    am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

    Fred M, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Fred M

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Fred M" <> wrote in news::

    > When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
    > the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
    > Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    > and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    > My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

    You can supplement with the free edition of Pop-up Stopper. You can also
    increase the level of the pop-up ad stopper on XP SP2 IE *Stop all Pop-up
    (s)*. But that level seems to stop more than pop-up ad(s).

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Fred M

    Old Gringo Guest

    Fred M wrote:
    > When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in the
    > services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In Netscape 7.2 I
    > am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    > and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    > My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

    Friday, October 15, 2004, 22:51:06 CDT USA
    I don't know if this works with XP or not:
    http://toolbar.yahoo.com/

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Fred M

    mAineAc Guest

    Fred M wrote:
    > When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in the
    > services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In Netscape 7.2 I
    > am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    > and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    > My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred

    http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
    worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
    you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
    won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
    program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
    is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
    in the long run.

    mAineAc

    mAineAc, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Fred M

    Dodo Guest

    Sounds like a malicious BHO. Go to the IE Tools Menu and Manage Add-ons to
    disable the BHO. It may not be as simple as that, though. Other processes
    running on your computer may provide redundancy for the BHO. This would be
    indicated by a BHO the re-enables itself, in which case the following may be
    useful.

    Malicious software is a program or "process" that runs on your computer.
    Malicious software is removed in two steps: Terminate the processes and
    prevent the processes from restarting. The following information will not
    discover and correct all malicious software issues. Before beginning, close
    all browser windows and do not launch your web browser until HijackThis has
    successfully removed all suspicious BHOs and toolbars. Additional support
    concerning any of the procedures in this document is available at
    alt.privacy.spyware via an ISP news server or http://groups.google.com/ and
    http://forums.net-integration.net/.

    Tools

    Safe Mode: Pressing F8 repeatedly during system startup should present a
    menu with an option to start the computer in safe mode.

    Task Manager (Windows 9x/ME): Useful for terminating processes. Press
    ctrl-alt-del to view the Task Manager.
    Task Manager (Windows 2000/XP): Useful for terminating processes.
    Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager from the context menu to
    view the Task Manager.

    Services Panel (Windows 2000/XP only): Useful for terminating processes. The
    Services Panel is available in the Administrative Tools of the Windows
    Control Panel.

    Msconfig (Windows 9x/ME/XP only): Select Run from the Start Menu and type
    msconfig and click OK to view the System Configuration Utility. The Hide All
    Microsoft Services option in the Windows XP System Configuration Utility is
    useful for discovering malicious services.

    HijackThis: Useful for discovering and correcting the mechanisms by which
    malicious processes are started or a browser is directed to unwanted or
    malicious content. Available for free download from
    http://209.133.47.12/~merijn/downloads.html and many other internet sources.

    1) Terminating malicious processes:

    Starting your computer in safe mode may prevent malicious processes from
    starting, allowing you to skip to step two.

    Malicious processes are easily terminated on a Windows 9x/ME machine.
    Malicious processes are more difficult to terminate on a Windows 2000/XP
    machine because malicious software typically utilizes multiple processes
    which provide redundancy for one another.

    Windows 9x/ME: Any process in the task manager is suspect, except for
    explorer. Terminate suspect processes.

    Windows 2000: Any process in the task manager running under a local user
    account is suspect, except for explorer.exe. Do not terminate processes
    running under a system account, such as System, Local Service, Network
    Service or Iwam_[machine name]. Terminate suspect processes. Any process in
    the Services Panel is suspect. Malicious services are more likely to not
    have a decription. Terminate suspect services. Due to the redundancy
    typically provided by malicious software, malicious processes may need to be
    terminated several times before all malicious processes are sucessfully
    terminated. It is helpful to open the Services Panel and the Task Manager
    side-by-side for this purpose. It may be necessary to refresh the Services
    Panel often to view the current status of a service. To terminate a service,
    it may be necessary to disable the service for a hardware profile or
    configure the service to log on with a non-existent account.

    Windows XP: Any process in the task manager running under a local user
    account is suspect, except for explorer.exe. Do not terminate processes
    running under a system account, such as System, Local Service, Network
    Service or Iwam_[machine name]. Terminate suspect processes. Any
    non-Microsoft service as indicated by Msconfig is suspect. Use the Services
    Panel to terminate suspect services. Due to the redundancy typically
    provided by malicious software, malicious processes may need to be
    terminated several times before all malicious processes are sucessfully
    terminated. It is helpful to open the Services Panel and the Task Manager
    side-by-side for this purpose. It may be necessary to refresh the Services
    Panel often to view the current status of a service. To terminate a service,
    it may be necessary to disable the service for a hardware profile or
    configure the service to log on with a non-existent account.

