How to download Quicktime (6) .MOV files PLEASE ANSWER THIS CRY FOR HELP

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Edwinah63, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Edwinah63

    Edwinah63 Guest

    Dear all,

    am having trouble saving a quicktime mov file from a web site. this is
    not a movie trailer so i don't have a lot of options to ftp from
    various sites.

    i have the quicktime plug in 6.5.2 on win 2k.

    had a google around the groups and found some info to try and save the
    mov file to wit:

    1. open quicktime plugin (the app proper, not the webpage)
    2. cut and paste url, download mov

    there is no option to save file in the QT plugin so did as was
    suggested which the writer (Fourth Monkey) said would work.....

    3. opened C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
    4. tried to * copy * "mystery" QT tmp file but had an exclusive file
    lock (this file is deleted if close QT).
    5. reboot computer (harsh i know) so broke lock
    6. renamed tmp to mov

    tried to run my file but it was partially corrupted. tried steps 1 to
    6 several times (ie movie progress bar at start, prog bar at end the
    only one that partially worked was when prog bar was about half way)
    but with even less success.

    so my questions are:

    * why are my mov files being corrupted? is this being caused by the
    reboot OR is QT doing something deliberately?

    * if the above method above should work all of the time, can someone
    (Fourth Monkey maybe?) explain what i am doing wrong? (detailed steps
    pls on exactly how to do this - i am a dummy ;)

    * i have tried smartftp but cannot get into the website as an
    anonymous login.

    * is there any other free/shareware that i can use to save a mov file?

    * how can i break the system lock without rebooting or corrupting my
    file?

    many thanks for your patience

    Edwinah63

    Edwinah63, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Edwinah63

    deepblue111 Guest

    Re: How to download Quicktime (6) .MOV files PLEASE ANSWER THIS CRY FOR HELP

    Try the Quicktime Pro version.

    deepblue111, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Edwinah63

    Omarichu Guest

    Just click on the movie file, let it completely play, go into your TIF folder
    and cut and paste it onto your desktop or whatever.

    Omarichu, Jan 28, 2005