How to do Wireless with Windows 2000??

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Nancy, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Hello everybody,
    I hope somebody will be able to help me. I have 2 laptops at home that
    I want to use wireless. To do that, I recently bought and installed a
    LinkSys Access point. Since the first laptop uses Windows XP, I had no
    problem to make it work wireless. Instantly the computer has detected
    the wireless connection. It is with the other computer that I have
    problem.

    The second computer does not use XP but Windows 2000 professional with
    a Centrino processor (by the way, I cannot uninstall Windows 2000 and
    replace it by XP, I have to keep Windows 2000). I have read that
    Windows 2000, even if I have a Centrino processor, is not made to
    automatically work wireless.

    Can someone tell me, what I need to do or to install in order to make
    my second laptop work wireless and detect the wireless connection
    around.

    Thanks a lot !!
    Nancy
    Nancy, Dec 14, 2004

  2. I am having an identical problem. Can anyone help us? Hey Nancy if you get
    this solved can you email me how you did it?

    Thanks

    Derek.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVyZWtjbW9vcmVAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?=, Dec 14, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Hi Nancy,
    If your windows 2000 laptop has a wireless card
    (internal/external) then you can configure it for wireless. But you have to
    use a 3rd party wireless configuration client since windows 2000 does have an
    inbulit one like win XP. The clent utility that you have to install depends
    on the wireless card installed in the computer. If you can let me know the
    make of the wireless card installed in your computer then I can exactly let
    you know about the utility that you have to download. Just in case try this
    link:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/locoscat/20_58.html
    This link had utility for win 2000 (intel and Broadcom). Try installing one
    of them in your computer and check if it works.
    Also you need to enable a wireless zero configuration service in windows
    2000 before installating the utility. To do the same, please click on start,
    then RUN, then type in SERVICES.MSC. Then in the window that opens, please
    loacte the wireless zero configuration uitlity, double click it and then
    change the startup type to automatic and also start the service.
    Regs
    Vinay

    =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Hello Vinay,
    I'm a bit confused. I am a really dummy in networking so my next
    comments will maybe seem stupid ... Since my PC processor is Centrino I
    though I didn't need a wireless card ... I though it was all built in
    .... Am I wrong?
    Nancy
    Nancy, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Nancy

    Bryan Linton Guest

    If you have a "centrino" computer, it means your computer has a wireless
    network card built into it. However, you still need software to use the
    wireless network card. That software is built into windows XP, but not
    windows 2000. That means you need to get that software, either from the
    computer manufacturer or from intel (who makes the wireless network card).

    http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/sb/cs-008174.htm

    Without more information I'm afraid I can't tell you much more than that.

    Bryan

    Bryan Linton, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Hi Nancy,
    I missed the centrio part. If u have centrino, then you have an
    wireless card (intel). Please use the folowwing link to downlaod the intel
    proset tool for windows 2000 wireless connectivity.
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/18640.html
    Also, please remeber to start the service as in my previosu post

    =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Nancy, you DO have a wireless connextion. It is built into your laptop.

    But Vinay, I tried what you said about Wireless Zero Configuartion or
    wahtever. and only win xp has wirelss ZERO configuration, 2000 only hass
    wireless configuration, and i tried ur suggestion changing to auto and
    installing the utility but wheni tried to install the utility it asid i have
    a newer version of it already installed but nothing still works.

    I HATE WINDOWS 2000. And it seems nobody knows how to make this work.

    HELP ME MICROSOFT!!!!
    =?Utf-8?B?ZGVyZWtjbW9vcmVAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?=, Dec 14, 2004
  9. Nancy

    Steve Guest

    You have turn on the wireless? most Centrino notebooks have a hardware power
    button on the computer case some ware, look at the Manuals for its location

    Steve

    Steve, Dec 14, 2004
  10. Could help better, if the folowwing questions are answered:
    1) Does it pick up the router?
    2) Do you see the INTEL proset utility icon on the task bar?
    3) Do you have the latest drivers for the wireless card?
    If no, please download them
    from:http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/22143.html
    4) If you are able to connect to the router, then what is the IP address
    info when you do ipconfig /all in the command prompt?

    =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?=, Dec 14, 2004
  11. "Centrino" based laptops often come with a wireless adapter,
    but some models do not have it.
    Need to check with manufacturer of your machine.
    If it is Dell, visit dell.com, for Thinkpad, visit pc.ibm.com etc.
    --PA

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=, Dec 14, 2004
  12. Nancy

    Nancy Guest

    Thanks A LOT Vinay and the others for your help !!!
    Its work !
    Nancy, Dec 17, 2004