  1. test

    test Guest

    Can anyone be kind enough to tell me how to disable safe mode in windows 2000 / XP?
    test, Oct 31, 2005

  2. test

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "test" <> say in
    news::

    > Can anyone be kind enough to tell me how to disable safe mode in
    > windows 2000 / XP?

    why would you want to do that? even with safe mode they have to have a
    local user account that they will need to log in with.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
    bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to build
    bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook
    Neil, Oct 31, 2005

  3. test

    test Guest

    No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :Xns97005D31E3F43neilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16...

    test, Oct 31, 2005
  4. test

    Neil Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    did you hear "test" <> say in news:eJ6Fd4i3FHA.3296
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    I'm sooo confused

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?
    Neil, Oct 31, 2005
  5. test

    kpg Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    Replying in the subject field is considered bad form.

    Asking questions that make no sense is also bad form.
    kpg, Oct 31, 2005
  6. test

    Neil Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    did you hear "test" <> say in news:eJ6Fd4i3FHA.3296
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    true, which is different from safe mode.

    http://watchdogpc.com/help-guides-faq.shtml#10

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - A social life? What board can I download THAT from??
    Neil, Oct 31, 2005
  7. test

    JaR Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    > true, which is different from safe mode.
    >
    > http://watchdogpc.com/help-guides-faq.shtml#10

    "This should cause Windows to crash the next time it is booted into Safe
    Mode."

    That would seem a sub-optimal solution.

    --
    JaR
    Thug 10110
    JaR, Oct 31, 2005
  8. test

    Neil Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    did you hear JaR <> say in

    > In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil spewed across the ether:
    >

    >> true, which is different from safe mode.
    >>
    >> http://watchdogpc.com/help-guides-faq.shtml#10

    > "This should cause Windows to crash the next time it is booted into

    Safe
    > Mode."
    >
    > That would seem a sub-optimal solution.

    I didn't even say it was supported. MS does not directly provide a way to
    disable it (IIRC) but this will, um, kinda work...

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - If at first you don't succeed, call it Version 4.0
    Neil, Oct 31, 2005
  9. test

    test Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    Yes, it works. I have already try it before. But I don't think it is a
    perfect solution.

    "Neil" <guess!!!@gmail.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :Xns9700846D3102Fneilmcsegmailcom@207.46.248.16...

    test, Nov 1, 2005
  10. test

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "test" <> wrote in news:u$:

    > Yes, it works. I have already try it before. But I don't think it is a
    > perfect solution.

    no it's not. have you considered re-mapping the F8 key?

    --
    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP Thug #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 1, 2005
  11. test

    kpg Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    Rowdy Yates <> said something like

    > # Name resolution details: file://c:\temp\176233.htm (11/1/2005
    > 8:02:35 AM) # "test" <> wrote in
    >

    >> Yes, it works. I have already try it before. But I don't think it is
    >> a perfect solution.

    > no it's not. have you considered re-mapping the F8 key?

    Just remove it, you know, with a pair of pliers.

    Also unneeded is that squigle thing over there on the upper left, I
    mean, who ever uses that?

    Other keys that can be removed: <Scroll Lock> (does anyone besides me
    know what this is for?), <Pause>, <SysRq> and <Break>.

    OK, I do use the <Break> key when I take my 15 min break twice a day,
    so I guess you can leave that one.

    And do we really need two <Shift>, <Alt> and <Ctrl> keys? Come on, don't
    be lazy, go ahead and reach across that keyboard.

    With all those spaces freed up I'm sure we can find room for the <P0rn>
    key, and maybe one of those <Any> keys I hear so much about.

    kp "Scroll Lock" g
    kpg, Nov 1, 2005
  12. test

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> rambled:

    > Other keys that can be removed: <Scroll Lock> (does anyone besides me
    > know what this is for?),

    The only use of Scroll Lock I know of is switching between computers with a
    KVM switch. Other than that, it's rather useless. To me, anyway.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    I modified the signatures.ini file to add this: www.mcngp.com
    Briscobar, Nov 1, 2005
  13. test

    Frisbee® Guest

    "Briscobar" <> wrote in message
    > kpg <ipost@thereforeiam> rambled:
    >>
    >> Other keys that can be removed: <Scroll Lock> (does anyone besides me
    >> know what this is for?),

    > The only use of Scroll Lock I know of is switching between computers with
    > KVM switch. Other than that, it's rather useless. To me, anyway.

