How to find out hard drive size?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by old jon, Oct 8, 2005.

  1. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    > 20GB
    > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    > drive,
    > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used at
    > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it would
    > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
    > has
    > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it
    > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
    > so,
    > how do I check if these exist?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kirsty.

    Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will tell you
    everything
    about your computer. (for free).
    best wishes..OJ

    Kirsty, Oct 8, 2005

  3. "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    > 20GB
    > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    > drive,
    > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used at
    > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it would
    > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
    > has
    > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it
    > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
    > so,
    > how do I check if these exist?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kirsty.

    Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be about
    right for a "20GB" HDD.

    My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
    seperate drives.
    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Oct 8, 2005
  4. old jon

    John Holmes Guest

    Kirsty blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    > 20GB hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the
    > C: drive, it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as
    > it was used at work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he
    > feels sure it would have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of
    > the pc it IT technician has written the spec and this includes the
    > line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it possible that there are two more
    > hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so, how do I check if these
    > exist?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Kirsty.

    Assuming you are running xp or 2000, right click my computer, manage, disk
    management. It'll tell you all about the disks and partitions in the
    machine. Oh, and ignore old jon, he's a heavy drinker and probably stone-
    drunk at this hour.
    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was a miserable airhead who was exhibited in a freak-show in
    disused mines.

    John Holmes, Oct 8, 2005
  5. old jon

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has

    > > 20GB
    > > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    > > drive,
    > > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was

    used at
    > > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

    would
    > > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT

    technician
    > > has
    > > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'.

    Is it
    > > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere?

    If
    > > so,
    > > how do I check if these exist?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Kirsty.
    > >

    > Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will

    tell you
    > everything
    > about your computer. (for free).
    > best wishes..OJ

    Kirsty,

    When you have downloaded Everest Home check under Storage > Logical
    Drives.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 8, 2005
  6. old jon

    Kirsty Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    > > 20GB
    > > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    > > drive,
    > > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

    at
    > > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

    would
    > > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
    > > has
    > > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

    it
    > > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
    > > so,
    > > how do I check if these exist?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Kirsty.
    > >

    > Google for, and D\load `Everest Home`. Install and run it. It will tell

    you
    > everything
    > about your computer. (for free).
    > best wishes..OJ

    Thanks for your quick reply! I downloaded Everest onto this pc (not the new
    one) just to check it out - it does what I need, so when I have time
    tomorrow I'll hook the other one up to the modem and find out all about it.

    Thanks again,
    Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Oct 8, 2005
  7. old jon

    Kirsty Guest

    "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    > > My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    > > 20GB
    > > hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    > > drive,
    > > it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

    at
    > > work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

    would
    > > have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
    > > has
    > > written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

    it
    > > possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
    > > so,
    > > how do I check if these exist?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Kirsty.

    > Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be

    about
    > right for a "20GB" HDD.
    >
    > My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
    > seperate drives.
    > **SS**

    (Apologies for just sending this to your email instead of the group by
    mistake.)

    That's interesting - on mine it definitely only shows the 2GB drive. If
    indeed it is one drive partitioned into three, does anyone know if there is
    a way to 'un-partition' it so it just shows one larger drive instead of
    three small ones?

    Kirsty.

    Kirsty, Oct 8, 2005
  8. old jon

    WormWood Guest

    > "Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    >> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has
    >> a 20GB
    >> hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    >> drive,
    >> it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was
    >> used at
    >> work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it
    >> would
    >> have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT
    >> technician has
    >> written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'.
    >> Is it
    >> possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere?
    >> If so,
    >> how do I check if these exist?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Kirsty.

    > Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be
    > about right for a "20GB" HDD.
    >
    > My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
    > seperate drives.
    > **SS**

    I agree.

