How to expand wireless range

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bill, Jun 12, 2007.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Pre-N Belkin Wireless Router setup in one of my client's office,
    the wireless range is great inside the office building. The problem is they
    would like to access the internet from another building which is only about
    50 - 75 yards away from the Pre-N Router, they do not have any means of
    running Ethernet from one building to another so wireless seem to be the way
    to go for now. They can receive a signal from the other building but it's
    weak and intermittent.

    The Pre-N Router is located in the office in a way that has a clear path to
    the other building.

    Is there any other router/access point out on the market that I can use to
    boost the signal?

    Any help you could give me with this problem will be greatly appreicated.

    Thanks
    William

    Bill, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Bill

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:49:27 -0400, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Pre-N Belkin Wireless Router setup in one of my client's office,
    >the wireless range is great inside the office building. The problem is they
    >would like to access the internet from another building which is only about
    >50 - 75 yards away from the Pre-N Router, they do not have any means of
    >running Ethernet from one building to another so wireless seem to be the way
    >to go for now. They can receive a signal from the other building but it's
    >weak and intermittent.
    >
    >The Pre-N Router is located in the office in a way that has a clear path to
    >the other building.
    >
    >Is there any other router/access point out on the market that I can use to
    >boost the signal?
    >
    >Any help you could give me with this problem will be greatly appreicated.
    >
    >Thanks
    >William

    Bill,

    I'd setup a WiFi bridge from your current LAN to the other building, and
    position both ends of the bridge to maximise the signal. Maybe use directional
    antennas on both ends of the bridge.

    I wouldn't count on using N to go building to building 150' - 200'. N, or MIMO,
    uses special antennas and radios to dynamically focus signal in a specific
    direction. If you're looking at a point to point connection, a bridge, and
    directional antennas, would be a better solution.

    Start with the current router, run Ethernet to the bridge in the current
    building. Then run Ethernet from the other bridge end to a WiFi AP there,
    properly positioned to serve the other building. Then use a different channel
    for the bridge, as for the 2 WiFi LANs.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jun 12, 2007

  3. Hi
    Extending preN might be hard since there is No add-on hardware thus far
    developed for preN.
    These pages describe the variety of methods to extend wireless, you might
    find something useful by reading them.
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging
    Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007
  4. Bill

    Guest

    On 12-Jun-2007, "Bill" <> wrote:

    > Any help you could give me with this problem will be greatly appreicated.

    Try adding reflectors, aluminium kitchen foil works well.
    Numerous forms of reflector can be found on Google with
    a bit of searching.
    I'm using a 7.5 inch thin walled plastic flowerpot, ali foil
    held with elastic bands, and a USB wireless adapter,
    with great success.
    You can use reflectors at both ends of the link if needed.
    Some use larger fine mesh food covers with the USB
    adapter co-axially located using garden hose fittings to
    hold the adapter.
    If you disable zero config and let the adapters software
    manage the adapter, you usually get a superior control
    panel, with both signal strength and signal quality
    readings.
    Static IP addressing seems to greatly improve link
    reliability.
    Reflections can degrade links. Multipath reflections
    cause effects similar to portable analog TV ghosting.
    By using reflectors you boost the signal from the line
    of sight direction, whilst reducing reflected off
    path signals.
    Access points without reflectors radiate in all
    directions, what you need is a focused point
    to point link. So before throwing money at the
    problem I'd try a bit of experimentation.
    Google for Pringle can antenna. Then follow
    a few of the links. BBC's Click on Line recently
    covered large area networks for remote
    isolated communities using tin cans as reflectors.

    , Jun 12, 2007