How To Download/ Upload? Help me please. Yes ive read the "friendly" manual

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by suntzu, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. suntzu

    suntzu Guest

    Ok I'm trying to download some big files from this thing. I'm using
    Forte agent.

    Now the files i want to download have many segments in many different
    posts. Whne i try and open one segment theres a message telling that i
    have to join them before downloading. So i right click and press join.

    then i have a file i can download. Once i have joined them all
    individually and downloaded them all. I still have them in .rar
    format. My winrar does not unpack the files. It says that theres
    something worg with the format.

    Am i doing something wrong? Am i missing a step?

    Another issue.
    What are .par files. What software do i need to unpack .par files?

    Another issue.
    Ive read something about mime? what is MIME, and what software
    (freeware) do i need? Thanks.
    suntzu, Aug 4, 2003

  2. suntzu

    °Mike° Guest

    Group / Default Properties / Receive Files tab. Check:

    Detect yEnc files automatically.
    Join multipart messages when retrieving headers.
    Join multipart messages when saving attachments.
    Burst digest into separate messages.

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:14:02 -0400, in
    <>
    suntzu scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 4, 2003

  3. suntzu

    °Mike° Guest

    How can anybody have this much difficulty downloading
    with Agent? Sigh!

    Let's say you see files like:
    <filename.zip> 1/4
    <filename.zip> 2/4
    <filename.zip> 3/4
    <filename.zip> 4/4

    That means there are 4 parts to the file. Highlight them all and
    choose 'Join'. Make sure you line them up in number order,
    then join them. You can do this either before, or after you
    download them, but you can't mix - ie. you join them ALL
    one way or the other. Simple.

    Try reading the help file; it really is quite good.

    PAR files are used for reconstructing RAR files, when parts
    are missing or incomplete. You need SmartPar
    http://www.help4newbies.fsnet.co.uk/pars.htm

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 11:51:14 -0400, in
    <>
    suntzu scrawled: