    I am currently looking at a new computer with the x64 Win operating system.
    I don't want to spend big money and not be able to use any of my existing
    stuff.

    =?Utf-8?B?SkJG?=, Jul 8, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SkJG?=

    John Barnes Guest

    All the drivers for your stuff will be 32-bit. As to the availability of
    64-bit drivers, forget the scanner, printers check the mfg site, video
    cards, if it is recent, you should be able to find drivers and since you
    will be replacing the one that comes with the machine, I assume it is recent
    and faster. As to other items, Logitech seems to be delivering on drivers,
    while Microsoft can't seem to do anything, so hope you don't have Microsoft
    hardware. As to software, most, only means more than half. You can search
    the site and see others results with software. If you have x86 on your
    current machine, if it is retail XP you can move it and dual boot. If OEM
    you take the risk.
    Your best bet would be to buy your new machine with x86 and get the trial
    version of x64, dual boot and try everything before you switch. If you
    hurry, you will be able to use the TAP program if everything is OK.

    John Barnes, Jul 8, 2005

  3. "JBF" <> wrote in message
    >I understnad that most 32 bit app's will run on windows x64. How do I
    >check
    > to see whether my drivers for my printers, scanners, video cards are 32
    > bit.
    > I am currently looking at a new computer with the x64 Win operating
    > system.
    > I don't want to spend big money and not be able to use any of my existing
    > stuff.

    Apps yes but -- No 32-bit drivers will run under the x64 releases.
    So you need to go to the vendors web sites for each of those components to
    see if they have x64 (64-bit) drivers available.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --