    second drive..

    So how can it be done..?

    Thanks

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 1, 2004

  2. The GHOST of WOGER.

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:16:11 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    > I have 2 HD on a Controller, they both have active boot partitions, tried
    > all the tools I can find but none let me turn of the active partition on
    > the second drive..
    >
    > So how can it be done..?

    Use cfdisk from a Linux boot disk - maybe Knoppix includes it.

    It can toggle the boot flag (the Active partition in MS language) on
    and off for any partition.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 1, 2004

  3. The GHOST of WOGER.

    brundlefly Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:16:11 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >

    > > I have 2 HD on a Controller, they both have active boot partitions,

    tried
    > > all the tools I can find but none let me turn of the active partition on
    > > the second drive..
    > >
    > > So how can it be done..?

    > Use cfdisk from a Linux boot disk - maybe Knoppix includes it.
    >
    > It can toggle the boot flag (the Active partition in MS language) on
    > and off for any partition.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    If its to control which OS he boots from he might want to edit Boot.ini

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

    brundlefly, Jun 2, 2004
  4. The GHOST of WOGER.

    TEX Guest

    AD. wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:16:11 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    >

    >>I have 2 HD on a Controller, they both have active boot partitions, tried
    >>all the tools I can find but none let me turn of the active partition on
    >>the second drive..
    >>
    >>So how can it be done..?

    > Use cfdisk from a Linux boot disk - maybe Knoppix includes it.
    >
    > It can toggle the boot flag (the Active partition in MS language) on
    > and off for any partition.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    Why do you need to disable the active partition on the second drive
    anyway??? Cos it will never look at it unless it is specified in the
    bios to do so.

    TEX

    TEX, Jun 2, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER.

    John Potter Guest

    Try Ranish partition manager http://www.ranish.com/part/

    John Potter, Jun 2, 2004
  6. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    TEX <> wrote in news:40bce071$:

    > Why do you need to disable the active partition on the second drive
    > anyway??? Cos it will never look at it unless it is specified in the
    > bios to do so.
    >
    > TEX

    I agree. I think the OP should tell us what the desired goal is because
    the suggestions are all valid ways to toggle the active bit. It is
    obviously a problem where the OP thinks the solution is "make unactive"
    where it may actually need to be something altogether different like
    "hidden" or maybe an MBR issue.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2004
  7. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Dogg Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:38:45 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >TEX <> wrote in news:40bce071$:
    >
    >> Why do you need to disable the active partition on the second drive
    >> anyway??? Cos it will never look at it unless it is specified in the
    >> bios to do so.
    >>
    >> TEX
    >>

    >I agree. I think the OP should tell us what the desired goal is because
    >the suggestions are all valid ways to toggle the active bit. It is
    >obviously a problem where the OP thinks the solution is "make unactive"
    >where it may actually need to be something altogether different like
    >"hidden" or maybe an MBR issue.
    >
    >Ciao, Dave

    Yeah but the OP was Woger.....

    Dogg, Jun 2, 2004
  8. The GHOST of WOGER.

    thing Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    > I have 2 HD on a Controller, they both have active boot partitions, tried all
    > the tools I can find but none let me turn of the active partition on the
    > second drive..
    >
    > So how can it be done..?
    >

    > Thanks

    Ibm's zap but that wipes the hd bare

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jun 2, 2004
  9. On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:38:11 +1200, Dogg <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 02:38:45 GMT, Dave Taylor
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>TEX <> wrote in news:40bce071$:
    >>
    >>> Why do you need to disable the active partition on the second drive
    >>> anyway??? Cos it will never look at it unless it is specified in the
    >>> bios to do so.
    >>>
    >>> TEX

    The drive in connected to a Rail controller, running as a ATA controller, no
    option in the Boise..

    And it depends on how the drives are arranged, it used to work the way I had
    it but a bios update stuffed it up..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jun 2, 2004
  10. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Dave Taylor Guest

    The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote in

    > And it depends on how the drives are arranged, it used to work the way
    > I had it but a bios update stuffed it up..

    So tell us what you wish it be like ffs.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 2, 2004
  11. The GHOST of WOGER.

    TEX Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > The GHOST of WOGER. <> wrote in
    >

    >>And it depends on how the drives are arranged, it used to work the way
    >>I had it but a bios update stuffed it up..
    >>

    > So tell us what you wish it be like ffs.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Exactly! There is no point in asking what xx does xx when it doesn't
    even accomplish yy the thing you want to do.

    TEX

    TEX, Jun 2, 2004
  12. The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:
    > And it depends on how the drives are arranged, it used to work the way I had
    > it but a bios update stuffed it up..

    what'd the bios update fix?
    is going back to the old one an option?

    --