    on a photo. The following examples happen not infrequently for me. Obviously
    doing the exposure correctly is the easiest method. ;-(
    EG.
    #1 A picture that has been taken through a tinted window or glass. Colour
    cast dependent on glass colour.
    #2 Camera set to incandescent light and then used with that setting during
    daylight. Extremely blue cast.
    #3 Neg film that has been scanned onto disk and the result produces a Red
    tint on all the images.

    The software I have available is CorelDraw 7 and Paint.Net

    TIA Peter.
    Peter Stacey, Apr 9, 2007

  2. Hi Peter,

    There are a few ways to do this. I'm a photoshop user, but I'm
    guessing your software has similar functionality. The easiest one to
    try is this:
    Copy your image to a new image.
    On the copy, blur the image using an average (this should turn the
    entire image one color).
    Then level your original image using the averaged color as the grey
    point.
    Alternatively, you try this:
    Make a duplicate layer.
    Blur/average your duplicate layer, and then invert that layer (invert
    all colors in the layer).
    Then change the blend mode of that layer to color mode (or something
    similar) and tweak the opacity as needed.

    I hope that helps some!
    -Jim

    AnotherAmateur, Apr 9, 2007

  3. Peter Stacey

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Peter Stacey wrote:

    > I want to know what is the best or easiest (software) method to do a colour
    > correction
    > on a photo. The following examples happen not infrequently for me. Obviously
    > doing the exposure correctly is the easiest method. ;-(
    > EG.
    > #1 A picture that has been taken through a tinted window or glass. Colour
    > cast dependent on glass colour.
    > #2 Camera set to incandescent light and then used with that setting during
    > daylight. Extremely blue cast.
    > #3 Neg film that has been scanned onto disk and the result produces a Red
    > tint on all the images.
    >
    > The software I have available is CorelDraw 7 and Paint.Net

    I've never used CorelDraw or Paint.Net.

    Photoshop Elements has a color cast correction feature. When you
    select it, you get an eye dropper tool that you use to sample a
    white or gray point in the photo. It will use that point as white
    and will correct the cast.

    You sometimes have to sample a few areas before you get it right.

    I have some shots I took through a heavily tinted green window and
    the color cast corrector did a very good job of removing the green
    and rendering natural looking colours.
    Jim Townsend, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Peter Stacey

    Jack Wagner Guest

    On Apr 8, 8:49 pm, "Peter Stacey" <> wrote:
    > I want to know what is the best or easiest (software) method to do a colour
    > correction
    > on a photo. The following examples happen not infrequently for me. Obviously
    > doing the exposure correctly is the easiest method. ;-(
    > EG.
    > #1 A picture that has been taken through a tinted window or glass. Colour
    > cast dependent on glass colour.
    > #2 Camera set to incandescent light and then used with that setting during
    > daylight. Extremely blue cast.
    > #3 Neg film that has been scanned onto disk and the result produces a Red
    > tint on all the images.
    >
    > The software I have available is CorelDraw 7 and Paint.Net
    >
    > TIA Peter.

    A free option for you would be to download and install the GIMP. It's
    a Photoshop "clone" that is really quite powerful. You can then search
    the web for tutorials on "GIMP color correction" and you will find
    many ways to go about it.
    Jack Wagner, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Peter Stacey

    Alan Meyer Guest

    On Apr 9, 2:16 pm, Jim Townsend <> wrote:
    > Peter Stacey wrote:

    > Photoshop Elements has a color cast correction feature. When you
    > select it, you get an eye dropper tool that you use to sample a
    > white or gray point in the photo. It will use that point as white
    > and will correct the cast.

    The GIMP, excellent free software mentioned by Jack W. below, also
    has this feature. I have found that it doesn't always work, but
    it often does and it's very easy to use.

    Your Corel and paint.net software may have an equivalent.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Try Google's Picassa. It has colour temperature control and an eyedropper to
    set neutral whites/greys in the pic.

    Steve Carpenter, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Peter Stacey

    Peter Stacey Guest

    Thanks for all the advice so far.
    I did try GIMP briefly but found the apparent leaning curve too great and
    gave up. Hence trying Paint.net
    Peter Stacey.

    Peter Stacey, Apr 10, 2007