    got a message back saying mailbox full 5.2.2 from Damon. i am new to
    computers so i need it explaining in proper english
    john marshall
    John Marshall, Nov 10, 2004

  2. John Marshall wrote:

    > can u tell me how i empty my mailbox, some one sent me an e-mail and they
    > got a message back saying mailbox full 5.2.2 from Damon. i am new to
    > computers so i need it explaining in proper english
    > john marshall

    Log in to http://mail2web.com with your user name and password and
    delete email from there. Or you can call your ISP and request that they
    do it for you. It sounds as though you need to set your email program so
    that it doesn't leave a copy of your email on the server, that way it
    won't fill up.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 10, 2004

  3. John Marshall

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Marshall" <> wrote in message
    | can u tell me how i empty my mailbox, some one sent me an e-mail and they
    | got a message back saying mailbox full 5.2.2 from Damon. i am new to
    | computers so i need it explaining in proper english
    | john marshall

    Since you are accessing this newsgroup through Outlook Express 5.5, I would
    first suggest you upgrade to the latest versions of OE and Internet
    Explorer.

    Then my first guess about your full mailbox is that your account settings in
    your email reader are set to leave messages on the server. If you are using
    OE for your email, then click on Tools, Accounts, Mail, select the
    virgin.net email account, then click on properties. Click on Advanced, then
    at the bottom are the options to leave messages on the server. Turn that
    off.

    Hope that helps!
    Toolman Tim, Nov 10, 2004
  4. John Marshall

    Joel Rubin Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:44:40 GMT, "John Marshall"
    <> wrote:

    >can u tell me how i empty my mailbox, some one sent me an e-mail and they
    >got a message back saying mailbox full 5.2.2 from Damon. i am new to
    >computers so i need it explaining in proper english
    >john marshall

    Why not just use your ISP's webmail interface? Typically you get a
    list of senders and subjects and you can check messages and delete
    them without downloading the whole thing.

    The Pegasus (free) email program has a selective email reading program
    where you download just the headers and then you can mark each email
    for deletion, retrieval or both and "make it so".

    You could manually connect to your POP3 server and delete the
    offending email(s).

    You telnet to port 110 of the incoming mail server.

    Make sure that what you type is being echoed locally. XP's DOS box
    telnet program does this automatically when you do this but Win98's
    telnet program doesn't. Otherwise, you won't see what you're typing.
    Be careful what you type- backspace doesn't work as a correction.

    user yourlogin
    pass yourpassword

    to see the headers and the first 9 lines of message #24:

    top 24 9

    to delete the 18th message:

    dele 18

    to see all of the 4th message:

    retr 4

    to get a list of all the messages and sizes:

    list

    to quit

    quit

    You must quit with "quit" and not just disconnect otherwise your
    dele's won't take effect.
    Joel Rubin, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Joel Rubin wrote:

    > On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:44:40 GMT, "John Marshall"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>can u tell me how i empty my mailbox, some one sent me an e-mail and they
    >>got a message back saying mailbox full 5.2.2 from Damon. i am new to
    >>computers so i need it explaining in proper english
    >>john marshall
    >>

    > Why not just use your ISP's webmail interface? Typically you get a
    > list of senders and subjects and you can check messages and delete
    > them without downloading the whole thing.
    >
    > The Pegasus (free) email program has a selective email reading program
    > where you download just the headers and then you can mark each email
    > for deletion, retrieval or both and "make it so".
    >
    > You could manually connect to your POP3 server and delete the
    > offending email(s).
    >
    > You telnet to port 110 of the incoming mail server.
    >
    > Make sure that what you type is being echoed locally. XP's DOS box
    > telnet program does this automatically when you do this but Win98's
    > telnet program doesn't. Otherwise, you won't see what you're typing.
    > Be careful what you type- backspace doesn't work as a correction.
    >
    > user yourlogin
    > pass yourpassword
    >
    > to see the headers and the first 9 lines of message #24:
    >
    > top 24 9
    >
    > to delete the 18th message:
    >
    > dele 18
    >
    > to see all of the 4th message:
    >
    > retr 4
    >
    > to get a list of all the messages and sizes:
    >
    > list
    >
    > to quit
    >
    > quit
    >
    > You must quit with "quit" and not just disconnect otherwise your
    > dele's won't take effect.

    Good explanation, but after he said "I'm new to computers" I'm sure
    there was a grand whooshing sound made.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 10, 2004