  1. plw

    plw Guest

    Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    plw, Apr 12, 2007

  2. plw

    elaich Guest

    "plw" <> wrote in news:461db055$0$16733
    $:

    > Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    You just push the magic button and whoosh!

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Apr 12, 2007

  3. plw wrote:

    > Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    Bittorrent is the key. Newsfroups once were designed for store-and-forward
    distribution of text messages. Posting multipart binaries is something like
    a crutch or abuse or even abusing a crutch ;-).

    Walter Mautner, Apr 12, 2007
  4. plw

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    "plw" <> said in news:461db055$0$16733
    $:

    > Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    Downloading such stuff from Usenet is a pain in the ass. You have to have
    the correct newsreader to do it (and no, Outhouse Depress won't do it) and
    a really good news server that has a high retention rate. Roadrunner isn't
    one of them, you need a premium service which costs extra money. They
    charge by how much bandwidth you're going to use and how many gigabytes per
    month you download. Besides, if RR is like some other high speed ISPs
    around, they limit how much you can download from their news servers per
    month.

    MELVIN

    Melvin Snerd, Apr 12, 2007
  5. plw

    Robb Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    >plw wrote:
    >
    >> Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    >Bittorrent is the key.

    The key to what, waiting?

    >Newsfroups once were designed for store-and-forward
    >distribution of text messages. Posting multipart binaries
    >is something like a crutch or abuse or even abusing a crutch ;-).

    A crutch? Never mind the fact that Usenet supports ~3TB of (new)
    binaries a day, and text newsgroups are a piddling 2GB. Maybe
    your' re right, I could resell the 4176GB worth of new SCSI drives
    and enclosures I bought this month and just get a new bass boat. :p

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Apr 12, 2007
  6. plw

    Kenny Guest

    I agree with Melvin, too much hassle trying to d/l a movie from usenet, you
    can finish up with missing parts etc.. It is however very good for smaller
    files, my main use is for karaoke MP3+G files.
    As he says you'll need a good newsreader which will combine and decode
    binaries and a newsserver which carries them. I use Forte Agent although
    find it a bit difficult to get to grips with at times.
    Many ISP's here in the UK have dropped their newsserver and if yours is one
    of these you'll need to subscribe to a paid for service.
    I changed ISP's from Wanadoo to Madasafish for this very reason, although
    the Wanadoo service overall was good they suddenly and with no warning
    dropped their newsserver.

    --
    Kenny

    Kenny, Apr 12, 2007
  7. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:06:50 -0500, "plw" <> wrote:

    >Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    Turn back now, my son, from the Path to RUIN and DESTITUTION

    RM

    Robert Mugabe, Apr 12, 2007
  8. plw

    john sumner Guest

    Robert Mugabe wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:06:50 -0500, "plw" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    > Turn back now, my son, from the Path to RUIN and DESTITUTION
    >
    > RM

    *PLONK* you troll.

    john sumner, Apr 12, 2007
  9. plw

    elaich Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote in

    > Bittorrent is the key. Newsfroups once were designed for
    > store-and-forward distribution of text messages. Posting multipart
    > binaries is something like a crutch or abuse or even abusing a crutch
    > ;-).

    I found just the opposite. Torrents are slow, unreliable, and the chances
    of finding a torrent for what you want are slim. If you find it on Usenet,
    it's there to download quickly and reliably, as long as all the segments
    are there. PAR files are great for this.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Apr 12, 2007
  10. plw

    ellis_jay Guest

    Robb wrote:
    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >> plw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv
    >>> shows

    >> Bittorrent is the key.

    > The key to what, waiting?
    >
    >> Newsfroups once were designed for store-and-forward
    >> distribution of text messages. Posting multipart binaries
    >> is something like a crutch or abuse or even abusing a crutch ;-).

    > A crutch? Never mind the fact that Usenet supports ~3TB of (new)
    > binaries a day, and text newsgroups are a piddling 2GB. Maybe
    > your' re right, I could resell the 4176GB worth of new SCSI drives
    > and enclosures I bought this month and

    just get a new bass boat. :p

    Now I AM jealous!!

