How to elevate hamster house 4 feet?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Mar 22, 2007.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    the two meet.

    Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    the light from the window.

    I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    out of wood?

    thanks!

    Brian, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Brian

    Dave Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    > approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle
    > where the two meet.
    >
    > Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    > stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    > keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    > open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not
    > block the light from the window.
    >
    > I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    > might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for
    > what I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top
    > shelf would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own
    > stand out of wood?
    >
    > thanks!

    stack it on some old empty computer server cases that stand about 4' tall.

    Dave, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Brian

    Robb Guest

    Brian wrote:

    >Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    You need two things. A nailgun. Some string.

    Hang your little rat from the ceiling at whatever level you like, later on
    you can use it's little rat tank as a little rat coffin.

    --
    Robb | "don't like rat-sters"

    Robb, Mar 22, 2007
  4. Brian

    Fred37 Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:59 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    >I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    >middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    >screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    >the two meet.
    >
    >Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    >stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    >keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    >open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    >the light from the window.
    >
    >I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    >might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    >I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    >would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    >out of wood?
    >
    >thanks!

    Brian,
    You could use a strong, wall mounted shelf bracket and a single shelf.
    There are several varieties available. Make sure the brackets are
    firmly anchored to the wall.
    Fred

    Fred37, Mar 22, 2007
  5. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-22, Brian <> wrote:
    > Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    > approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    > the two meet.

    I wouldn't have thought your hamster would like being so high off the
    ground and exposed to full sunlight and the heat/cold variations. It will
    also be very awkward to care for any living thing in a container at that
    height.

    > Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    > stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    > keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    > open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    > the light from the window.
    >
    > I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    > might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    > I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    > would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    > out of wood?
    >
    > thanks!

    Industrial racking or things used for shop-fitting might do what you want;
    but I still don't think it's a good idea for either you or your hamster.
    <http://www.hamsterhideout.com/housing.html>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 22, 2007
  6. Brian

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    > approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    > the two meet.
    >
    > Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    > stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    > keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    > open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    > the light from the window.
    >
    > I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    > might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    > I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    > would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    > out of wood?
    >
    > thanks!

    Whatever you do don't forget to install Air con to keep the little chap
    cool from all that direct sunlight.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 22, 2007
  7. Brian

    GeorgeD Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    > approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    > the two meet.
    >
    > Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    > stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    > keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    > open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    > the light from the window.
    >
    > I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    > might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    > I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    > would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    > out of wood?
    >
    > thanks!

    There are skeleton aquarium stands which might suit your purpose. I
    have never seen one 4' tall; most are 3' or less.

    Goggle aquarium stand for examples.

    Regards,

    GeorgeD, Mar 22, 2007
  8. Brian

    Mike Easter Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the
    > middle where the two meet.

    Have you checked with the hamster about this idea? I think the hamster
    is going to find that too bright and too hot and too 'arid'.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 22, 2007
  9. Brian

    olfart Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >> I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    >> middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    >> screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the
    >> middle where the two meet.

    > Have you checked with the hamster about this idea? I think the hamster
    > is going to find that too bright and too hot and too 'arid'.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    If it gets too hot.then you can Google for....
    Hamster Recipes

    olfart, Mar 22, 2007
  10. Brian wrote:
    > Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    > approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >
    > I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    > middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    > screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    > the two meet.
    >
    > Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    > stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    > keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    > open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    > the light from the window.
    >
    > I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    > might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    > I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    > would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    > out of wood?

    Look around at some kitchen-stuff stores/sites. They sell various
    small free-standing utility tables for I dunno -- your toaster oven or
    your butcher block chopping board or something. Also, if you're near an
    Ikea, check them out for such a thing (not necessarily for the kitchen).

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 22, 2007
  11. Brian

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:59 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    Cowbells!

    Err no.. I meant phonebooks.

    Evan Platt, Mar 22, 2007
  12. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-22, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >> Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >> approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.
    >>
    >> I have a window that goes from ceiling to carpet, and is split in the
    >> middle, creating a lower and upper which each have sliding doors and
    >> screens. I want to put the hamster at roughly the height of the middle where
    >> the two meet.
    >>
    >> Problem is I do not want a solid unit there, like a standard book case or
    >> stand. I'd like to keep it as light and small as possible, similar to a
    >> keyboard stand or ironing board. I'd like to keep the area below the tank
    >> open to maintain a more spacious appearance (in comparison) and to not block
    >> the light from the window.
    >>
    >> I've looked around but couldn't find much. Anyone have any tips where I
    >> might look, or what I might google for? Maybe theres an actual term for what
    >> I want that I just don't know. Something with four lets and a top shelf
    >> would suffice and be ideal. Am I likely going to have to make my own stand
    >> out of wood?

    > Look around at some kitchen-stuff stores/sites. They sell various
    > small free-standing utility tables for I dunno -- your toaster oven or
    > your butcher block chopping board or something. Also, if you're near an
    > Ikea, check them out for such a thing (not necessarily for the kitchen).

    Industrial-strength magnets could levitate the poor furry victim's
    residence.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 22, 2007
  13. Brian

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:59 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Brian"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    Hamster feet or people feet?

    Frosty, Mar 23, 2007
  14. Brian

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:59:04 -0800 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Evan
    Platt <>, intended to write
    something intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:59 -1000, "Brian" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >>approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    >Cowbells!
    >
    >Err no.. I meant phonebooks.

    Classic!

    Frosty, Mar 23, 2007
  15. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-23, Frosty <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:08:59 -1000 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Brian"
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    > instead wrote :
    >
    >>Here's the situation: I want to elevate a 10 gallon tank with a hamster
    >>approx. 4 feet in the air on a shelf of some type.

    > Hamster feet or people feet?

    Pity the poor hamster confined within a cell of ten hamster gallons.

    --
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 23, 2007
  16. Brian