    Just having some trouble tracking this info down.

    Many thanks,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 13, 2006

  2. Steve

    Uli Link Guest

    Steve schrieb:

    > It's mentioned as a feature in the documentation and on the Cisco
    > website that it's possible to update the DSL firmware of an 877.
    >
    > Does anyone have information on how this is done? Can it be done by
    > the end user?

    It can be done by anyone with administrative user/pwd on the device.

    It's quite straightforward.

    - login vial telnet/ssh
    - enable to priviliged mode
    - "copy tftp: flash:"
    and you will be prompted for IP address, remote filename
    and local filename on the flash and before copying you
    are prompted if the flash filesystem should be erased before.

    The router's firmware is called the "IOS Image".
    The DSL Modem firmware should be copied to flash: the same way, but
    *NOT* erase flash: before copying! The IOS is looking for a file with a
    given name in flash: during the booting sequence.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    So when I update the firmware there will be a new file in flash (the
    new firmware one) ?
    Because currently there is only the IOS listed.
    Or when uploading will the original firmware be replaced by the new
    one?

    How will the IOS know which version of the firmware to load. If there
    is one in flash will it use this by default rather than the original?

    Are there any commands (other than sh ver) that will give me more info
    on this?

    Thanks!
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 13, 2006
  4. Steve

    Uli Link Guest

    Steve schrieb:

    > So when I update the firmware there will be a new file in flash (the
    > new firmware one) ?

    Yes.

    > Because currently there is only the IOS listed.
    > Or when uploading will the original firmware be replaced by the new
    > one?

    No. You can always revert to the IOS embedded FW by simply deleting the
    FW update image from flash:

    > How will the IOS know which version of the firmware to load. If there
    > is one in flash will it use this by default rather than the original?

    Yes.

    > Are there any commands (other than sh ver) that will give me more info
    > on this?

    sh dsl int atm0

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Many thanks for the quick replies to my questions - it's much
    appreciated.

    I've looked at that show command in the past but not for info on the FW
    It seems to me that the DSL firmware may be included in the IOS - would
    that be correct?

    I've been looking at the following page:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/prod_bulletin0900aecd801d5c4c.html

    This shows the latest FW as being 2.5.27 and mentioned IOS version
    12.4(4)T

    I have IOS 12.4(6)T installed and the FW is listed as 2.5.42

    sh dsl int atm0 shows the following:
    Init FW: embedded
    Operation FW: embedded
    FW version: 2.5.42

    However, I can't find any info on this version of firmware on the Cisco
    site (maybe I need more access or I'm not searching for the right
    terms) ...

    Does what I've suggested make sense? Or do I still need to pick up a
    FW file to update ...
    .... and on that note where would I find differences in FW revisions?

    :)
    Thanks again,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 13, 2006
  6. Steve

    Merv Guest

    The firmware is integrated with the IOS image.

    So when you upgrade IOS you will get whatever firmware version was
    integrated with that release

    Merv, Mar 13, 2006
  7. Steve

    Steve Guest

    That makes sense given what I've seen - thanks ...

    So is there somewhere I can find differences related to the firmware
    revisions?

    Thanks
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Steve

    Merv Guest

    Merv, Mar 13, 2006
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks for the links. I guess there's no real need of having a
    secondary firmware version, but it's all good info none the less ...

    Thanks to the replies and help with this - all makes sense now .... :)

    Cheers,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 14, 2006
  10. Steve

    irfaangm

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Not picking up CISCO 877 DSL on WinXP hyper terminal but picks it up on Win7 hyper

    Hi

    We refurbished cisco 877 routers. When tested on WinXP, it fails to pick up the DSL, but when we test it on a Win7 machine it picks the DSL fine and all seems fine.

    Do we need to update the firmware on the 877 router for the XP machine hyper terminal to pick up the routers DSL??

    Thanks

    irfaangm, Aug 29, 2011