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  11. plw

    ellis_jay Guest

    john sumner wrote:
    > Robert Mugabe wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:06:50 -0500, "plw" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv
    >>> shows

    >> Turn back now, my son, from the Path to RUIN and DESTITUTION
    >>
    >> RM

    > *PLONK* you troll.

    Humor makes your *P* spot itch? lol

    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  12. plw

    sittingduck Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > I agree with Melvin, too much hassle

    I'm so happy people like you are too stupid to figure it out. We need less
    idiots in usenet, it leaves the place a lot cleaner for the ones that have
    found out how easy it is once you know what you are doing.

    sittingduck, Apr 12, 2007
  13. elaich wrote:

    > Walter Mautner <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bittorrent is the key. Newsfroups once were designed for
    >> store-and-forward distribution of text messages. Posting multipart
    >> binaries is something like a crutch or abuse or even abusing a crutch
    >> ;-).

    > I found just the opposite. Torrents are slow, unreliable, and the chances
    > of finding a torrent for what you want are slim. If you find it on Usenet,
    > it's there to download quickly and reliably, as long as all the segments
    > are there. PAR files are great for this.

    Well, you need a paid newsserver where your authorization and account data
    is only as safe as the mpaa or nsa wants - ISP newsservers are crap and
    have too little retention time.
    A dvd (4G) usually takes a few hours here, on broadband.
    It is necessary to forward/open the incoming port (variable) according to
    the settings.
    The main problem is, simple bittorrent clients use the standard port (6881?)
    which will be blocked by many ISPs and you may need to tweak the registry
    to change to something like 50000.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 12, 2007
  14. On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:37:29 -0700, sittingduck
    <> wrote:

    >Kenny wrote:
    >
    >> I agree with Melvin, too much hassle

    >I'm so happy people like you are too stupid to figure it out. We need less
    >idiots in usenet, it leaves the place a lot cleaner for the ones that have
    >found out how easy it is once you know what you are doing.

    Seconded. P2P and IRC sucks in comparison.

    Bohica Pebkac, Apr 13, 2007
  15. plw

    sittingduck Guest

    Bohica Pebkac wrote:

    >>I'm so happy people like you are too stupid to figure it out. We need less
    >>idiots in usenet, it leaves the place a lot cleaner for the ones that have
    >>found out how easy it is once you know what you are doing.

    > Seconded. P2P and IRC sucks in comparison.

    shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell them that! Tell them p2p is GOOD, and bit
    torrent is their friend. That way they can draw the heat from the MPAA, etc.

    sittingduck, Apr 13, 2007
  16. plw

    Melvin Snerd Guest

    sittingduck <> said in

    > Bohica Pebkac wrote:
    >
    >>>I'm so happy people like you are too stupid to figure it out. We need
    >>>less idiots in usenet, it leaves the place a lot cleaner for the ones
    >>>that have found out how easy it is once you know what you are doing.

    >> Seconded. P2P and IRC sucks in comparison.

    > shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell them that! Tell them p2p is GOOD, and bit
    > torrent is their friend. That way they can draw the heat from the
    > MPAA, etc.

    Yeah, yeah, but anyone using Outhouse and wants to download full length DVD
    ISOs is going to be a bit k|00 fucked on the whole issue. I gave the best
    advice, I think, for the OP.

    Neener.

    MELVIN

    Melvin Snerd, Apr 13, 2007
  17. plw

    Frosty Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:06:50 -0500 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "plw"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    >Can some tell me how to use newsgroups to download movies and tv shows

    Just rent the steekin' movies!

    Frosty, Apr 13, 2007
  18. plw

    Robb Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote:

    >Well, you need a paid newsserver where your authorization and account data
    >is only as safe as the mpaa or nsa wants

    Are you kidding or just tossing out some FUD. No, it looks like you're
    spreading pure unadulterated bullshit. I maintain user info extremely
    securely and I've never been asked for a bit of info, the MPAA/NSA "can't
    get what ain't there".

    If someone logs into biggulp/freebin *what* username / pass needs
    "securing", since they don't require auth in the first place. If the OP
    finds the server in my path they can download from it.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Apr 13, 2007

    Walter Mautner, Apr 14, 2007