    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Apr 21, 2006

  2. Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes
    > long. I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to
    > post on a web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any
    > other tool I already have? If so, some basic directions would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine exactly
    what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is
    The Old Sourdough, Apr 21, 2006

  3. Steve Freides

    philo Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes long.
    >I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to post on a
    >web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any other tool I
    >already have? If so, some basic directions would be appreciated.

    you can't edit from Media player but there are plenty of utilities that
    allow you to edit...

    since you have XP you might as well start with Windows Movie Maker..
    it should be good enough to allow you to snip out a portion
    philo, Apr 21, 2006
  4. philo wrote:
    > "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes long.
    >> I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long to post on a
    >> web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or any other tool I
    >> already have? If so, some basic directions would be appreciated.
    >>

    > you can't edit from Media player but there are plenty of utilities that
    > allow you to edit...
    >
    > since you have XP you might as well start with Windows Movie Maker..
    > it should be good enough to allow you to snip out a portion

    Try Audacity: more than you need, but it will do it.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

    Geoff
    Geoff Realname, Apr 21, 2006
  5. "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I have an .MP3 file on my Windows XP machine that's several minutes
    >> long. I would like to "extract" a portion that's a few seconds long
    >> post on a web site. Can I do that with just Windows Media Player or
    >> any
    >> other tool I already have? If so, some basic directions would be
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> -S-
    >>

    > My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine
    > exactly
    > what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

    Windows Media Player, and I think I have Roxio Creator in some version -
    it came bundled with the machine but I bought an upgrade along the way.
    I've only used Roxio for CD's. I also have Pinnacle Studio that I've
    used to transfer digital video to my computer.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Steve Freides rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "The Old Sourdough" <> wrote in message

    snip>>
    >> My telepathic abilities are impaired today. I can't sem to divine
    >> exactly
    >> what "other tool(s)" you might have, so please enlighten me....

    > Windows Media Player, and I think I have Roxio Creator in some version -
    > it came bundled with the machine but I bought an upgrade along the way.
    > I've only used Roxio for CD's. I also have Pinnacle Studio that I've
    > used to transfer digital video to my computer.
    >
    > -S-

    OK. I'd agree with Geoff's post. Audacity will do everything you want (and
    more). Get it from his link.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

    (Just in case you don't see his post)

    I don't know if Roxio has any sort of audio editor, Nero has one, but
    Audacity is more versatile, IMO, and it's free.

    The Old Sourdough, Apr 22, 2006
  7. Thank you both.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Apr 22, 2006
  8. Saw a "Sound Editor" as part of what I have from Roxio, got it to do
    what I needed after f%^&ing around with it for a while.

    Thanks again to all who replied.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Apr 22, 2006