    server slow down the traffic, or, somewhere beyond the vpn server.

    Are there any tools to find out which point in the internet is causing the
    bandwidth throttling?
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 19, 2006

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    JohnO Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > I connect to a foreign clients servers using a VPN connection. But, when I
    > download large files from their lan the transfer rate is only about 13Kbps,
    > whereas my ADSL connection supports up to around 200Kbps.
    >
    > I've run a couple of basic tests, by downloading content from the
    > alternative US and Europe based public internet sites and I get actual
    > speeds of around 200Kbps.
    >
    > So, the speed throttling is does seem to be happening at their end. But, I
    > cannot be 100% certain where in the network this occurs ie, does the vpn
    > server slow down the traffic, or, somewhere beyond the vpn server.
    >
    > Are there any tools to find out which point in the internet is causing the
    > bandwidth throttling?

    I don't know how such a tool could work. The protocol (is it FTP, HTTP
    or what?) would not carry point to point rate information to allow the
    information you need to be reported. Traceroute can get you a rough
    idea but it's just a ping transit time rather than rate of data
    transfer.
    JohnO, Apr 20, 2006

  3. "JohnO" <> wrote in message

    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >> I connect to a foreign clients servers using a VPN connection. But, when
    >> download large files from their lan the transfer rate is only about
    >> 13Kbps,
    >> whereas my ADSL connection supports up to around 200Kbps.
    >>
    >> I've run a couple of basic tests, by downloading content from the
    >> alternative US and Europe based public internet sites and I get actual
    >> speeds of around 200Kbps.
    >>
    >> So, the speed throttling is does seem to be happening at their end. But,
    >> cannot be 100% certain where in the network this occurs ie, does the vpn
    >> server slow down the traffic, or, somewhere beyond the vpn server.
    >>
    >> Are there any tools to find out which point in the internet is causing
    >> the
    >> bandwidth throttling?

    > I don't know how such a tool could work. The protocol (is it FTP, HTTP
    > or what?) would not carry point to point rate information to allow the
    > information you need to be reported. Traceroute can get you a rough
    > idea but it's just a ping transit time rather than rate of data
    > transfer.

    I told my client that I think they need to check their network speed but
    they said the problem must be with my ISP.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 20, 2006