    Is there any way of removing M$ IE from my computer. Same goes for M$ OE.
    Thx.
    Joe
    JoeSoap, Jun 21, 2006

  2. JoeSoap

    Canopus Guest

    JoeSoap on 21/06/2006 wrote:

    >Hi, I use Firefox as my default browser. When I open links from
    >Thunderbird it is always M$ IE that comes up.
    >Is there any way of removing M$ IE from my computer. Same goes for M$ OE.
    >Thx.
    >Joe

    When you set FF as your default browser also check that in IE under
    Properties > Programs tab you have "Internet Explorer should check to see
    whether it is the default browser" unchecked or else IE will grab back the
    association.

    If you delete IE you will not be able to get any Windows updates, that is
    unless you install the WindizUpdate plug in into FF
    http://windizupdate.com/ . You may also find other things are not working
    correctly by deleting IE.

    --
    Rob

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/canopus_archives/
    Canopus, Jun 21, 2006

  3. JoeSoap

    Canopus Guest

    Canopus, Jun 21, 2006
  4. JoeSoap

    JoeSoap Guest

    Canopus wrote:
    > JoeSoap on 21/06/2006 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I use Firefox as my default browser. When I open links from
    >> Thunderbird it is always M$ IE that comes up.
    >> Is there any way of removing M$ IE from my computer. Same goes for M$
    >> OE.
    >> Thx.
    >> Joe

    > When you set FF as your default browser also check that in IE under
    > Properties > Programs tab you have "Internet Explorer should check to
    > see whether it is the default browser" unchecked or else IE will grab
    > back the association.
    >
    > If you delete IE you will not be able to get any Windows updates, that
    > is unless you install the WindizUpdate plug in into FF
    > http://windizupdate.com/ . You may also find other things are not
    > working correctly by deleting IE.

    Thx for the info. Joe
    JoeSoap, Jun 21, 2006
  5. JoeSoap

    JoeSoap Guest

    JoeSoap, Jun 21, 2006
  6. JoeSoap

    Jedi Fans Guest

    On 21/06/06 14:25, JoeSoap Scribbled:
    > Canopus wrote:
    >> JoeSoap on 21/06/2006 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I use Firefox as my default browser. When I open links from
    >>> Thunderbird it is always M$ IE that comes up.
    >>> Is there any way of removing M$ IE from my computer. Same goes for
    >>> M$ OE.
    >>> Thx.
    >>> Joe

    >> When you set FF as your default browser also check that in IE under
    >> Properties > Programs tab you have "Internet Explorer should check to
    >> see whether it is the default browser" unchecked or else IE will grab
    >> back the association.
    >>
    >> If you delete IE you will not be able to get any Windows updates, that
    >> is unless you install the WindizUpdate plug in into FF
    >> http://windizupdate.com/ . You may also find other things are not
    >> working correctly by deleting IE.
    >>

    > Thx for the info. Joe

    You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    --
    Hope This Helped and MTFBWY...
    Kieren aka JediFans - <url:http://jedifans.com/>
    Jedi Fans, Jun 21, 2006
  7. JoeSoap

    Jedi Fans, Jun 21, 2006
  8. JoeSoap

    John Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
    wrote:

    >You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    ????????????????
    See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb

    (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it CAN be
    done.)

    John <><
    John, Jun 21, 2006
  9. JoeSoap

    John, Jun 21, 2006
  10. JoeSoap

    gwtc Guest

    John <>< wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    > ????????????????
    > See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >
    > (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it CAN be
    > done.)
    >
    > John <><

    Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

    --
    I just got my new FREE Sun t-shirt today, and the saying on it says:
    "The average human uses only 10% of his brainpower. Find nine other
    gwtc, Jun 21, 2006
  11. JoeSoap

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jun 21, 2006
  12. JoeSoap

    JoeSoap Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > John <>< wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
    >> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    >> ????????????????
    >> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >>
    >> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
    >> CAN be
    >> done.)
    >>
    >> John <><

    > Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links

    As I understand it M$ IE is part of the win OS. So why should I use
    Firefox? All I am doing is doubling up on a browser, fill up disk
    space. I suppose It is choice, yer pays yer money and takes yer
    choice. I guess I will be going back to M$ IE.
    Thx for all the help.
    Joe
    JoeSoap, Jun 21, 2006
  13. JoeSoap

    JoeSoap Guest

    JoeSoap, Jun 21, 2006
  14. JoeSoap

    gwtc Guest

    JoeSoap wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>John <>< wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
    >>><"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">

    >>>????????????????
    >>>See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >>>
    >>>(I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
    >>>CAN be
    >>>done.)
    >>>
    >>>John <><

    >>Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links
    >>

    > As I understand it M$ IE is part of the win OS. So why should I use
    > Firefox? All I am doing is doubling up on a browser, fill up disk
    > space. I suppose It is choice, yer pays yer money and takes yer
    > choice. I guess I will be going back to M$ IE.
    > Thx for all the help.
    > Joe

    if you don't like FF, then ask for your money back! ;-) :-D

    gwtc, Jun 21, 2006
  15. JoeSoap

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jun 21, 2006
  16. JoeSoap

    Animesh K Guest

    John <>< wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    > ????????????????
    > See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >
    > (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it CAN be
    > done.)
    >
    > John <><

    I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method (as opposed
    to deleting):

    1) Go to control-panel
    2) Open Add-Remove programs
    3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a new
    window will popup)
    4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many other such
    junk programs right there.

    You _don't need_ any program for doing it.

    Have fun,
    Animesh
    Animesh K, Jun 21, 2006
  17. JoeSoap

    Animesh K Guest

    Animesh K, Jun 21, 2006
  18. JoeSoap

    Animesh K Guest

    JoeSoap wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> John <>< wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
    >>> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">

    >>> ????????????????
    >>> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >>>
    >>> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly
    >>> it CAN be
    >>> done.)
    >>>
    >>> John <><

    >> Sorry, but some of us won't click on those tiny links
    >>

    > As I understand it M$ IE is part of the win OS. So why should I use
    > Firefox? All I am doing is doubling up on a browser, fill up disk
    > space. I suppose It is choice, yer pays yer money and takes yer
    > choice. I guess I will be going back to M$ IE.
    > Thx for all the help.
    > Joe

    There are 100s of reasons for using firefox; do you think millions of firefox
    users are dumb (as to waste disk-space, doubling browser, etc).

    Btw, if you are worried about the diskspace: Firefox takes about 17 MB +
    free-select cache size + a few kbs of cookies, which is 10 times less than what
    MS IE does. If you really want to have min disk space, replace IE by FF.

    Oh yeah! And we should not forget the new opera.

    Best,
    Animesh K, Jun 21, 2006
  19. JoeSoap

    Animesh K Guest

    Animesh K, Jun 21, 2006
  20. JoeSoap

    Animesh K Guest

    Animesh K wrote:
    > John <>< wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:44:37 +0100, Jedi Fans
    >> <"news[at]jedifans[--=dot=-]com">
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You cannot "delete" IE... only the shortcut to it

    >> ????????????????
    >> See http://tinyurl.com/jxjwb
    >>
    >> (I would not recommend it, or vouch for the method, but apparent;ly it
    >> CAN be
    >> done.)
    >>
    >> John <><

    > I think you can remove IE or Outlook express by the following method (as
    > opposed to deleting):
    >

    > 1) Go to control-panel
    > 2) Open Add-Remove programs
    > 3) Click on Add-Remove windows components on the left-side grey bar (a
    > new window will popup)
    > 4) You can remove "Internet explorer" or "Outlook express" or many other
    > such junk programs right there.
    >
    > You _don't need_ any program for doing it.
    >
    > Have fun,
    > Animesh

    Arghhh! I just followed the tinyurl link you gave --- the methods suggested are
    very weird. Play with things (programs) in XP, for you can always re-store them
    using PC restore wizard.
    Animesh K, Jun 21, 2006