    write to disk when it gets a chance. I've tried enabling all the performance
    options but no dice. Does this just not work in XP64? Intentionally
    crippled by Microsoft?

    =?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?=, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Write back caches are a very bad idea in an environment that doesn't have a
    UPS. Most workstations don't have UPSs. Hence the lack of enablement in XP
    x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2007

  3. I'm unclear on your response. Are you simply saying that its a bad idea, or
    are you saying authoritatively that it cannot be enabled? All of the UI is
    there to enable it, it just doesn't seem to work. I can understand making it
    HARD to enable, but making it impossible seems more like a marketing decision
    (can't make as much money if people use workstation for data processing
    instead of server).

    Thanks
    john

    =?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?=, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Both. ;)

    Seriously, I have never tried to enable it, but I'm not suprised if it is
    somehow being blocked. I don't explicitly know that it is, I just wouldn't
    be surprised.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 23, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    The specifics of even a poor answer to your query are beyond by
    knowledge and experience. However, I note the following article might be
    of some scant use to you.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Mar 23, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?amxpbGxleQ==?=

    Graham Guest

    jlilley wrote:
    > I'm using XP64 Workstation with 4GB memory installed, and I'm disappointed
    > that its write performance is so poor with large writes. I'm used to testing
    > on Windows Server 2003, where it will happily cache GBs of dirty data and
    > write to disk when it gets a chance. I've tried enabling all the performance
    > options but no dice. Does this just not work in XP64? Intentionally
    > crippled by Microsoft?

    Can one assume you have checked the policy in device manager for each
    drive you want it enabled on?

    Graham.

    Graham, Mar 23, 2007