    Extend my 802.11g wireless network to both houses and share the lan?

    Or, is there a product to do this that is legal?
    Leo V.

    Leo Violette, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Leo Violette

    David Hettel Guest

    Yes you can do this. In fact there are special routers you can buy to do
    this, that are designed just for this purpose. They are not cheap, but do
    have software design to overcome the problems in this kind of situation.
    This is a better choice than simply running a wire to the second location.
    Do a search on outdoor routers. It's also possible to do this with some
    standard indoor routers, you will not get as good results as with the
    routers design for this purpose, but the total cost is a lot less.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Leo Violette

    Leo Violette Guest

    Thanks. I'll check it out. Are you implying that it may not work with my
    current
    Linksys Wireless router?

    Leo Violette, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Leo Violette

    David Hettel Guest

    Will it work? You really don't tell us enough about your location, and
    conditions or even the router you have. There are some new N routers that
    claim they can go the distance you want out of the box, with out any
    additional antennas. Do you have a clear line of sight year round? Do you
    have heavy rains, or snow? Any trees between the two locations? Is there a
    high level of background radio noise at your location? Moisture in the air
    has the ability to interfere with these kinds of signals at these
    frequencies, it may fail or slow way down in heavy rains or snow and with
    fog. Adding a Parabolic LAN Antenna at the end of a long run of cable, may
    get you very little gain. These type of antennas work best at the end of a
    short piece of cable, and not all cable is the same. It's possible to lose
    more signal than you gain from the Parabolic LAN Antenna in a twenty foot
    cable, if you're thinking of putting it at the end of a 100 feet or more of
    cable I believe it's unlikely to work.

    On the other hand if you put the Linksys in a weather proof box on the roof,
    and you've got a clear line of sight to the second location it may work
    great. There are people doing this. Most of the stories I've read of people
    doing this day in and day out, are people doing it in arid places. Also you
    shouldn't expect to get the full rated speed of your router at these
    distances. Will that mater? Probably not unless you intend to transfer files
    between computers in both locations. Generally most people don't have a
    connection to the internet at anywhere near the speed of their wireless
    network.

    David Hettel, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Hi

    It can be done as long as you have a clear line of sight. I.e. the Antennae
    are installed safely outside or by windows and are looking “Eye” To “Eye”.
    It is legal to do so as long as you use legal equipment. If environment
    allows the distances that you are talking about can be covered with legal
    Entry Level (sub $100) Wireless Routers and or Access Point.

    Under Normal circumstances, Entry Level Wireless was not meant to cover
    distances longer then few hundreds feet outdoor. However, people as a
    special project did mange to bridge distances as long as 5 miles.

    If the Antennae has to be mounted outside on a mast (to over come
    obstructions in the line of sight) they would be away from the Access Point,
    When the Antenna is away from the Transmitter (Access Point) the Length of
    2.4GHz coax cable that has to be used would cause very fast RF
    deterioration. As a result, long coax is not used in such installations.
    The APs are installed with the Antenna on the Antenna’s masts and run CAT5e
    down to your source.

    All of this must be adequately protected from the Weather elements, other
    wise one lighting storm and ““your are back to the Future””.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/tools/wireless_articles_range.htm

    Assuming that you can execute such a project you would need to bridge the
    two sites

    This link has info about Bridging options,
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 21, 2006
  6. Leo Violette

    Leo V. Guest

    Wow. Great Jack. Thanks for the information.

    So, here's what I think I need to do:
    Main house will have a wireless network.
    Guest house, just one PC.

    So, I'm picturing Situation Two as described on this web-site.
    http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

    For the main house, I'd have my standard wireless router (Linksys
    WRT54Gxxx).
    I'd connect the PC's at the main house with standard 802.11 b/g wireless
    cards to my Linksys router.
    I'd connect to the Linksys Router to a Consumer Bridge like Linksys WET11
    (or a directional antenna).

    At the destination, I'd have a Consumer Bridge Wireless card (or directional
    antenna) that would connect to a Switch and the PC would be wired directly
    to the switch.

    Okay, I suspect that there are some pieces missing in my picture. If so,
    would you mind filling in the blanks? For example, I'm a little confused
    about whether the Linksys WET11 would replace or be in addition to a
    directional antenna.

    Again, I'm wanting the PC at the guest house to be availabe (on the same
    LAN) to my PC's at the main house.

    Thank you very much for your time and advice!
    Leo.

    So, I'm picturing

    Leo V., Nov 22, 2006