    read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
    get to the latest?
    TIA

    john, Dec 18, 2003

  2. john

    Ed Mullen Guest

    john wrote:
    > Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    > read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
    > get to the latest?
    > TIA

    Try this:

    VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.

    Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 18, 2003

  3. john wrote:

    > Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    > read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
    > get to the latest?
    > TIA

    You don't.

    In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
    computer, as with pop3 email.

    However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message in
    newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
    View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
    threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread for
    review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.

    In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
    around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > john wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    >>read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
    >>get to the latest?
    >>TIA
    >>

    > Try this:
    >
    > VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
    >
    > Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.

    Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
    am. ;)

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 18, 2003
  5. john

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >

    >>john wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    >>>read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones to
    >>>get to the latest?
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>Try this:
    >>
    >>VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
    >>
    >>Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.
    >>

    > Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
    > am. ;)
    >
    > Lee

    Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
    last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
    a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
    I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
    nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
    personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!

    Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
    Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
    about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
    discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
    glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
    here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >

    >>Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>>Try this:
    >>>
    >>>VIEW - MESSAGES - THREADED and ALL.
    >>>
    >>>Also, VIEW - THREAD - THREADS WITH UNREAD.
    >>>

    >>Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
    >>am. ;)
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
    > last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
    > a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
    > I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
    > nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
    > personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!
    >
    > Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
    > Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
    > about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
    > discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
    > glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
    > here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)

    I love it!!!!!! Though I am pretty much a beer only guy, it sounds like
    it might be worth a try!

    Hang in there with the quit smoking. My mother quit two years ago,
    after a good 50 years plus of the habit, so there is hope.

    I count myself fortunate, I never formed a smoking habit, and never
    formed a coffee habit, never drink it at all.

    Got to go, time for another beer!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 18, 2003
  7. john

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>>Ed, you beat me! I think its only because you are more succinct then I
    >>>am. ;)
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >>Lee, only because my mind can't process much these days. I quit smoking
    >>last Saturday so getting out one sentence responses here is pretty much
    >>a great achievement for me! And, I'm proud to say, neither my wife nor
    >>I have shed any blood so far in this grand adventure! No small animals,
    >>nor UPS delivery persons, nor wandering missionaries, not anyone in our
    >>personal household have yet disappeared!!! Amazing!
    >>
    >>Now, I must admit, if you want a short-term buy advisory, go for Tootsie
    >>Roll Pops and any toothpick manufacturer. 'Cause, like, whoa, talk
    >>about trading one addiction for another. Sheesh. (Now, Shhh! Secret
    >>discovery. I accidentally dropped a Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop into a
    >>glass of straight Makers Mark Bourbon. Dang! I might be onto something
    >>here!!! Should I call it a Mozilla Cocktail?)
    >>

    > I love it!!!!!! Though I am pretty much a beer only guy, it sounds like
    > it might be worth a try!
    >
    > Hang in there with the quit smoking. My mother quit two years ago,
    > after a good 50 years plus of the habit, so there is hope.
    >
    > I count myself fortunate, I never formed a smoking habit, and never
    > formed a coffee habit, never drink it at all.
    >
    > Got to go, time for another beer!
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for the encouragement, Lee. But, still, I'm willing to give up
    one vice as long as I can maintain the others. In fact, I may be
    getting even more locked into my morning Starbucks, USA Today, Atlatna
    Journal Constitution, and Wall St. Journal. I figure if I can live
    through that routine without a smoke I can get through the rest of the
    day ok. ;-)

    I do think I might be onto something with this Mozilla Cocktail idea.
    Not sure if it actually tastes good or not but I am sure having a lot of
    fun trying to figure that out. And it's sorta like an ashtray. You
    know, someplace to put your smoke when you you're working on something
    else (hey, just drop that pop into your shot glass!). I would have
    thought that Makers Mark would severely erode a Tootsie Roll Pop in 10
    or 15 minutes but, apparently, TRPs are pretty sturdy things and are
    designed to only be degraded by human saliva. Hmmm. This presents
    various chemical and biological questions I'm not sure I want to
    investigate.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 18, 2003
  8. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > john wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    >> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones
    >> to get to the latest?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > You don't.
    >
    > In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
    > computer, as with pop3 email.
    >
    > However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message in
    > newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
    > View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
    > threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread for
    > review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
    >
    > In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
    > around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

    Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there anyway
    to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on Unread
    and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to clean things
    up every once in a while.

