How to enter wireless settings in Win2K

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Clueless in Seattle, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so
    that I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.

    The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I get
    an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged" when
    I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little red
    "X" disappears.

    The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":

    * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public

    * Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption

    * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    hoc)

    * TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)

    I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    of the first three settings has eluded me.

    I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    three.

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Feb 21, 2009

  2. Clueless in Seattle

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:40:49 -0800 (PST), Clueless in Seattle wrote:

    So Win 2000 is 1 clue. SP is? Type of wireless card make model?
    Installed latest driver from manufacturer?

    >I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so
    >that I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.
    >
    >The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I get
    >an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged" when
    >I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little red
    >"X" disappears.
    >
    >The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":
    >
    >* SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public
    >* Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption
    >* Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    >hoc)
    >* TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)
    >
    >I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    >of the first three settings has eluded me.

    On Win 2000 SP4 I remember wireless was a bit more of a pain then XP.
    Anyway if you have the manufacturer drivers / toolkit installed the
    first 3 shouldn't be a problem. It's likely in Start / Programs.

    No WEP that's a joke, all those machines in a public place with
    WEP/encryption turned off :)

    >I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    >three.

    Ditto for info like, service pack, make/model of wireless nic.

    >Will in Seattle
    >a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Me

    why?, Feb 21, 2009

  3. Clueless in Seattle

    Guest

    Clueless in Seattle wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so
    > that I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.
    >
    > The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I get
    > an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged" when
    > I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little red
    > "X" disappears.
    >
    > The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":
    >
    > * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public
    >
    > * Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption
    >
    > * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    > hoc)
    >
    > * TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)
    >
    > I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    > of the first three settings has eluded me.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    > three.
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. "Clueless"

    check the numbers on the card and download and install the software,
    like a card i used was trendnet TEW-44

    , Feb 22, 2009
  4. Clueless in Seattle

    John Holmes Guest

    Clueless in Seattle "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so
    > that I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.
    >
    > The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I get
    > an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged" when
    > I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little red
    > "X" disappears.
    >
    > The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":
    >
    > * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public
    >
    > * Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption
    >
    > * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    > hoc)
    >
    > * TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)
    >
    > I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    > of the first three settings has eluded me.
    >
    > I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    > three.
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. "Clueless"

    You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of
    horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue
    mating dance, you clueless ****.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 22, 2009
  5. Clueless in Seattle

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:33:32 +0100, John Holmes wrote:

    > Clueless in Seattle "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so that
    >> I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.
    >>
    >> The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I get
    >> an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged" when
    >> I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little red
    >> "X" disappears.
    >>
    >> The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":
    >>
    >> * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public
    >>
    >> * Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption
    >>
    >> * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    >> hoc)
    >>
    >> * TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)
    >>
    >> I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    >> of the first three settings has eluded me.
    >>
    >> I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    >> three.
    >>
    >> Will in Seattle
    >> a.k.a. "Clueless"
    >>

    > You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full of
    > horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue
    > mating dance, you clueless ****.

    With apologies, of course, to Edmund Blackadder :)

    Aardvark, Feb 22, 2009
  6. Clueless in Seattle

    John Holmes Guest

    Aardvark "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:33:32 +0100, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Clueless in Seattle "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down laptop with a wireless card so

    that
    >>> I can use the free wi-fi at my local branch library.
    >>>
    >>> The card seems to be working; the green LEDs on it light up, and I

    get
    >>> an icon in the Win2K systray telling me "network cable unplugged"

    when
    >>> I have the laptop at home. But when I'm at the library the little

    red
    >>> "X" disappears.
    >>>
    >>> The library has a brochure suggesting "Wireless Settings":
    >>>
    >>> * SSID (Service Set Identifier) or network name =spl=public
    >>>
    >>> * Encryption or WEP = Disable WEP encryption
    >>>
    >>> * Mode or Network Type = Infrastructure Mode or Access Point (not ad
    >>> hoc)
    >>>
    >>> * TCIP/IP properties = Obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP)
    >>>
    >>> I was able to find where to enter that last setting, but the location
    >>> of the first three settings has eluded me.
    >>>
    >>> I'd be grateful for some help finding the places to enter those first
    >>> three.
    >>>
    >>> Will in Seattle
    >>> a.k.a. "Clueless"
    >>>

    >> You couldn't get a clue during the clue mating season in a field full

    of
    >> horny clues if you smeared your body with clue musk and did the clue
    >> mating dance, you clueless ****.

    > With apologies, of course, to Edmund Blackadder :)

    I'll second that.
    ;-)

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 22, 2009
  7. On Feb 21, 4:41 pm, wrote:

    > check the numbers on the card and download and install the software,
    > like a card i used was trendnet TEW-44

    Thanks squirl!

    I did as you suggested, found the software, entered the settings, and
    here I am at the library typing this message to you courtesy of the
    Seattle Public Library's free Wi-Fi!

    And thanks to all who responded.

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Special thanks to John Holmes: 'You are about as much use to me as a
    hole in the head, an affliction with which you must be familiar, never
    having had a brain.'

    Clueless in Seattle, Feb 24, 2009
  8. Clueless in Seattle

    John Holmes Guest

    Clueless in Seattle "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Feb 21, 4:41 pm, wrote:
    >
    >> check the numbers on the card and download and install the software,
    >> like a card i used was trendnet TEW-44

    > Thanks squirl!
    >
    > I did as you suggested, found the software, entered the settings, and
    > here I am at the library typing this message to you courtesy of the
    > Seattle Public Library's free Wi-Fi!
    >
    > And thanks to all who responded.
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. "Clueless"
    >
    > Special thanks to John Holmes: 'You are about as much use to me as a
    > hole in the head, an affliction with which you must be familiar, never
    > having had a brain.'

    That's a real nice insult. Thanks, I've saved it and will feed it to my
    database of insults!

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 24, 2009
  9. Clueless in Seattle

    Guest

    Clueless in Seattle wrote:
    > On Feb 21, 4:41 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > check the numbers on the card and download and install the software,
    > > like a card i used was trendnet TEW-44

    > Thanks squirl!
    >
    > I did as you suggested, found the software, entered the settings, and
    > here I am at the library typing this message to you courtesy of the
    > Seattle Public Library's free Wi-Fi!

    Cool, nice when wireless gets set up with a minimal of fussing

    , Feb 24, 2009