    I disable administrator account on win 2000, I need to enable it to create
    additional account. How do I enable it.
    Thanks for any input.

    NBN, Nov 13, 2004

  2. NBN

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "NBN" <> wrote in message
    news:bivld.65659$...
    |I disable administrator account on win 2000, I need to enable it to create
    | additional account. How do I enable it.
    | Thanks for any input.

    First of all, you *can't* disable the administrator account in Windows 2000.
    So, what exactly have you done? This?

    <quote>
    How to Deny Access to the Local Administrator on Windows 2000

    In Windows 2000, you cannot disable built-in accounts. However, you can deny
    access to the local Administrator account by modifying the local security
    settings.

    NOTE: Before you follow these steps, make sure that there is at least one
    other local or network user who can gain access to the computer with
    administrator permissions. 1.Log on as Administrator, or as a user with
    administrator permissions.
    2.Clicking Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Local Security Policy.
    3.In the left pane, expand the Local Policies node, and then click User
    Rights Assignment.
    4.In the right pane, double-click Deny access to this computer from the
    network.
    5.In Local Security Policy Setting, click Add.
    6.In the Users and Groups box, click the Administrator account, and then
    click Add.
    7.Click OK, click OK, and then quit the Local Security Settings console. You
    must restart your computer for the new security setting to take effect.

    </quote>

    If that's what you've done, you should be able to fix it the same way - step
    5 may be "edit" instead of add (don't remember, and I don't have W2K here at
    home), and when you get to the step 6, you need to the Administrator account
    from the Users and Groups box.

    Like I said - I don't have access to a W2K OS here today, so I may be off a
    little on step 5/6, but you can probably figure it out from there.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2004

  3. NBN

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:47:43 -0500, NBN wrote:

    >I disable administrator account on win 2000, I need to enable it to create
    >additional account. How do I enable it.
    >Thanks for any input.

    I didn't think you could disable local accounts?

    Use another account with Administrator rights, to reset any changes you
    made. Usually the backup safety account that should always be created on
    any NT based OS.

    Oddly enough, a quick Google turned up this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q281140&sd=tech

    IMPORTANT: Before you disable the local Administrator account, make sure
    that another user (on the domain or a local user) is a member of the
    local Administrators group.

    You may have to so some trickery via the recovery console prompt. Use
    www.google.com and read a lot.

    There are also many microsoft newsgroups and MVP sites to try.

    Also check 24HSHD, similar question asked early Oct IIRC.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Me

    why?, Nov 13, 2004