    another PC, similar to the Firefox feature of exporting bookmarks?

    Thanks in advance
    Kang

    kang, May 27, 2006

  2. kang

    gwtc Guest

    kang wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am using T-bird to read newsgroups. On the right pane is my
    > subscription list, like alt.fan.mozilla, comp.mail.misc...
    >
    > Does anyone know how to export this subscription list for importing to
    > another PC, similar to the Firefox feature of exporting bookmarks?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Kang

    complications can arise doing it that way. Its better just to set up
    the news server and then subscribing to the newsgroup.

    --
    Witty Words of Wisdom: Always read stuff that will make you look good
    if you die in the middle of it

    gwtc, May 27, 2006

  3. In article <44778e59$-cable.com>, kang <> wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I am using T-bird to read newsgroups. On the right pane is my
    >subscription list, like alt.fan.mozilla, comp.mail.misc...
    >
    >Does anyone know how to export this subscription list for importing to
    >another PC, similar to the Firefox feature of exporting bookmarks?

    The "easy" way is to go 'around' T-bird. The subscribed newsgroups are
    kept in a _plain_text_ file, that you can just copy off.

    Start by going to wherever the Thunderbird data for your ID is kept.
    this is probably something like:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Thunderbird"

    In that folder will be a folder named "Profiles"
    In -that- folder will be a folder with a gobbledygook name a mix of
    random letters/digits.
    In *that* folder will be a file named 'News'
    In =that= folder will be a folder named for the 'account' you read news with
    There will will also be a _file_ named for the account, but with a '.rc'
    suffix added.

    *THAT*FILE* is the magic file you want.

    copy it off to a floppy, or whatever, for transfer to the new machine.

    Make sure you have set up the NEWS 'account' in T-bird on the new machine.
    then _exit_ Thunderbird.

    Go through the same file-hunting process on the new machine, to locate the '
    News' folder
    *NOTE*: the 'gobbledygook' directory name will *VERY*PROBABLY* be different
    on the new machine. don't worry about that.

    Now, copy the saved file from the floppy (or wherever) in to the 'News'
    directory, and re-name it to match the news 'account' name, but with the
    '.rc' suffix added.

    *IF* you will be using the same news-server from the new PC, as you were
    on the old one, you're done. Everything you had marked as 'read' on the
    old machine will be marked as already read on the new machine.

    *IF*, on the other hand, you'll be using a *different* news-server, then
    there is some more 'housekeeping' that needs to be done.
    1) open up a MS-DOS prompt (a 'cmd') window.
    2) 'cd' to the 'News' folder.
    3) invoke the 'edit' program on the '{account}.rc' file
    4) observe that every line begins with a newsgroup name, then a colon (":")
    or an exclamation mark ("!"). followed by some number sequences.
    5) for _every_ line, delete everything after the colon or exclamation mark.
    you should have just a list of newsgroup names, each followed by either
    6) save and exit.

    Now, start up T-bird, and observe that all your subscribed groups are there.
    Because this machine is using a different news-server, there's no way to
    tell what articles you may have previously seen on the other server, so
    everything is marked as 'unread'. You may want to do a 'catch up' in every
    newsgroup, to get read of all the old articles.

    Robert Bonomi, Jun 4, 2006