How to determine Windows version from a DOS prompt?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sophia, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Sophia

    Sophia Guest

    I have a computer here and would like to salvage the hard drive, which
    I believe has had its system removed by a defective utility.

    I'd like to use the "sys" command to attempt to replace the system on
    the disk. I know the drive has either Win98 or Win98SE on it, but I
    don't know which. I'm afraid to use the "sys" command until I know
    which it is, since I assume that the two different versions of Windows
    (I have Startup floppies for both) would use different versions of the
    system.

    I don't want to put a system out there that will be in conflict with
    the Windows version that is on the drive, since I imagine that will
    add considerably to my grief.

    Is there a way to determine from a DOS prompt which version of Windows
    is on the drive?

    TIA
    Sophia, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Sophia wrote:
    > I have a computer here and would like to salvage the hard drive, which
    > I believe has had its system removed by a defective utility.
    >
    > I'd like to use the "sys" command to attempt to replace the system on
    > the disk. I know the drive has either Win98 or Win98SE on it, but I
    > don't know which. I'm afraid to use the "sys" command until I know
    > which it is, since I assume that the two different versions of Windows
    > (I have Startup floppies for both) would use different versions of the
    > system.
    >
    > I don't want to put a system out there that will be in conflict with
    > the Windows version that is on the drive, since I imagine that will
    > add considerably to my grief.
    >
    > Is there a way to determine from a DOS prompt which version of Windows
    > is on the drive?
    >
    > TIA

    Type the word 'SET' (no quotes)
    More commands can be viewed here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/sethlp.htm
    HTH
    Jericho Swarm, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Sophia

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:07:19 GMT, Sophia <> wrote:

    >I have a computer here and would like to salvage the hard drive, which
    >I believe has had its system removed by a defective utility.
    >
    >I'd like to use the "sys" command to attempt to replace the system on
    >the disk. I know the drive has either Win98 or Win98SE on it, but I
    >don't know which. I'm afraid to use the "sys" command until I know
    >which it is, since I assume that the two different versions of Windows
    >(I have Startup floppies for both) would use different versions of the
    >system.
    >
    >I don't want to put a system out there that will be in conflict with
    >the Windows version that is on the drive, since I imagine that will
    >add considerably to my grief.
    >
    >Is there a way to determine from a DOS prompt which version of Windows
    >is on the drive?

    Yep. ver <enter>.

    Evan
    Evan Platt, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Sophia

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:07:19 GMT, Sophia <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a computer here and would like to salvage the hard drive, which
    >>I believe has had its system removed by a defective utility.
    >>
    >>I'd like to use the "sys" command to attempt to replace the system on
    >>the disk. I know the drive has either Win98 or Win98SE on it, but I
    >>don't know which. I'm afraid to use the "sys" command until I know
    >>which it is, since I assume that the two different versions of Windows
    >>(I have Startup floppies for both) would use different versions of the
    >>system.
    >>
    >>I don't want to put a system out there that will be in conflict with
    >>the Windows version that is on the drive, since I imagine that will
    >>add considerably to my grief.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to determine from a DOS prompt which version of Windows
    >>is on the drive?

    > Yep. ver <enter>.
    >
    > Evan

    You ****. That would only work if the OP can boot from the installed HD,
    which is corrupted. If the OP boots from a floppy the "ver" command will
    tell the version of the OS on the floppy....

    --
    Your mother was a bad breathed vegetable who grossed-out doctors on a
    canal boat.
    John Holmes, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Sophia

    Sophia Guest

    Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't see anything in the list of
    parameters that DOS scrolls down the screen that tells me what version
    of Windows is loaded on the drive.

    Sophia, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On 26 Sep 2005 20:28:29 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Too easy! Can't you make this complex? :)

    > Except I ignored the fact that he can't boot into that drive. :)

    I missed that. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 26, 2005
  7. boot with Window 98 floppy
    type sys c:
    see if it boots up
    if not, del *.* c: (this will delete all files in root directory of c: ,
    not the folders)
    boot with windows 98se floppy and sys c: again
    boot up.

    hope for the best

    theres always fdisk /mbr too......

    have fun
    Swiper The Fox, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Howdy!

    "Sophia" <> wrote in message

    > I have a computer here and would like to salvage the hard drive, which
    > I believe has had its system removed by a defective utility.
    >
    > I'd like to use the "sys" command to attempt to replace the system on
    > the disk. I know the drive has either Win98 or Win98SE on it, but I
    > don't know which. I'm afraid to use the "sys" command until I know
    > which it is, since I assume that the two different versions of Windows
    > (I have Startup floppies for both) would use different versions of the
    > system.
    >
    > I don't want to put a system out there that will be in conflict with
    > the Windows version that is on the drive, since I imagine that will
    > add considerably to my grief.
    >
    > Is there a way to determine from a DOS prompt which version of Windows
    > is on the drive?

    Between 98Gold and 98SE? Check the date stamp of COMMAND.COM - if
    it's SE, the time stamp is 22:22 B)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 27, 2005
  9. "Swiper The Fox" <> wrote in

    > boot with Window 98 floppy
    >type sys c:
    > see if it boots up
    >if not, del *.* c: (this will delete all files in root directory
    >of c: ,
    > not the folders)
    >boot with windows 98se floppy and sys c: again
    > boot up.
    >
    > hope for the best
    >
    > theres always fdisk /mbr too......
    >

    > have fun

    Glad you're not my IT person. No reason to delete files in the root
    directory, especially since you don't know what is there.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Sep 27, 2005
  10. Sophia

    John Holmes Guest

    Swiper The Fox blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    You fucking clueless ****.

    --
    Your mother was an unfeeling dimwit who joined a religious cult on an
    uninhabited island.
    John Holmes, Sep 27, 2005
  11. Sophia

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Sep 28, 2005
  12. Sophia

    John Holmes Guest

    Barry OGrady blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > ver
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Get lost, you fucking useless piece of shit. The OP cannot boot to the HD
    so the "ver" command isn't of any use.

    --
    Your mother was a lying brute who copulated with anyone and anything in
    disused windmills.
    John Holmes, Sep 28, 2005
  13. Sophia

    Morkeleb

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Okay, I know this post is old, but saw it while looking for similar information. Very humerous responses and I don't know if the whole post was legit or not, but to respond to the original question:

    I don't know if there's a utility out there that will tell you what version of windows is on the hard drive. I recon, something like partition magic for dos might be up that alley, but in any case, where Windows 98 and 98 SE are concerned, there's not a whole lot of difference except for the support for FAT32, and now I don't even recall if that was an issue.

    Anyway, all that the sys command does is copy a couple of files over to the root, that are standard files to enable you to boot into that OS. If you first run sys from a bootable floppy for 98 and it doesn't work, try again with a floppy for 98 SE. You're not out anything.

    As an example, if it turned out it were an NT 4.0 disk, you could still sys it later with the appropriate files and get it to boot in NT 4.0, if the system files were still there in the appropriate windows directory.

    Just my two cents worth...nice explicitives, btw.
    Morkeleb, Mar 12, 2007
  14. Sophia

    wh666-666

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,

    Old thread, but I wish to correct you all having stumbled in to this thread.

    If you are in a situation, where you have used a boot floppy/cd to recover a HDD and wish to know what version the OS is, VER wont help you as that isnt a valid command from a bootable console.

    The best way is at the C:> prompt type the following:

    type c:\boot.ini

    That will print the entire contents of the boot.ini file in the command prompt, so you can use this query from outside a booted windows environment. When it prints out the details of the OS, it will tell you all the OS's on every partition.
    wh666-666, Aug 3, 2011