    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software
    http://www.birkbinnard.com

    Birk Binnard, Oct 25, 2003

  2. First ink jet prints only contain excess moisture for a short time.
    They dry.

    I don't suggest using a standard heat type dry mount press until you
    test prints made with your machine and ink. Some inks don't react well with
    heat.

    If you are going to use a spray glue, get the stuff made for photos.
    Better yet, get the peel and stick backing. That way you know the glue is
    on a nice even coat.

    Be ready to practice a few times. You don't get a second chance, so you
    may loose a print or two form time to time.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "Birk Binnard" <> wrote in message
    > I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
    > developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson

    1280.
    > The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
    >
    > I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain

    too
    > much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them

    on

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Birk Binnard

    Trev Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > First ink jet prints only contain excess moisture for a short

    time.
    > They dry.
    >
    > I don't suggest using a standard heat type dry mount press until

    you
    > test prints made with your machine and ink. Some inks don't react

    well with
    > heat.
    >
    > If you are going to use a spray glue, get the stuff made for

    photos.
    > Better yet, get the peel and stick backing. That way you know the

    glue is
    > on a nice even coat.
    >
    > Be ready to practice a few times. You don't get a second chance,

    so you
    > may loose a print or two form time to time.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Personaly I'm not keen on spray Glue. If you can find some "Cow" gum I
    would go for it.

    Trev, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Birk Binnard

    Savidge4 Guest

    >I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
    >developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson 1280.
    >The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
    >
    >I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain too
    >much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them on
    >foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
    >cheaper to do.
    >---------------
    >Birk Binnard
    >Peninsula Software
    >http://www.birkbinnard.com

    I went with the spray glue route and have had mixed results at best. I too get
    the waves and bumps over time. For framed images I have gone to sandwiching
    the images between glass, and ensuring a nice tight fit. That has resolved
    many of these problems.

    For larger images, i have gotten away from foam board all together and use
    contact sement on the back of the image, and use plexiglass for the sturdy
    substrate. it is a bit more expensive, but with my own personal use have found
    this to work *All* of the time.

    hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Oct 25, 2003
  5. "Birk Binnard" <> wrote in message
    > I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
    > developed waves.

    I see this quite a bit in stranger's homes. That's how I can tell which
    one's, I assume, they printed themselves.
    Before printing spray the back of the paper with a light coating of
    non-glossy fixative.
    Mark_

    mark_digitalĀ©, Oct 25, 2003
  6. Birk Binnard

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 25-Oct-2003, "Birk Binnard" <> wrote:

    > I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
    > developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson
    > 1280.
    > The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
    >
    > I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain
    > too
    > much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them
    > on
    > foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
    > cheaper to do.

    I've drymounted many color inkjet prints (mostly from an Epson 2200). I use
    the same procedure that I use for regular chemical color prints (color
    mount, 175 degrees).

    Spray glue works, too.

    I have better results drymounting, my wife says spray glue is easier, but
    she's a graphic artist and has been using it for 25 years.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com

    Tom Thackrey, Oct 25, 2003
  7. Birk Binnard

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The framing place where I have my inkjet prints mounted uses the lower heat
    setting - we are not sure that is necessary, but it works. I have prints
    that have been mounted for more than 4 years now and they are fine.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Oct 25, 2003
  8. Birk Binnard

    ERich10983 Guest

    I dry mounted some 11x14 prints from my Canon S9000 a couple of months ago. I
    used a couple of brands of dry mount tissue that I've had for over 25 years
    that was intended for conventional color prints, therefore low temperature
    rated. The results on foam core board were very good. No ripples, no bubbles
    and no fuss.
    I used a standard Technal Model 500 dry mount press that I've had for years.

    If you do a Google search for dry mount tissue, you will find several companies
    that sell it. Just pick one of the low temperature rated materials.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH

    ERich10983, Oct 25, 2003
  9. Birk Binnard

    Birk Binnard Guest

    Thanks...will report results later

    Thanks for all the replies. Since we already have some foam board I'm going
    to try the double-sided sticky paper and see how that works. I'll report
    back with results.
    ---------------
    Birk Binnard
    Peninsula Software

    Birk Binnard, Oct 25, 2003
  10. Birk Binnard

    Robertwgross Guest

    Birk wrote:
    >I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain too
    >much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them on
    >foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
    >cheaper to do.

    I do this all the time. When the inkjet print comes out of the printer, it
    seems a bit damp. So I place it about one foot above a 100-watt incandescent
    bulb to dry for about one hour. Then I use spray adhesive on foam board, and
    let that dry for just a couple of minutes until it begins to get tacky. If the
    adhesive is not spread finely enough, that makes a problem. After the print is
    applied to the adhesive, I put it a simple press made out of flat sheets of
    wood (with paper surface). About 20 pounds for an hour, and then it's ready.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Oct 25, 2003