how to find original image name?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Capitan Mutanda, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Hello!

    While doing a sw inventory I came across a WS-C2924-XL that some smart
    (sic)
    guy upgraded using a file with a different filename than the Cisco
    one. What
    sho vers says is

    Copyright (c) 1986-1903 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Thu 17-Jul-03 12:35 by antonino
    Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0020E2E0

    ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

    Switch uptime is 6 hours, 32 minutes
    System restarted by reload
    System image file is "flash:new.bin",
    cisco WS-C2924-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with
    4096K/640K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID 0x07, with hardware revision 0x00
    Last reset from warm-reset

    Processor is running Enterprise Edition Software
    Cluster member switch capable
    24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

    Is there a way to recover the original name such as c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-

    TIA

    /CM
     
    Capitan Mutanda, Sep 11, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Capitan Mutanda

    AM Guest

    Capitan Mutanda wrote:

    > Is there a way to recover the original name such as c2900XL-c3h2s-mz-


    A little bit long but you can perform hash calculations on yours and compare it against those of all of the Cisco images
    you think are candidates to reside on your switch. Hopefully not all the Cisco images for your switch.

    Sorry :-(
     
    AM, Sep 11, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Capitan Mutanda

    Merv Guest

    connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
    the output of
    "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful
     
    Merv, Sep 11, 2006
    #3
  4. Merv wrote:
    > connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
    > the output of
    > "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful


    I just tried/found and alternative

    strings image.bin

    and you get interesting info

    CW_BEGIN$
    CW_FAMILY$
    CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
    CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
    CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
    CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
    CW_MEDIA$RAM$
    CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$

    many a show memory could do the same....

    /CM
     
    Capitan Mutanda, Sep 11, 2006
    #4
  5. Capitan Mutanda

    Guest

    Capitan Mutanda wrote:
    > Merv wrote:
    > > connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
    > > the output of
    > > "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

    >
    > I just tried/found and alternative
    >
    > strings image.bin
    >
    > and you get interesting info
    >
    > CW_BEGIN$
    > CW_FAMILY$
    > CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    > CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
    > CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
    > CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
    > CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
    > CW_MEDIA$RAM$
    > CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    >
    > many a show memory could do the same....
    >
    > /CM


    Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the
    output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines
    missing.

    I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the
    output from the first IOS device that I came across.

    B1>sh ver
    Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4,
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih
    Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
    System returned to ROM by power-on
    System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006
    System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"

    You can see that the image name corresponds closely with
    version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just
    indicates that the image is compressed.

    (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4
    flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin

    Please go back and check your show ver output. I have
    never seen a cisco device that did not correctly
    report the software version that was running.
     
    , Sep 12, 2006
    #5
  6. Capitan Mutanda

    James Guest

    Could be a maintenance release to fix a certaing bug sent by TAC.

    I had a release called something like that for a 3845 a few months
    back. Notice the date also says 1903 :)

    James

    wrote:
    > Capitan Mutanda wrote:
    > > Merv wrote:
    > > > connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
    > > > the output of
    > > > "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful

    > >
    > > I just tried/found and alternative
    > >
    > > strings image.bin
    > >
    > > and you get interesting info
    > >
    > > CW_BEGIN$
    > > CW_FAMILY$
    > > CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    > > CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
    > > CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
    > > CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
    > > CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
    > > CW_MEDIA$RAM$
    > > CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > > CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    > >
    > > many a show memory could do the same....
    > >
    > > /CM

    >
    > Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the
    > output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines
    > missing.
    >
    > I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the
    > output from the first IOS device that I came across.
    >
    > B1>sh ver
    > Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4,
    > RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    > TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    > Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    > Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih
    > Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000
    >
    > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
    > System returned to ROM by power-on
    > System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006
    > System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"
    >
    > You can see that the image name corresponds closely with
    > version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just
    > indicates that the image is compressed.
    >
    > (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4
    > flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin
    >
    > Please go back and check your show ver output. I have
    > never seen a cisco device that did not correctly
    > report the software version that was running.
     
    James, Sep 12, 2006
    #6
  7. Capitan Mutanda

    Guest

    James wrote:
    > Could be a maintenance release to fix a certaing bug sent by TAC.
    >
    > I had a release called something like that for a 3845 a few months
    > back. Notice the date also says 1903 :)
    >
    > James
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Capitan Mutanda wrote:
    > > > Merv wrote:
    > > > > connect it to another switch with CDP enabled on its port and see if
    > > > > the output of
    > > > > "show cdp nei detail" give you naything useful
    > > >
    > > > I just tried/found and alternative
    > > >
    > > > strings image.bin
    > > >
    > > > and you get interesting info
    > > >
    > > > CW_BEGIN$
    > > > CW_FAMILY$
    > > > CW_BEGIN$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    > > > CW_IMAGE$C2900XL-C3H2S-M$
    > > > CW_FAMILY$C2900XL$
    > > > CW_FEATURE$ENTERPRISE|COMMAND-CAPABLE$
    > > > CW_VERSION$12.0(5)XU$
    > > > CW_MEDIA$RAM$
    > > > CW_SYSDESCR$Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > > > CW_END$-gs-c3h2s-m$
    > > >
    > > > many a show memory could do the same....
    > > >
    > > > /CM

    > >
    > > Usually sh ver has the image version at the top and the
    > > output that you have posted appears to have the top few lines
    > > missing.
    > >
    > > I do not have a switchlike yours however here is the
    > > output from the first IOS device that I came across.
    > >
    > > B1>sh ver
    > > Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > > IOS (tm) 3700 Software (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4,
    > > RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    > > TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    > > Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    > > Compiled Mon 12-Jan-04 18:43 by dchih
    > > Image text-base: 0x60008954, data-base: 0x61AFA000
    > >
    > > ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    > > B1 uptime is 1 week, 2 days, 11 hours, 43 minutes
    > > System returned to ROM by power-on
    > > System restarted at 11:46:10 GMT Sat Sep 2 2006
    > > System image file is "flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin"
    > >
    > > You can see that the image name corresponds closely with
    > > version displayed in the second line. The difference, "z", just
    > > indicates that the image is compressed.
    > >
    > > (C3725-IPVOICE-M), Version 12.3(2)T4
    > > flash:c3725-ipvoice-mz.123-2.T4.bin
    > >
    > > Please go back and check your show ver output. I have
    > > never seen a cisco device that did not correctly
    > > report the software version that was running.


    I guess it could be buggy software. I think that the version
    gets displayed on the console during bootup
    and it is also available via snmp.

    ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr
    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1

    Might be worth a try.
     
    , Sep 12, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark Wenholz
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    7,365
    Chris F
    Jul 21, 2003
  2. Keith
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    320
    Keith
    Jul 29, 2004
  3. frank1492
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    629
    Paul Bartram
    Aug 21, 2004
  4. Louise

    changing without deteriorating original image

    Louise, Apr 2, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    431
  5. Kompu Kid
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    621
    ProfGene
    Feb 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page