How to delete a password without deleting saved mail?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by ParaMind Brainstorming Software, May 21, 2004.

  1. Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
    When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
    I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
    passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
    with strange characters I was using.

    I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
    only for web sites and
    not the e-mail program.

    I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
    find some kind of configuration file.

    Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
    of foresight if you can't change
    a mistyped password.

    Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
    creates multiple e-mails.

    Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
    --
    ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
    totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
    ParaMind Brainstorming Software, May 21, 2004

  2. oops, hit send too quickly...hopefully the programmers of Mozilla ocassionally
    read this newsgroup. This is a strange problem that they should look into
    fixing as soon as possible, or make it more apparent how to change it.

    No one likes programs built for geeks only (lol).
    ParaMind Brainstorming Software, May 21, 2004

  3. ParaMind Brainstorming Software

    Less Murphy Guest

    ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:
    > Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
    > When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
    > I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
    > passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
    > with strange characters I was using.
    >
    > I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
    > only for web sites and
    > not the e-mail program.
    >
    > I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
    > find some kind of configuration file.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
    > of foresight if you can't change
    > a mistyped password.
    >
    > Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
    > creates multiple e-mails.
    >
    > Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
    > totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
    > http://www.paramind.net

    Mozilla should give you a list of passwords it has saved, and one should
    be for mailbox[servername].
    if not, try going through options in Mozilla Mail part of the program
    and find the passwords section.
    Less Murphy, May 21, 2004
  4. ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

    > oops, hit send too quickly...hopefully the programmers of Mozilla ocassionally
    > read this newsgroup. This is a strange problem that they should look into
    > fixing as soon as possible, or make it more apparent how to change it.
    >
    > No one likes programs built for geeks only (lol).
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
    > totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
    > http://www.paramind.net

    Try Tools>>Password Manager>>Manage Stored Passwords.

    All your mail passwords are stored there. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, May 21, 2004
  5. ParaMind Brainstorming Software

    Moz Champion Guest

    ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

    > Having problems with a new webhost who is my mail server. It was working fine.
    > When I rebooted the machine it asked for my e-mail password again. I thought
    > I typed it correctly, but it stored the wrong one. Anyway, now I've changed
    > passwords because the tech help there seemed to think it had something to do
    > with strange characters I was using.
    >
    > I can not delete my old password in the password manager as this seems to be
    > only for web sites and
    > not the e-mail program.
    >
    > I'm doing a search for files that have the password as text. Maybe this will
    > find some kind of configuration file.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if there is something wrong. This is obviously a huge lack
    > of foresight if you can't change
    > a mistyped password.
    >
    > Remember, I do want to save old mail, so creating a new account usually only
    > creates multiple e-mails.
    >
    > Hopefully the programms of Mozilla read this newsgroup.
    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
    > totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
    > http://www.paramind.net

    Um, when you go to the mail site, or try to get mail, since the old password will be used it will fail, it will then ask you for a new userid/password. Enter them

    the new will replace the old one.

    So, there is no lack of foresight <g>. You want to change the password? Simple, try to use it. The mistyped one will fail, forcing you to enter the new one.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, May 21, 2004
  6. Here's the problem. The main domain account had been through two other
    webhosts and was still called what the first one was called.

    When I deleted both of them, it then
    prompted me for a password.

    So, somehow Mozilla was not calling the mail server by its proper name.

    ParaMind Brainstorming Software, May 21, 2004
  7. ParaMind Brainstorming Software

    Moz Champion Guest

    ParaMind Brainstorming Software wrote:

    > Here's the problem. The main domain account had been through two other
    > webhosts and was still called what the first one was called.
    >
    > When I deleted both of them, it then
    > prompted me for a password.
    >
    > So, somehow Mozilla was not calling the mail server by its proper name.
    >

    > --
    > ParaMind Brainstorming Software -- We make an easy to use,
    > totally-customizable brainstorming software with a small learning curve.
    > http://www.paramind.net

    Then change the account info so it does address it by the correct name.

    Its connecting to something, else it wouldnt be asking for a password in the first place, the password prompt just doesnt just 'show' up, it is invoked by the server. If the server is asking for a specific user id, then give it the user id it wants, along with the password it associattes with that user id.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, May 25, 2004