  1. John

    John Guest

    how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

    John, Mar 24, 2006

  2. John

    John Guest

    yes it was preinstalled, and it do not say x64
    Don't they give 64 bit reinstalled these days?
    I guessed it is 32 cause when I try to install 64bit SQL server it started
    saying it is not valid Win32 file.
    Only that I was not sure how to find it as "winver" did not show anything
    regarding x64.

    John, Mar 24, 2006

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thx.

    John, Mar 24, 2006
  4. John wrote:
    > how to find if my XP OS is 64 or 32 bit?

    If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit
    version of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm sure you'd have
    noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the Itanium or Itanium
    II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro, or whether or
    not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or Intel EM64T CPU.
    There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC,
    or WinXP MCE.

    Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

    To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and
    press <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state
    that you have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional
    x64 Edition," then you have a 32-bit OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

    Bruce Chambers, Mar 24, 2006
  5. John

    John Guest

    > If you have to ask, you're almost certainly running the 32-bit version
    > of WinXP. I'm not trying to be facetious;

    Why your answer sounds so familier. Maybe you replied the same way some
    other place.
    Anyways, I don't agree on this. Just because I am asking do not make it
    "certain" that I am running 32bit. My question was more towards conferming
    rather asking as I am not into 64bit computing 24 hours as many on this
    group might be and they might surely know few minor things better that comes
    with the field.

    > I'm sure you'd have noticed paying several thousand dollars more for the
    > Itanium or Itanium II CPU required to run the 64-bit version of WinXP Pro,
    > or whether or not you purchased a computer with an AMD Athlon64 or Intel
    > EM64T CPU.

    My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
    bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new machine.
    Again your assumtion is wrong just because I asked that question did not
    made it "certain". It could have been 64bit and I might have still asked
    just because I did not know how 64bit Windows XP display its credentials.

    > There are, of course, no 64-bit versions of WinXP Home, WinXP TabletPC, or
    > WinXP MCE.

    I already know that.

    > Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Overview
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/overview.asp

    I did some research on this site for the answer for my question already
    before I posted my question. This makes "certain" that I could not find the
    answer on that site that is why I posted that question.

    > To verify for yourself, Click Start > Run, type in "Winver" and press
    > <Enter>. If the resulting dialog box does not _explicitly_ state that you
    > have "Windows XP 64-Bit Edition" or "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition,"
    > then you have a 32-bit OS.

    I already did that and basic problem was I did not know how WinXP should
    display (or will even display) that information.

    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    How can you even help others when you already classified thier question as
    smart or stupid question.
    Smart question for you: "Am I going to ask you any question again?"
    My smart (or maybe stupid for you) answer: NO way.

    John, Mar 24, 2006
  6. Dell.com is selling XPS 400's (with a EM64T 2.8 Giga Hertz Pentium D 820
    Processor) for only $999, just FYI.

    Kevin John Panzke, Mar 24, 2006
  7. Most OEM's are shipping 32 Bit Windows XP Media Center Edition, with their
    64 Bit Computer's.

    Kevin John Panzke, Mar 24, 2006
  8. A lot of OEMs are not bundling Windows XP Professional x64 because they say:
    there is not much demand for it
    Support cost
    Support for devices that you might add to the system that might not be
    supported by the system

    Hopefully Vista which will have 64bit support will be more consumer
    friendly, with greater support from the industry.

    You can purchase the Full OEM Version of Windows XP Professional from the
    following vendors:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog
    http://www.ncix.com
    http://www.directron.com
    http://www.newegg.com
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 24, 2006
  9. > My system is AMD64 X2 and that is why I was wondering why my OS is not 64
    > bit. Kind of made me upset as I was expecting 64bit OS on this new
    > machine.

    I wouldn't *expect* anybody to preload a 64-bit OS even on a machine based
    on the latest and greatest X2 or EM64T-capable CPU. It'll be a while still
    before any OEM preloads a 64-bit OS "by default"--that is, unless you
    specifically ask for something else.

    Nothing wrong with asking though, especially if you went in with that
    belief.

    BTW, as far as XP is concerned, the 64-bit version has the same version
    number as 2003 (5.2.3790--off the top of my head). 32-bit XP is 5.1.2600
    (try "ver" at a command prompt)

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 24, 2006
  10. John

    Rick Guest

    Apparently you weren't paying attention in class!

    Windows x64 is the same code base as Server 2003. That's why the
    difference in version numbers. Win x64 is not an upgrade of Win XP 32-bit.

    Also, if you had stayed awake, Win x64 w/SP1 is the same security level
    as Win XP w/SP2 (32-bit).

    Rick, Mar 24, 2006
  11. Then it's 32-bit. You could get either on a new installation, depending on
    what you asked for, and what the default is for the vendor on that
    particular model.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Probably because there is NO MCE that is 64-bit.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    >>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  13. And, frankly, at this point, I agree with that. x64 shouldn't be automatic
    at this point, until the driver situation improves. You should have an
    option for it, but you shouldn't get it without specifying.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  14. And I built my last x64 machine for a friend for about $700. Admittedly, I
    did recycle a video card.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  15. John

    John Barnes Guest

    I know for you professional and business users it is mostly a driver issue,
    but for consumers you can add a lot of software. Many have favourite
    programs they have accumulated over the years that will not run on 64-bit,
    drivers in the install for one, but many 16-bit programs and installers and
    others just won't run properly.

    John Barnes, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Actually the codebase is Server 2003 SP1. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 24, 2006
  17. Was it a dual core processor?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 24, 2006
  18. True. And the 16 bit installer problem isn't going to go away, I'm afraid. I
    know MS would like to add some additional 'automatic failover' scenarios,
    but I don't know if they'll be able to. And the steps it would take to get
    around the problem for a specific program is just too much for most
    individuals. (Basically installing it on another machine and capturing all
    the changes, then replaying them on the x64 machine. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  19. not at that price, no. I actually used it as a mechanism to upgrade my 3500+
    to a 3800+ - sold her my "used" 3500+ for a good price, and got myself a
    3800+ to get dual core on that machine. It's my main VM server, so is
    happier with dual cores.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 24, 2006
  20. > Apparently you weren't paying attention in class!

    > Windows x64 is the same code base as Server 2003. That's why the
    > difference in version numbers. Win x64 is not an upgrade of Win XP
    > 32-bit.
    >
    > Also, if you had stayed awake, Win x64 w/SP1 is the same security level as
    > Win XP w/SP2 (32-bit).

    ??! Where the hell is this coming from?

    I wasn't suggesting ANYTHING that would imply that XP64 was an "upgrade"
    from XP32, nor was I trying to get into a discussion on its closer
    similarities with 2003. I was just pointing out a simple method to
    determine one version from the next, NOTHING MORE.

    Why don't YOU wake up and realize what this thread's really about before
    going off on a tangent?

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 24, 2006