How to delete old router which was installed using Windows 98. Ide

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYg==?=, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. Trying to install new router
    Problem.
    Old Linksys router keeps coming back each time I reboot. Router was
    installed with Windows 98. Now using XP Pro. I've tried to delete thru
    Control Panel\add,delete programs. I get the following error message:
    0x80040707 and cannot delete. Using the delete key while in Network
    Connections or in network adapters works but the old router is there again
    after I reboot.
    Complication:
    The connection information is corrupt. Under Lan or High-Speed Internet
    heading is the connection icon and it says:

    Local Area Connection 6
    Connected
    HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter

    To the right of that is the icon with a red X and it says:
    Local Area Connection 7
    Network cable unplugged
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

    In reality: The Linksys Realtek is connected. The HP is unplugged. The
    Linksys is a new model WRT 54 GS not the old RTL8139
    ..
    I am able to connect to the internet with these settings but despite
    reassurances from the Linksys tech in India that as long as my IP address is
    correct I don't have a problem, I am unwilling to try to add our two other
    computers to this network until I have correct information.

    I hope someone can help or tell me where to find help. I've been using
    computers for over 25 years so I'm reasonably computer literate. ( ie, I'm
    good at following good directions. :) )
    =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYg==?=, Mar 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmFyYg==?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    There is No need to install any thing on any computer in order to configure
    and use a Router.

    All recent consumer level Cable/DSL Routers come with an HTML Menu system
    that can be log into by using your regular Browser (I.E.). The user Guide
    would tell you which IP address to use. You type into the browser address
    the appropriate IP address (example: http://192.168.1.1).

    If your Computer's Network setting got "messed" up and it is not functioning
    any more. Take out (or disable if it is onboard) the NIC, reboot one time to
    force Windows to clean the "mess". Re enable (or insert) the NIC, reboot and
    reinstall the Network settings.

    Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows Network
    Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Mar 3, 2005

  3. Having a similar, but unrelated problem. Went to uninstall Netgear WG311
    Wireless PCI Adapter and got 0x80040707 message. Tried using using Windows
    Add/Remove and the vendor's own uninstall. Same result.

    =?Utf-8?B?Rmxhc2g=?=, Mar 13, 2005