    therefore i cannot scan for the usual rude words. As its from a different
    'person'every time how can i filter this unwanted mail out?

    Ta
    SS, Aug 5, 2006

  2. SS

    PeeCee Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    news:j87Bg.23094$...
    >I keep getting spam from different user every time but similar messages,
    > however the message seems to be pasted into the email as one picture and
    > therefore i cannot scan for the usual rude words. As its from a different
    > 'person'every time how can i filter this unwanted mail out?
    >
    > Ta

    With great difficulty.

    Sorry to be flippant but I believe even Symantec's Brightmail filters (read
    Industrial strength, as used by ISPs and big corporations) are having
    trouble filtering these out.
    They had developed filters that recognised pictures inserted into emails,
    but the spamers worked out a way to subtly modify each emails picture so it
    looked different to the filters.
    Because each picture is different it is harder to detect spam runs.

    Some of the options you have include:

    Only accepting mail below a certain size & advising your friends / family
    etc to only send 'text' messages ie no HTML or attachments.
    Or you could try rejecting all emails except from your friends/family etc,
    what's know as a white list.
    Change your Email client to one that has the abiltiy to better handle such
    emails with rules and learning spam filters.

    Other than that one has to live with it, just like traffic on the road or
    crowds at a football game.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Aug 6, 2006

  3. On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 20:24:47 +0000, SS wrote:

    > I keep getting spam from different user every time but similar messages,
    > however the message seems to be pasted into the email as one picture and
    > therefore i cannot scan for the usual rude words. As its from a different
    > 'person'every time how can i filter this unwanted mail out?

    SpamAssassin (http://www.spamassassin.apache.org) now has a plugin that
    performs OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on some spams, and another
    plugin that seems to be pretty effective at catching spam images--although
    I have no experience with either, getting this from their mailing list.
    You might investigate. Otherwise, SpamAssassin is a great spam filtering
    tool.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074°N 117.754°W
    gary [] donavan [] org * http://www [] donavan [] org
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 6, 2006