    I have a Casio Exilim EX-S100 if that helps.
    Thanks.

    , Mar 15, 2005

  2. Scott W Guest

    Some cameras can do this others can't. My Nikon 995 would crash if I
    put images on the card, my Sony F828 will show just about anything. I
    am not sure what all the camera looks at when it is deciding what it
    can and can not show but I know for the 995 if did any edits to the
    photo it would not show.

    If you do find out how to do it let us know.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 15 Mar 2005 15:12:37 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >I want to be able to edit a photo that is on my camera and be able to
    >save it back to the memory card and have the camera be able to display
    >it. I tried copying the file to my computer, editing it, saving it in
    >Photoshop as a JPG and putting it back on my camera but my camera says
    >it can't display the file. I know the file has to be in the exact
    >format that the original was but how can I find out what that is? How
    >can I store it correctly in Photoshop so my camera can display the
    >image?
    >I have a Casio Exilim EX-S100 if that helps.
    >Thanks.

    See David Taylor's TVwriter util
    Not sure if it supports Casios, but does Nikons for the other poster.
    http://www.david-taylor.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/software/imaging.html
    Give the free demo a try.

    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Sheldon Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I want to be able to edit a photo that is on my camera and be able to
    > save it back to the memory card and have the camera be able to display
    > it. I tried copying the file to my computer, editing it, saving it in
    > Photoshop as a JPG and putting it back on my camera but my camera says
    > it can't display the file. I know the file has to be in the exact
    > format that the original was but how can I find out what that is? How
    > can I store it correctly in Photoshop so my camera can display the
    > image?
    > I have a Casio Exilim EX-S100 if that helps.
    > Thanks.

    I think the camera writes a file to the card with the images on it. When
    you simply copy an image to the card using other software it's there, but
    the camera doesn't recognize it unless it was originally produced by the
    camera -- I think that's the problem.

    Sheldon, Mar 16, 2005
  5. >> tried copying the file to my computer, editing it, saving it in
    >>Photoshop as a JPG and putting it back on my camera but my camera says
    >>it can't display the file.

    Your camera contains a computer program, called firmware, which it uses to
    compress images to jpeg and uncompress them. To keep cameras small and
    cheap, they don't contain a lot of memory so the writers of the firmware
    have to keep their code small. To do this, they sometimes have to cut
    corners.

    The jpg file specification has all sorts of optional bits, and allows you to
    lay out the jpg file in a variety of ways. Well written computer software
    will cater for all eventualities but camera firmware may not be able to do
    so because of the aforementioned lack of space.

    As a result, the camera's firmware code is frequently written so that it
    only understands the "flavour" of jpg layout which it, the camera, can
    produce.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Mar 16, 2005