    call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
    installed on (computer "A")

    TIA

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007

  2. TwistedDreams

    Mitch Guest

    In article <Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.128>,
    TwistedDreams <> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how i
    > set it up.
    > I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to execute
    > the exe from several computers on a LAN.
    > i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    > basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers (lets
    > call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
    > installed on (computer "A")

    It amazes me that you didn't think the OS was a factor.
    It is nearly the only factor that matters for this question.

    Mitch, Nov 17, 2007

  3. TwistedDreams wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how i
    > set it up.
    > I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to execute
    > the exe from several computers on a LAN.
    > i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    > basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers (lets
    > call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it was
    > installed on (computer "A")

    Installing a application involves (most of the times) not just copying the
    exe, but it also needs settings and dll files. So, calling the exe from a
    network share alone, will most probably give errors.
    You need a full-blown application server - the box where you installed the
    program correctly, must in fact export its screen.
    A simple way to do this is remote desktop sharing or vnc. But then, this is
    not multiuser.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 17, 2007
  4. TwistedDreams

    Mike Easter Guest

    TwistedDreams wrote:

    > I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
    > execute the exe from several computers on a LAN.

    If an application is 'portable' it doesn't have to be 'installed' --
    where the terms portable and installed apply specifically to the usage
    of those terms described here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application A portable
    application, or portable app for short, is a software program that does
    not require any kind of formal installation

    > i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    > basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
    > (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
    > was installed on (computer "A")

    Opera is one example of a Win application which has an installable
    version and a portable version.

    The portable version .exe can reside on any of the computers on the LAN
    or a USB thumbdrive or whatever. As long as any of the other computers
    on the LAN can access the drivespace where the .exe resides, they can
    execute the app and use that Opera browser.

    There are a number of portable applications. There are also a number of
    different Operas, the installable for Win, Mac, OS2, various linuxes,
    QNX, Sparc, BeOS, miniOpera for mobile phones, as well as the portable
    Win one.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 17, 2007
  5. TwistedDreams

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Try using the AT command http://www.ss64.com/nt/at.html

    pcbutts1, Nov 17, 2007
  6. Mitch <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns99EB19F291C8twisteddreamscom@66.250.146.128>,
    > TwistedDreams <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember
    >> how i
    >> set it up.
    >> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
    >> execute
    >> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
    >> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    >> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
    >> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
    >> was installed on (computer "A")

    > It amazes me that you didn't think the OS was a factor.
    > It is nearly the only factor that matters for this question.

    Computer "A" is a Win 2k box, the others are a mix of Win 2k and XP.

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007
  7. TwistedDreams <> wrote in

    > Hello
    >
    > I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember how
    > set it up.
    > I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
    > execute
    > the exe from several computers on a LAN.
    > i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    > basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
    > (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
    > was installed on (computer "A")
    >
    > TIA

    Isn't there a way to just create a shortcut to the exe file on Computer
    "A"?

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007
  8. wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote in

    > TwistedDreams wrote:
    >
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I could use some help. I've done this before but i can't remember
    >> how i
    >> set it up.
    >> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
    >> execute
    >> the exe from several computers on a LAN.
    >> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    >> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
    >> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
    >> was installed on (computer "A")
    >>

    > Installing a application involves (most of the times) not just copying
    > the exe, but it also needs settings and dll files. So, calling the exe
    > from a network share alone, will most probably give errors.
    > You need a full-blown application server - the box where you installed
    > the program correctly, must in fact export its screen.
    > A simple way to do this is remote desktop sharing or vnc. But then,
    > this is not multiuser.

    I already use vnc type programs for accessing the desktop. But as you
    already guessed it's for multi users. But i think you may have given me a
    clue. Copying the exe to the other computers. :)

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007
  9. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:13jtgse4e1srb24
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > TwistedDreams wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to install a program on one computer, but be able to
    >> execute the exe from several computers on a LAN.

    > If an application is 'portable' it doesn't have to be 'installed' --
    > where the terms portable and installed apply specifically to the usage
    > of those terms described here
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application A portable
    > application, or portable app for short, is a software program that does
    > not require any kind of formal installation
    >
    >> i.e. Install Opera (web browser) on one computer(let's call it "A",
    >> basically a server) and be able to start up Opera on other computers
    >> (lets call them B, C and D), using the exe file from the computer it
    >> was installed on (computer "A")

    > Opera is one example of a Win application which has an installable
    > version and a portable version.
    >
    > The portable version .exe can reside on any of the computers on the LAN
    > or a USB thumbdrive or whatever. As long as any of the other computers
    > on the LAN can access the drivespace where the .exe resides, they can
    > execute the app and use that Opera browser.
    >
    > There are a number of portable applications. There are also a number

    of
    > different Operas, the installable for Win, Mac, OS2, various linuxes,
    > QNX, Sparc, BeOS, miniOpera for mobile phones, as well as the portable
    > Win one.

    Thanks for the suggestion. The way i had this set up long ago didn't
    involve using portable applications. I might look into what you suggested
    for some of the apps ;)

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007
  10. "pcbutts1" <> wrote in news:fhmtck$h2i$1
    @blackhelicopter.databasix.com:

    > Try using the AT command http://www.ss64.com/nt/at.html

    Hmmm not sure that's exactly what i'm looking for, but thanks for the input

    TwistedDreams, Nov 17, 2007
  11. TwistedDreams

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You can use the AT command to run programs on other computers or use it to
    download files to other computers. Everything is in that link I posted.

    pcbutts1, Nov 17, 2007
  12. TwistedDreams wrote:

    > Isn't there a way to just create a shortcut to the exe file on Computer
    > "A"?

    Well, surely. The Link must just contain \\computera\share\progname.exe
    or you can map a network drive.
    However, most "conventional" programs rely on setups that do not exist on
    the client computer (=where there is only the link to the exe, or even the
    exe copied over). These may be configs (ini files, registry entries ...) or
    dlls in the %systemdir% of the "server" where the application has put them
    upon install.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 17, 2007
  13. TwistedDreams

    nobody > Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Try using the AT command http://www.ss64.com/nt/at.html

    Nice try buttshead, but wrong.

    I see why you toppost. it puts your sig over the top of the post being
    replied to, thereby hiding it from any newsreader that trims sigs.

    Trying to hide your stupidity from Google?

    _ _

    The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com,
    David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty,Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George

    nobody >, Nov 17, 2007
  14. "pcbutts1" <> wrote in

    > You can use the AT command to run programs on other computers or use
    > it to download files to other computers. Everything is in that link I
    > posted.

    thanks, i'll check that link out a little more

    TwistedDreams, Nov 18, 2007
  15. wisdomkiller & pain <> wrote in

    > TwistedDreams wrote:

    >> Isn't there a way to just create a shortcut to the exe file on
    >> Computer "A"?

    > Well, surely. The Link must just contain
    > \\computera\share\progname.exe or you can map a network drive.
    > However, most "conventional" programs rely on setups that do not exist
    > on the client computer (=where there is only the link to the exe, or
    > even the exe copied over). These may be configs (ini files, registry
    > entries ...) or dlls in the %systemdir% of the "server" where the
    > application has put them upon install.

    Thanks, that sounds very familiar.. mapping out the drive. i think you've
    shaken the cobwebs out of my brain :)

    TwistedDreams, Nov 18, 2007