    WormWood, Oct 8, 2005
  9. old jon

    old jon Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > Kirsty blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    >> 20GB hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the
    >> C: drive, it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as
    >> it was used at work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he
    >> feels sure it would have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of
    >> the pc it IT technician has written the spec and this includes the
    >> line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it possible that there are two more
    >> hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so, how do I check if these
    >> exist?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Kirsty.
    >>

    > Assuming you are running xp or 2000, right click my computer, manage, disk
    > management. It'll tell you all about the disks and partitions in the
    > machine. Oh, and ignore old jon, he's a heavy drinker and probably stone-
    > drunk at this hour.
    > ;-)

    Will you behave JH. And I know all about your mother too. <G>.
    OJ

    old jon, Oct 8, 2005
  10. old jon

    Peptide One Guest

    Kirsty wrote the following on 10/8/2005 4:52 AM:
    > "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has a
    >>>20GB
    >>>hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    >>>drive,
    >>>it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was used

    > at
    >
    >>>work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it

    > would
    >
    >>>have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT technician
    >>>has
    >>>written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is

    > it
    >
    >>>possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If
    >>>so,
    >>>how do I check if these exist?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Kirsty.

    >>Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be

    > about
    >
    >>right for a "20GB" HDD.
    >>
    >>My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
    >>seperate drives.
    >>**SS**
    >>

    > (Apologies for just sending this to your email instead of the group by
    > mistake.)
    >
    > That's interesting - on mine it definitely only shows the 2GB drive. If
    > indeed it is one drive partitioned into three, does anyone know if there is
    > a way to 'un-partition' it so it just shows one larger drive instead of
    > three small ones?
    >
    > Kirsty.

    That would require either Partition Magic:
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    or using fdisk.

    --
    Beauty is only epithelial cells deep.

    Peptide One, Oct 8, 2005
  11. old jon

    John Holmes Guest

    old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> Kirsty blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has
    >>> a 20GB hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on
    >>> the C: drive, it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be
    >>> correct as it was used at work by someone who did a lot of graphics
    >>> work and he feels sure it would have had more than 2GB storage. On
    >>> the front of the pc it IT technician has written the spec and this
    >>> includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'. Is it possible that there
    >>> are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere? If so, how do I
    >>> check if these exist?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Kirsty.
    >>>

    >> Assuming you are running xp or 2000, right click my computer, manage,
    >> disk management. It'll tell you all about the disks and partitions in
    >> the machine. Oh, and ignore old jon, he's a heavy drinker and
    >> probably stone- drunk at this hour.
    >> ;-)
    >>

    > Will you behave JH. And I know all about your mother too. <G>.
    > OJ

    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was a dim-witted clod who liked to do it with strangers on
    drugs.

    John Holmes, Oct 8, 2005
  12. old jon

    Alan Guest

    WormWood wrote:
    > "Secret Squiddle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Kirsty" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My husband bought a computer from work yesterday and was told it has
    >>>a 20GB
    >>>hard drive. However, when I go to 'My Computer' and click on the C:
    >>>drive,
    >>>it shows a 2GB drive. He thinks this cannot be correct as it was
    >>>used at
    >>>work by someone who did a lot of graphics work and he feels sure it
    >>>would
    >>>have had more than 2GB storage. On the front of the pc it IT
    >>>technician has
    >>>written the spec and this includes the line '4GB HD + 13GB + 2GB'.
    >>>Is it
    >>>possible that there are two more hard drives hidden away somewhere?
    >>>If so,
    >>>how do I check if these exist?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance,
    >>>Kirsty.

    >>Sounds like the 1 Hard drive is partitioned into three. 19GB would be
    >>about right for a "20GB" HDD.
    >>
    >>My computer should show all 3 partitions, but they will appear to be
    >>seperate drives.
    >>**SS**
    >>

    > I agree.

    I just installed Everest (Looks alot like AIDA32) Look at either the
    Computer Summary section for Partitions and see if you see 3 drive
    letters there OR something similar in Storage, Logical Drives.

    Alan, Oct 9, 2005