How To Find The Perfect Images Online

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by admin@viamen.com, Jul 18, 2006.

  1. Guest

    http://www.shopzero.com/buy_now/uk/...Keywords=photo&SearchIndex=node:Books:1025612

    Has this ever happened to you?

    You need a photo for a website, brochure, flyer, or CD / DVD cover.

    You buy one of those 100,000 photo and clipart collections on 10
    CD-ROMs hoping to find the "perfect" picture, but after hours of
    searching you find your brain tired, your mouse hand numb, and no
    "perfect" photo in sight.

    Fortunately, the photo and clipart business got a lot smarter online,
    and anyone who ever needs good photos at rock bottom prices stands to
    benefit.

    Buying one of those mega-photo collections to find one photo rates
    about the same as buying an entire aisle at the supermarket in hopes of
    finding a single Snicker bar!

    Personally, my shelves hold over 2,000,000 photo and clipart images on
    over 100 CD-ROMs, most of which rate quite useless to me.

    To further complicate matters, photo collections on CD-ROM tend to go
    out of date.

    Many of the photo collections I bought in the mid-1990's contain photos
    of people from the 1980's, so the hair, clothes and even makeup look
    out-of-date.

    The solution to this dilemma lies in the fact that you can now buy
    photos online at bargain-basement prices.

    Previously, in order to buy photos online, you either joined a
    membership site, which charges a monthly fee, or you bought by the
    photo from sites charging $100 or more for one photo.

    Do a search on google.com for "royalty free photo," "stock photo," or
    "buyout photo" and you'll find plenty of websites offering photos at
    premium prices (not to mention the confusion of finding what you want).

    Two excellent options for buying photos and clipart are ClipArt.com and
    BigStockPhoto.com.

    Clipart.com charges a membership fee to browse their database and
    download images.

    Their best deal is the yearly subscription of $169.95 (equates to about
    $15 a month) with unlimited downloads.

    This represents an excellent option if you plan to use a large number
    of images over the year, but I found the actual photos (they also carry
    clipart, sounds, illustrations and more) about average.

    http://www.shopzero.com/buy_now/uk/...Keywords=photo&SearchIndex=node:Books:1025612

    At BigStockPhoto.com I found the photos much more compelling and
    dramatic than ClipArt.com.

    I also like the fact that BigStockPhoto.com lets you buy only the
    photos you want by purchasing credits instead of paying for a
    membership.

    You can buy a single photo for $2.50, but the price per picture goes
    down when you buy multiple credits (10 gives you the first price
    break).

    Whenever you buy images, carefully read the fine print in the license
    about how you can and cannot use the images, especially for commercial
    purposes.

    It does you no good to buy an image you can't use. Beware of "free"
    clipart and photo websites, they can often display images of dubious
    origin.

    Also, free clipart sites frequently carry tons of banner and pop-up
    advertising (along with some more sinister spyware applications that
    install themselves automatically on your computer).

    Regardless of why you want them, buying images online now rates much
    better than buying a huge clipart collection and hoping to find what
    you need.

    And, by purchasing only the pictures you need, you'll save yourself
    significant time and money in the long run.

    http://www.shopzero.com/buy_now/uk/...Keywords=photo&SearchIndex=node:Books:1025612
    , Jul 18, 2006

  2. Helen Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Has this ever happened to you?

    No.

    > You need a photo for a website, brochure, flyer, or CD / DVD cover.

    [Rest of drivel snipped]

    Listen, we are digital photographers here. Why would we want to pay money
    for pictures that we could take all by ourselves? Even from those
    ridiculous microstock agencies that do nothing more than insult the
    photographer?
    Helen, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Neil Ellwood Guest

    Neil Ellwood, Jul 18, 2006