    I am using Outlook 2002. Do I need to set up email account every time I go
    to different wireless access area?

    Thank you.
    ayoung, Aug 11, 2004

  2. ayoung

    Dave Guest

    the easiest would be if your isp or office provides a webmail interface like
    owa or some other method to use a web site to read and send mail. another
    good way is to have a vpn connection back into your company or home network,
    then you can use it as if you were in the office or home. after that you
    will have to see if your isp allows you to send mail through their smtp even
    though you aren't on their network, some will others will block it assuming
    it is someone trying to relay.

    "ayoung" <> wrote in message
    > I am planning to buy the IBM X30 Thinkpad with wireless (WiFi?).
    >
    > Can you tell me how does wireless network at public places (ie in Silicon
    > Valley areas, such as cafes) works? How do I set to send and receive

    email?

    Dave, Aug 11, 2004

  3. ayoung

    ayoung Guest

    We have pop3 email using Outlook 2002.

    How to find out if I can connect vpn to company web site host?

    ayoung, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Ideally, you would like to have your e-mail, username and password encrypted
    during send and receive. Ask your company's IT department whether they
    support SSL for e-mail. Usually, this is accompanied by the use of
    different ports (the defaults are 995 for pop3 and 465 for SMTP). In
    general, obtaining your e-mail over wireless is not much worse than
    obtaining it over the open internet given than anyone between you and the
    server can read it. However, both are pretty bad to begin with and you
    really want to have a secure connection to the office. Again, ask your IT
    department for help.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 11, 2004
  5. ayoung

    ayoung Guest

    I do not need to secure email over the wireless network at Starbuck.
    I just want to be able to send and receive messages.
    How do I use Outlook or any other POP3 service?
    I do not know how to set the email account without knowing the wireless
    server.
    ayoung, Aug 12, 2004
  6. In Outlook, select Tools->E-mail Accounts...->Add a new e-mail account

    The mail servers you need to use will be the same at Starbucks as from
    anywhere else. However, if you have your e-mail set up to use your ISP's
    SMTP server (some ISPs filter that port so that you cannot use your usual
    SMTP server), you will have to change that to the one your company uses.

    However, it is really not a good idea to read your e-mail over an insecure
    connection (i.e. over the internet without encryption between your computer
    and the mail server) since your password and anything else will be out there
    for anyone to see. If you logon to your company's computers using the same
    password you use for e-mail then bad things can happen...

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 12, 2004
  7. ayoung

    ayoung Guest

    But that is the whole point of public wireless internet access, such as
    stuck at airport for a few hours? So that I can pick up my office email and
    reply if urgently needed.

    ayoung, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Well, there is a right way and a wrong way to do office e-mail when outside
    the office. The right way involves ensuring that no e-mail and no passwords
    are sent in a way that can be read by others. This is done using encryption
    all the way from your computer to the office and usually does not require
    any special changes when moving from one public access point to another.

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 13, 2004
  9. ayoung

    Dave Guest

    thats right. but the key is to do it safely. so either use a webmail
    access that uses https, or use a vpn to get into your company network and
    read with normal tools from there. but make sure you know how to do it
    properly or anyone sitting in the terminal could snoop your mail and
    anything else you do.

    Dave, Aug 13, 2004
  10. ayoung

    ayoung Guest

    Can you tell me where to learn more about this vpn email systems?
    May be we should set up for all our sales staff to use this in their
    laptops?
    Thank you very much.

    ayoung, Aug 13, 2004
  11. If it's just for e-mail, a VPN may be a bit much. VPNs allow remote users
    to connect to office LANs using an encrypted connection. Once they are
    connected, everything is supposed to work as if their computer is located
    inside the office.

    The easiest way to secure the out-of-office e-mail is to use a mail server
    that supports SSL. That would encrypt everything sent between users and the
    server and is supported by the major e-mail programs.

    We've got numerous ways to access our e-mail securely when away.
    One way is to use Kerberos-based authentication and encryption. That works
    reasonably well but is not supported properly by Outlook (Eudora works) and
    thus needs a bit of additional software (not to mention quite a bit of
    server infrastructure). There's also a slight problem when using Kerberos
    from behind a router, which most people use at home.
    The most common way is to connect to the SMTP/POP3/IMAP servers using SSL.
    That's relatively straightforward but is limited to e-mail in that you have
    to authenticate separately to each server (not an issue once Outlook is
    configured). Most ISPs block the usual SMTP port (except to their own SMTP
    server) but this is not the case for the default SSL SMTP port (and you can
    move it).
    Another option is to use VPN software, which makes it appear as if the
    computer is located somewhere on the LAN. However, anything sent over the
    LAN is no longer encrypted (that is probably not a major issue). There are
    some routers available that will serve as a VPN endpoint (e.g.
    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wrv54g_ug.pdf).

    -Yves

    Yves Konigshofer, Aug 14, 2004