    uninstalled, along with said folders' contents, without damaging the rest
    of the tree?

    Many thanks.
    Tom, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Tom wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me command line syntax or any other way to recursively
    > delete "_vti_cnf" folders created by FrontPage which has since been
    > uninstalled, along with said folders' contents, without damaging the rest
    > of the tree?

    Can't you just click on the folder in Windows Explorer and hit the Del
    key? That would take that folder and it's files, and any sub-directories
    and their files too.

    If you really want command line syntax in XP, you can copy deltree.exe
    from a 9x version of Windows to a folder in the path statement. For info
    on the path statement, this was lifted from computerhope.com:
    # From the desktop right click My Computer and click properties.
    # In the System Properties window click on the Advanced tab.
    # In the Advanced section click the Environment Variables button.
    # Finally, in the Environment Variables window highlight the path
    variable in the Systems Variable section and click edit. Add or modify
    the path lines with the paths you wish the computer to access. Each
    different directory is separated with a semicolon

    Now, at the command prompt in the parent directory of _vti_cnf, type:

    deltree _vti_cnf

    If there are files open in that folder you'll need to close whatever is
    holding it open. Or if the folder or any files in it are set to system
    or read only, you'll have to either run the attrib command to set the
    files or folders to read/write and non-system or set the attributes from
    within Windows Explorer. Right click and choose properties.

    I haven't had Front Page installed in a long time, so I can't experiment
    with exact syntax, but I hope you get the drift.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Rôgêr,

    I appreciate the thoughtful reply, and I'm sorry I failed to mention my OS
    - Win2k3 Server, which doesn't have deltree as a native command. I've been
    deleting as I go, but I'm currently looking at 4,877 directories in the
    tree - including both the ones that I want to keep and the unwanted
    "_vti_cnf" folders.

    Any thoughts on whether deltree can be tranplanted?

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Tom wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me command line syntax or any other way to
    >> recursively delete "_vti_cnf" folders created by FrontPage which has
    >> since been uninstalled, along with said folders' contents, without
    >> damaging the rest of the tree?

    > Can't you just click on the folder in Windows Explorer and hit the Del
    > key? That would take that folder and it's files, and any
    > sub-directories and their files too.
    >
    > If you really want command line syntax in XP, you can copy deltree.exe
    > from a 9x version of Windows to a folder in the path statement. For
    > info on the path statement, this was lifted from computerhope.com:

    [snip]
    Tom, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Tom

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Tom" wrote in message news:Xns9618612A167EMyemailaddressnet@24.168.128.90

    > I appreciate the thoughtful reply, and I'm sorry I failed to mention
    > my OS - Win2k3 Server, which doesn't have deltree as a native
    > command. I've been deleting as I go, but I'm currently looking at
    > 4,877 directories in the tree - including both the ones that I want
    > to keep and the unwanted "_vti_cnf" folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on whether deltree can be tranplanted?

    How about the version of RD (also known as RMDIR) that comes with Win2003
    that can accomplish the same thing as DELTREE used to under Win9x...

    Removes (deletes) a directory.

    RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
    RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path

    /S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
    in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a directory
    tree.

    /Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S

    I seem to recall that this command may even go as far back as WinNT4.
    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Tom

    Tom Guest

    This is what I first attempted, and it would work if what I wanted to do
    was delete an entire tree. But I only want to delete certain folders from
    within the tree, not the whole thing -- unless I'm missing something.

    Thanks.

    Tom, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Tom

    Guest

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:55:54 GMT, Tom <> wrote:

    |> This is what I first attempted, and it would work if what I wanted to do
    |> was delete an entire tree. But I only want to delete certain folders from
    |> within the tree, not the whole thing -- unless I'm missing something.

    The Windows Find Command doesn't work?

    --
    , Mar 15, 2005
  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    wrote in

    > The Windows Find Command doesn't work?

    I can't believe that didn't occur to me.

    Thanks.
    Tom, Mar 17, 2005