    Thanks,
    Lyle
    make me not retarded for email

    Lyle McDonald, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Lyle McDonald wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> john wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, this is my first time using mozilla newsgroups. How do I delete a
    >>> read message so that I do not have to slog through all previous ones
    >>> to get to the latest?
    >>> TIA
    >>>

    >> You don't.
    >>
    >> In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
    >> computer, as with pop3 email.
    >>
    >> However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message
    >> in newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
    >> View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
    >> threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread
    >> for review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
    >>
    >> In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
    >> around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

    > Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there anyway
    > to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on Unread
    > and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to clean things
    > up every once in a while.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lyle
    > make me not retarded for email

    Headers are retained for different lengths of times on different
    servers. Try clicking on the oldest header showing. If its expired, you
    will get a warning page. Click on "Click Here to remove Expired Headers.

    For some reason I've never really understood, this opens another Moz
    Mail window. Close the original window, and the only headers showing in
    that group will be unexpired ones.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Lyle McDonald wrote:

    >>> You don't.
    >>>
    >>> In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
    >>> computer, as with pop3 email.
    >>>
    >>> However, MozMail/News has a number of options for displaying message
    >>> in newsgroups. Click the View menu from the toolbar. If you click
    >>> View>>Threads, you can set the group to display all the messages,
    >>> threaded, threads with unread messages, preserving the entire thread
    >>> for review, or simply unread, which will display only unread messages.
    >>>
    >>> In an active group, I usually use Threads with unread. You can play
    >>> around with the settings and see what best suits your needs.

    >> Followup (since I was about to ask the same question). Is there
    >> anyway to delete the message headers? I mean, I can just leave it on
    >> Unread and only see unread messages but it'd be nice to be able to
    >> clean things up every once in a while.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lyle
    >> make me not retarded for email
    >>

    > Headers are retained for different lengths of times on different
    > servers. Try clicking on the oldest header showing. If its expired, you
    > will get a warning page. Click on "Click Here to remove Expired Headers.
    >
    > For some reason I've never really understood, this opens another Moz
    > Mail window. Close the original window, and the only headers showing in
    > that group will be unexpired ones.

    Ok, thanks for the quick response. I guess I just got used to Netscape
    which did a purge of unread messages every so often (I think I set a
    preference) and cleared 'em all out.

    Lyle

    Lyle McDonald, Jan 19, 2004
  11. john

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    In news:FdWOb.69276$,
    Leonidas Jones <> informed us:

    ||| You don't.
    ||| In newsgroups, the messages are stored on the server, not on your
    ||| computer, as with pop3 email.

    <snip>

    Am I understanding this correctly? It seems that once I've d/loaded NG
    messages, then they're on my PC forever, or at least, until the server
    deletes them, which could take months in some cases. Is there any way to
    delete them, short of deleting the account and then resubscribing?

    Tom

    Tom Accuosti, Jan 20, 2004
  12. john

    dantu Guest

    Tom Accuosti wrote:

    >In news:FdWOb.69276$,
    >Leonidas Jones <> informed us:

    ><snip>
    >
    >Am I understanding this correctly? It seems that once I've d/loaded NG
    >messages, then they're on my PC forever, or at least, until the server
    >deletes them, which could take months in some cases. Is there any way to
    >delete them, short of deleting the account and then resubscribing?
    >
    >Tom

    Tom
    Servers dont keep messages forever, they usually keep them
    for 30 days, tho some groups have shorter limits.

    In any case, you can set Mozilla to delete them at an interval you
    decide on.
    For each news account
    Edit-->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings--><name>-->Offline & Disk Space
    You can use the When its time to clean up settings to set the time frame
    you wish to keep messagse for

    So, messages from newsgroups will remain on your PC for as long as the
    server keeps them or for as long as you decide.
    Personally, I have some news servers set to 1 day, and others to 5, and
    yet others to 30

    dantu, Jan 20, 2004
  13. john

    Tom Accuosti Guest

    In news:SngPb.772$,
    dantu <> informed us:
    | Tom
    | Servers dont keep messages forever, they usually keep them
    | for 30 days, tho some groups have shorter limits.
    |
    | In any case, you can set Mozilla to delete them at an interval you
    | decide on.
    | For each news account
    | Edit-->Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings--><name>-->Offline & Disk
    | Space You can use the When its time to clean up settings to set the
    | time frame you wish to keep messagse for

    Bingo! That's the part I was looking for! Thanks Dantu.

    Tom Accuosti, Jan 20, 2004