how to find right update for my BIOS?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Chris, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm about to move from Win98 to XP, and put in a new (bigger) hard
    drive, so it seems a good time to upgrade my AMI BIOS.

    I have a Gigabyte motherboard, a GA-6VXE7+

    However when I go to the giga-byte web site, the upgrade that they
    offer says: supports Intel Pentium III Coppermine D CPU (only PCB3.0)

    However my processor is an Athlon 1GHz - so will it still work? AMI
    say that they can supply the latest upgrade, but they charge nearly
    $30.

    I would be grateful for any advice on this. If it's any help, the
    full BIOS ID is:

    BIOS date: 08/21/00

    BIOS id: 62-1005-001199-00101111-071595-IRONGATE-GA7IX002

    OEM sign on: 7IXE4 F7

    Chipset: AMD 751 rev 37

    Many thanks!

    Chris, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Chris

    Plato Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm about to move from Win98 to XP, and put in a new (bigger) hard
    > drive, so it seems a good time to upgrade my AMI BIOS.

    What specific feature of the bios upgrade do you need?

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Chris

    kony Guest

    On 13 Dec 2004 11:02:40 -0800,
    (Chris) wrote:

    >I'm about to move from Win98 to XP, and put in a new (bigger) hard
    >drive, so it seems a good time to upgrade my AMI BIOS.
    >
    >I have a Gigabyte motherboard, a GA-6VXE7+

    Either it's not a 6VXE7+, or you don't have an Athlon in it.
    That is a socket 370 board, won't run an Athlon.

    >However when I go to the giga-byte web site, the upgrade that they
    >offer says: supports Intel Pentium III Coppermine D CPU (only PCB3.0)
    >
    >However my processor is an Athlon 1GHz - so will it still work? AMI
    >say that they can supply the latest upgrade, but they charge nearly
    >$30.
    >

    >I would be grateful for any advice on this. If it's any help, the
    >full BIOS ID is:
    >
    >BIOS date: 08/21/00
    >
    >BIOS id: 62-1005-001199-00101111-071595-IRONGATE-GA7IX002
    >
    >OEM sign on: 7IXE4 F7
    >
    >Chipset: AMD 751 rev 37
    >

    >Many thanks!

    You appear to have a GA-7IXE4, currently running bios rev.
    F7. Confirm that this is correct (it should be printed on
    the board itself), and here's the webpage for 7IXE4,
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7IXE4.htm
    which has a link to the bios updates for THAT board... all
    you have to do is confirm it's the same as yours.

    kony, Dec 13, 2004