    Does anyone have any suggestion for extending the range of the MN-700 in a
    way that does not involve the use of physical cables?

    Thanks very much.
    =?Utf-8?B?d29vcm9i?=, Jul 1, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?d29vcm9i?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Entry Level Extenders (or by their real technological name Repeaters) are
    chipset dependent and therefore guaranteed to work with Hardware of the same
    Brand.

    You can try to build your Own Extender. Buy two Access Points (AP) one of
    them has to be able to be configured as Client (Wireless Modes -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html ). Configure the client AP to
    communicate to the MN-700 and then plug the second AP to it and configure it
    as a regular AP.

    Put the concoction in the middle of the way between the MN-700 and the
    destination computer.

    Doing such an arrangement might cost a little more, and be a little

    bulky. On the other hand it would not cut the bandwidth into Half as
    Repeaters do.

    Otherwise may be this can Help.

    Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Wireless Segregation: http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "woorob" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a Microsoft MN-700 Wireless Base Station that works very well.
    > However, it is located in one corner of the first floor of my house, with

    the
    > result that the wireless signal is weak in the far corners of the house,

    both
    > upstairs and in the basement. I cannot change the location of the

    existing
    > MN-700 Wireless Base Station and cannot add Ethernet wiring to the house.
    >
    > I tried a LinkSys Range Extender, but that does not seem compatible with

    the
    > MN-700. In any event, it is not WPA compliant. I also looked at a D-Link
    > "Wireless G Range Extender," but was told that I would need a physical

    cable
    > between the extender and the base station, so that approach does not seem

    as

    Jack, Jul 2, 2005