How to find Bandwidth utilization of Cisco 2948G???

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Arunkumar, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Arunkumar

    Arunkumar Guest

    Dear all
    I have modelled Cisco catalyst 2948G.It has 48+2 ports which were
    assumed as interfaces.Since it supports RFC1213,Interface Utilisation
    of each port is calculated based on
    800 * max( $ifInOctets,$ifOutOctets ) / $ifSpeed*timeInterval

    Now i need to find "Bandwidth Utilisation" of Switch.In CISCO-STACK
    MIB,node "sysTraffic" with oid ..1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.1.8 states:
    "Traffic meter value, i.e. the percentage of bandwidth utilization for
    the
    previous polling interval".

    But i read somewhere it gives the value of the "Backplane Utilisation"
    of switch and not "Bandwidth Utilisation".my question is
    1.)What is the difference between two?
    2.)If "sysTraffic" points to BackplaneUtilisation,how is Bandwidth
    Utilisation of a switch

    Thanks in advance
    E.L.R.Arunkumar
    www.adventnet.com

    Arunkumar, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Arunkumar wrote:
    > Dear all
    > I have modelled Cisco catalyst 2948G.It has 48+2 ports which were
    > assumed as interfaces.Since it supports RFC1213,Interface Utilisation
    > of each port is calculated based on
    > 800 * max( $ifInOctets,$ifOutOctets ) / $ifSpeed*timeInterval
    >
    > Now i need to find "Bandwidth Utilisation" of Switch.In CISCO-STACK
    > MIB,node "sysTraffic" with oid ..1.3.6.1.4.1.9.5.1.1.8 states:
    > "Traffic meter value, i.e. the percentage of bandwidth utilization for
    > the
    > previous polling interval".
    >
    > But i read somewhere it gives the value of the "Backplane Utilisation"
    > of switch and not "Bandwidth Utilisation".my question is
    > 1.)What is the difference between two?
    > 2.)If "sysTraffic" points to BackplaneUtilisation,how is Bandwidth
    > Utilisation of a switch
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > E.L.R.Arunkumar
    > www.adventnet.com

    I think you need to be a bit clearer about exactly what the "bandwidth
    utilisation" of a switch means.

    Imagine a switch in whch two ports are active, both 10M, and traffic is
    streaming at 10M from port 1 to port 2, with nothing in the other
    direction. What is the bandwith utilisation? 100% or 50%?

    Now plug in a third 10M port which carries no traffic. Is the
    utilisation now 66% or 33%?

    Now change that silent third port from 10M to 100M. What's the
    utilisation now?

    It seems reasonable to me to give the utilisation of the backplane,
    which is a known fixed capability.

    Steve

    Steve Horsley, Feb 21, 2004