    for example IP 203.97.2.242

    Looking forward to your replies
    NZed
    NZed, Jul 19, 2003

  2. NZed

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:26:23 +1200, "NZed" <> had
    this to say:

    >How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
    >for example IP 203.97.2.242
    >
    >Looking forward to your replies
    >NZed

    It's called rDNS (or Reverse DNS).

    Shoot on over to www.samspade.org.

    The rDNS for the above IP address is:

    netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz
    Gurble, Jul 19, 2003

  3. NZed

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
    >for example IP 203.97.2.242
    >
    >Looking forward to your replies
    >NZed

    Use the nslookup command.

    This is on Linux, but the same applies to Windows:

    xxxxxx:~# nslookup 203.97.2.242
    Note: nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
    Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead. Run nslookup
    with
    the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
    Server: 192.168.1.67
    Address: 192.168.1.67#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    242.2.97.203.in-addr.arpa name =
    netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz.

    2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns1.clear.net.nz.
    2.97.203.in-addr.arpa nameserver = dns2.clear.net.nz.
    dns1.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.33.1
    dns2.clear.net.nz internet address = 203.97.37.1

    This doesn't appear to be an actual site name. Even it was, the IP
    address could apply to a number of sites on the same machine, using
    the same IP address but different host headers. There *is* a server at
    that address. Without poking it a bit and annoying the sysadmin, it's
    impossible to tell what.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2003
  4. NZed

    NZed Guest

    Thanks for your response.
    I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
    visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
    NZed

    NZed, Jul 19, 2003
  5. NZed

    Jay Guest

    NZed wrote:

    > How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
    > for example IP 203.97.2.242
    >
    > Looking forward to your replies
    > NZed

    dig -x 203.97.2.242
    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  6. "NZed" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your response.
    > I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
    > visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
    > NZed

    Doubt it. Looks like it's the caching mechanism from clix.net.nz

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 19, 2003
  7. NZed

    Enkidu Guest

    If it is accessing *your* web server on port 80, it's not a website.
    It's a user, possibly a spider, or maybe even a mild attackbot.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2003
  8. NZed

    T.N.O. Guest

    NZed wrote:

    > How do I find a website address from its IP address ?
    > for example IP 203.97.2.242
    >
    > Looking forward to your replies
    > NZed

    it is netcache1-acld.auckland.clix.net.nz

    Ask Clix..
    T.N.O., Jul 19, 2003
  9. NZed

    Tony Guest

    "NZed" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your response.
    > I have been looking at my stats on my website and this one seems to be
    > visiting often....I wonder if its a search robot ?
    > NZed

    That is a Netcache ( http://www.netapp.com/products/netcache/ ) cache server
    housed in Symonds St in Auckland, all "clix" ( ie the old Clearnet )
    customers will pass though this ( or the other one sitting above it ) cache
    for international web browsing.
    Tony, Jul 20, 2003
  10. NZed

    constantinum