    The original intention of the scroll lock key was that for lists, it would
    "lock" the cursor at whatever vertical position it would currently be in,
    and scroll the entire screen up or down, leaving the cursor itself in a
    locked position. It is, however, a programmable key, in that it does not
    perform this function by itself. The applications are expected to check the
    state of this key and react accordingly. Hence, the vast majority of
    applications do absolutely nothing with this key, including none of the
    programs I have ever written.
    Frisbee®, Nov 1, 2005
  14. test

    Jtyc Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    > including none of the programs I have ever written.

    lazy...
    Jtyc, Nov 1, 2005
  15. test

    JaR Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Frisbee® spewed across the ether:

    >> The only use of Scroll Lock I know of is switching between computers
    >> with a
    >> KVM switch. Other than that, it's rather useless. To me, anyway.

    > The original intention of the scroll lock key was that for lists, it
    > would "lock" the cursor at whatever vertical position it would
    > currently be in, and scroll the entire screen up or down, leaving the
    > cursor itself in a locked position. It is, however, a programmable
    > key, in that it does not perform this function by itself. The
    > applications are expected to check the state of this key and react
    > accordingly. Hence, the vast majority of applications do absolutely
    > nothing with this key, including none of the programs I have ever
    > written.

    Actually, I use it quite a lot when I'm working with speadsheets to move
    the page up and down without moving the cell.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110
    >could you explain the steps to add the DC that you took?

    Sure,
    1 - I posted question here.....(Kline Sphere, in mpcemcse)
    JaR, Nov 1, 2005
  16. test

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    JaR <> rambled:

    > when I'm working with speadsheets

    You're in the IT department?

    <points>
    <laughs>

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    Visiting www.mcngp.com will make you smarter. And sexier.
    Briscobar, Nov 1, 2005
  17. test

    JaR Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    > You're in the IT department?
    >
    > <points>
    > <laughs>

    I told you, if it has anything to do with one of the boxen mit
    blinkenlichten, I get delegated to do it.

    My job sucks, but at least the pay's lousy.

    --
    JaR
    *Remove hat to reply
    JaR, Nov 1, 2005
  18. test

    Briscobar Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    JaR <> rambled:

    > I told you, if it has anything to do with one of the boxen mit
    > blinkenlichten, I get delegated to do it.
    >
    > My job sucks, but at least the pay's lousy.

    Speaking of calling them funny names...here's a story from my trip last
    week...i think this lady was kidding, but you never know:

    So I was in charge of our PocketPCs. I had to set up the customers in our
    little ordering program, and then they go about their business with the
    handhelds scanning product and entering quantity. Of course, after a few
    minutes, the screen goes dark to conserve battery power. A simple tap of the
    screen with the stylus (or, because the customer probably dropped the stylus
    somewhere, they use a pen. With the cap off. Yeah. For real) will turn the
    unit's screen all bright and shiny again.

    So, this geriatric shell of a woman comes up to me at the desk and says, I
    sh!t you not, "My spirit box went night-night." I cocked my head like an
    inquisitive little puppy, then realized she was referring to the handheld.
    Then I laughed in her face. At her, with her, it doesn't matter really. But
    I showed her how to wake it up from it's "night-night", and went about my
    business. She was so old taht I don't think she could remember how to make a
    joke, so she may have been dead serious. I don't know. But it sure as hell
    was funny.

    --
    KB

    MCNGP #26
    Be the lucky 12th customer to visit www.mcngp.com, and you can win a
    bucket of salted slugs!
    Briscobar, Nov 1, 2005
  19. test

    kpg Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    > Actually, I use it quite a lot when I'm working with speadsheets to
    > move the page up and down without moving the cell.

    !

    We'll golly gee. See, that's why I come here every day, just
    on the off chance that I might learn something.

    That's cool, Now it moves, now it doesn't.

    But what does this Sleep Button...^H***DIAL TONE
    kpg, Nov 1, 2005
  20. test

    JaR Guest

    Re: No... User can log in to (Safe mode with <Network>)

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Briscobar spewed across the ether:

    > "My spirit box went night-night."

    That's priceless.

    You should have waved a dead chicken over it and tapped it with a rattle
    while muttering dark incantations.

    JaR, Nov 1, 2005