    Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?
    GraB, Jan 3, 2006

  2. "GraB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    > running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    > of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    My parents took theirs to the dump - quite sad really.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 3, 2006

  3. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:44:55 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    > running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose of
    > such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    Trademe.. $1.00 reserve, + P&P
    you never know

    --
    Reality always seems harsher in the early morning.
    Shane, Jan 3, 2006
  4. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:44:55 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    > running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    > of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    A P75 should still be usable as a Linux-based network firewall. Altho' the
    hardware would be getting rather old now. But if it still works...

    I've recently upgraded my own network firewall from a P120 to a P3-600.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    "Simply opening the wrong Web page or receiving an e-mail with an errant
    image file could be enough to cripple your computer, thanks to a newly
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Jan 3, 2006
  5. GraB

    ~misfit~ Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    > running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    > of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    Never underestimate the market. However, personally I think that, sadly,
    it's time to retire it.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2006
  6. GraB

    Peter S Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    > running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    > of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    If you are in Christchurch, drop it off at Molten Media. They will recycle
    it, rather than filling landfills with it.

    Pete.
    Peter S, Jan 3, 2006
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 19:51:43 +1300, "Peter S"
    <> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    >> running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    >> of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    >If you are in Christchurch, drop it off at Molten Media. They will recycle
    >it, rather than filling landfills with it.

    Dunedin.
    GraB, Jan 3, 2006
  8. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 15:44:55 +1300, GraB <> wrote:

    >Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    >running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    >of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    In the EU you are going to be allowed to return it to the manafacture
    and they have to dispose of it - think that starts this year.
    Hence you see taxi with banner advers for sun 'eco' blade servers that
    are 100% recycable
    Images of home (NZ)
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz
    John in Surrey, Jan 3, 2006
  9. GraB

    Philip Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> Old friend rang me up, has upgraded from his old P75 with 14" monitor,
    >> running Win95 and want to know what to do with it. How do you dispose
    >> of such a PC? No-one would buy this, would they?

    > My parents took theirs to the dump - quite sad really.

    I could see using it for a Linux firewall, a CD server (hoick out the
    HD, boot it from a floppy or old Zip-disk with Knoppix or QDOS and use
    it to keep the four most commonly referenced CD Roms we use each day
    (OED, proofreading styleguide, Britannica & the French, Italian & German
    dictionaries) in the house network, use it as a mailserver to the house
    network, use it for recording RSS podcast feeds for our radio station,
    run Ubuntu on it and make it where all the downloads & incomíng traffic
    go first, because it'll still be faster than anything that happens
    online in this remote corner of Skull Island...

    I wouldn't throw it away and if I were me I and living in Dunners I'd be
    knocking at your door in about 40 minutes from now.

    For your safety and security I am in fact at the other end of the other
    island, so you don't have to worry.

    Philip

    (in the Bay of Islands)
    Philip, Jan 3, 2006