    2) Prevent the processes from restarting:

    Processes are started in two ways: During system startup and during browser
    startup. Even after malicious processes are terminated, your browser may be
    directed to content which may reinfect your computer.

    Run HijackThis and fix suspect items.

    The different sections of hijacking possibilities have been separated into
    these groups:
    R - Registry, StartPage/SearchPage changes
    R0 - Changed registry value
    R1 - Created registry value
    R2 - Created registry key
    R3 - Created extra registry value where only one should be
    F - IniFiles, autoloading entries
    F0 - Changed inifile value
    F1 - Created inifile value
    F2 - Changed inifile value, mapped to Registry
    F3 - Created inifile value, mapped to Registry
    N - Netscape/Mozilla StartPage/SearchPage changes
    N1 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 4.x
    N2 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 6
    N3 - Change in prefs.js of Netscape 7
    N4 - Change in prefs.js of Mozilla
    O - Other, several sections which represent:
    O1 - Hijack of auto.search.msn.com with Hosts file
    O2 - Enumeration of existing MSIE BHO's
    O3 - Enumeration of existing MSIE toolbars
    O4 - Enumeration of suspicious autoloading Registry entries
    O5 - Blocking of loading Internet Options in Control Panel
    O6 - Disabling of 'Internet Options' Main tab with Policies
    O7 - Disabling of Regedit with Policies
    O8 - Extra MSIE context menu items
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitems and buttons
    O10 - Breaking of Internet access by New.Net or WebHancer
    O11 - Extra options in MSIE 'Advanced' settings tab
    O12 - MSIE plugins for file extensions or MIME types
    O13 - Hijack of default URL prefixes
    O14 - Changing of IERESET.INF
    O15 - Trusted Zone Autoadd
    O16 - Download Program Files item
    O17 - Domain hijack
    O18 - Enumeration of existing protocols and filters
    O19 - User stylesheet hijack
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs autorun Registry value
    O21 - ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad (SSODL) autorun Registry key
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler autorun Registry key

    Mechanisms providing process startup: O2, O3, O4 and possibly others. Most
    other mechanisms are geared toward directing your browser to unwanted or
    malicious content.

    Install all updates available at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/.

    Dodo, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Fred M

    Dodo Guest

    Try disabling Third-Party Browser Extensions in Advanced Internet Options.

    If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve,
    you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are
    causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart
    Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.

    Dodo, Oct 16, 2004
  7. mAineAc wrote:
    > Fred M wrote:
    >
    >> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
    >> the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
    >> Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    >> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    >> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred
    >>

    > http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
    > worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
    > you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
    > won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
    > program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
    > is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
    > in the long run.
    >
    > mAineAc

    I whole heartedly agree...Firefox, and its extensions, is the greatest
    thing in the world...try their email and newsgroup program Thunderbird too.
    gideon

    Gideon Stargrave, Oct 16, 2004
  8. mAineAc wrote:
    > Fred M wrote:
    >
    >> When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
    >> the services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
    >> Netscape 7.2 I am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    >> and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    >> My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred
    >>

    > http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have to
    > worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
    > you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX components
    > won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
    > program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to IE
    > is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
    > in the long run.
    >
    > mAineAc

    I whole heartedly agree...Firefox, and its extensions, is the greatest
    thing in the world...try their email and newsgroup program Thunderbird
    too. btw the address is actually...

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    gideon

    Gideon Stargrave, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Fred M

    DC Guest

    DC, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Fred M

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#3

    Plato, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Fred M

    WormWood Guest

    "mAineAc" <> wrote in message
    | Fred M wrote:
    | > When I open IE rightaway I get a popup. I disabled the Messenger in
    the
    | > services I installed the Servicepack2 but it doesn't help. In
    Netscape 7.2 I
    | > am not getting them, but I am used to Internet Explorer
    | > and prefer it. Any suggestions how to solve this nuisance?
    | > My OS is Wind. XP PRO. Thanks Fred
    | >

    | http://mozill.org Install a program called firefox and you won't have
    | worry about pop ups anymore. You can also add features that will allow
    | you to block banners on webistes. Also a plus is that activeX
    components
    | won't run so things won't get installed on your computer like the
    | program that is generating the pop ups you are seeing. Being used to
    IE
    | is not a reason to use something so insecure. You will be much happier
    | in the long run.
    |
    | mAineAc

    I agree.

    WormWood, Oct 17, 2004