    If you don't have the system disks try running spybot first from safe mode
    to get rid of the spy/ad ware. After that run a program called a-squared. It
    takes a while to run and you need internet access the first time you run it.
    You can also get the personal version that links to Hijack This. After
    removing the spyware, try the Antivirus again. It should give you a better
    idea of the virii that are on there. You can then manually remove those that
    are not removed by the antivirus program. I use AVG as a free good start to
    identifying virii on a computer. From there check the NAI and Symantec
    databases for the remaining virii and removal instructions. It takes some
    time but it is possible. It just depends on how much time you want to spend
    removing vs reformatting.

    Brian, Apr 2, 2006