    the retailers?

    I am asking as I am thinking of buying a new machine/ upgrading current
    machine and not sure what is best. Any pointers much appreciated.
    Julian Visch, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > These are good sites to start with:
    >
    > http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/index.html
    > http://www.anandtech.com/storage/index.html
    >
    > Their product reviews are based on comparative testing, and the data is
    > right there for you to look at. There's no guarantee that the testing is
    > always as sound as it could be, and -- for better or worse -- they are
    > definitely biased toward performance over price. But it sure beats having to
    > rely on retailer merchandising, which is always suspect in my opinion. As
    > for the anecdotes you're likely to read in a newsgroup like this ("I've had
    > 12 Seagates and they all crapped out." "No, Seagate rocks!) ....well, it's
    > an acquired taste, I suppose.

    Thanks, must confess that I am a seagate fan myself, but I would confess
    also that my computer has been crashing a lot, I suspect the graphics
    card or the fact that I tend to have up to 50 applications open at a time.
    Julian Visch, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    Peter Murray wrote:

    > "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Patrick Bold wrote:
    >>

    >>>These are good sites to start with:
    >>>
    >>>http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/index.html
    >>>http://www.anandtech.com/storage/index.html
    >>>
    >>>Their product reviews are based on comparative testing, and the data is
    >>>right there for you to look at. There's no guarantee that the testing is
    >>>always as sound as it could be, and -- for better or worse -- they are
    >>>definitely biased toward performance over price. But it sure beats
    >>>

    > having to
    >
    >>>rely on retailer merchandising, which is always suspect in my opinion.
    >>>

    > As
    >
    >>>for the anecdotes you're likely to read in a newsgroup like this ("I've
    >>>

    > had
    >
    >>>12 Seagates and they all crapped out." "No, Seagate rocks!) ....well,
    >>>

    > it's
    >
    >>>an acquired taste, I suppose.
    >>>

    >>Thanks, must confess that I am a seagate fan myself, but I would confess
    >>also that my computer has been crashing a lot, I suspect the graphics
    >>card or the fact that I tend to have up to 50 applications open at a time.
    >>

    > What OS? Running lots of applications on Windows 9x can cause resource
    > problems due to the design of the OS. See
    > http://www.windows-help.net/techfiles/win-resources.html for more info.

    Linux is where I have lots of windows open. Windows is too unstable for
    my taste and too expensive for my wallet.
    Julian Visch, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Julian Visch

    Julian Visch Guest

    Patrick Bold wrote:

    > "Julian Visch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Peter Murray wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Julian Visch" <> wrote in message

    > is

    >>>having to

    >>>As

    >>>had

    >>>it's

    > time.
    >
    >>>What OS? Running lots of applications on Windows 9x can cause resource
    >>>problems due to the design of the OS. See
    >>>http://www.windows-help.net/techfiles/win-resources.html for more info.
    >>>

    >>Linux is where I have lots of windows open. Windows is too unstable for
    >>my taste and too expensive for my wallet.
    >>

    > Since Windows 2000-XP, stability hasn't been much of an issue. Has it?

    Well the PC company have a pamphlet that says that xp is 10 times as
    stable as 98, when I did try using 98 it crashed twice a day on average.
    Which by process of multiplation means once a week for xp, so yes it is
    a problem.

    > The
    > cost issue is an important one. But the problem with Linux is, there simply
    > aren't enough useful (and/or stable) desktop applications out there to
    > bother with. Maybe someday.

    I have more useful applications on my desktop than my windows fan
    friends do, if you mean less games then yes, the rest we tend to have
    more. Some of our applications also run on windows but they are
    supported more under linux than windows, e.g. emacs, gimp, imagemagick

    Julian Visch, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Julian Visch

    Patrick Bold Guest

    Patrick Bold, Jul 27, 2003
  6. Julian Visch

    Peter Murray Guest

    --
    Peter Murray
    open i
    Peter Murray, Jul 27, 2003
  7. Julian Visch

    Ben Perston Guest

    Julian Visch wrote:
    > Is there any site or place aside from here that people go when trying to
    > find out which hard drives are best or do people just take the word of
    > the retailers?

    As far as performance (including heat/noise) comparisons go, I think
    www.storagereview.com is the pick of them. Other considerations such as
    cost and warranty length you can decide for yourself :). I think at the
    moment Seagates are cheap and big; Western Digitals (JB series and the
    new SATA 10k Raptor) are the fastest and have 3 year warranties.
    Seagates are slow, WDs are noisy. Etc, etc.

    > I am asking as I am thinking of buying a new machine/ upgrading current
    > machine and not sure what is best. Any pointers much appreciated.

    As for other hardware... Tom's and Anandtech as someone else mentioned
    are okay. www.overclockers.co.nz have reasonably good motherboard reviews.

    I think the best bet at the moment is either Athlon XP + NForce2, at
    about $400 for CPU (1833 MHz) and motherboard, or P-4 + recent
    Intel-chipset board at ~ $600. The new P4s apparently overclock very
    nicely if you're into that. With NF2 boards you can easily adjust the
    multiplier and FSB to increase performance without really overclocking
    anything. If you want decent onboard video the NF2 IGP with
    dual-channel RAM is easily the best.
    Ben Perston, Jul 27, 2003
  8. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 21:54:34 -0400, Patrick Bold wrote:

    > As for the anecdotes you're likely to read in a newsgroup like this
    > ("I've had 12 Seagates and they all crapped out." "No, Seagate rocks!)
    > ....well, it's an acquired taste, I suppose.

    My own experience with hard drives is that the distributor and couriers
    used has far more bearing on hard drive reliability than anything else.

    Edge killed the reputation of Quantum drives for many people by handling
    them roughly and inadequately packaging them - to the poijnt of voidng the
    warranty.

    Quantum eventually stopped accepting returns from Edge, because tests
    showed almost every single one had been subjected to excessive G forces in
    transit.

    Stories circulate of retailers getting cartons of drives in from Edge
    where were _RATTLING_ because the drives were loose in the box.

    Meantime I had supposedly unreliable Quantum Bigfoots via other
    distribution paths which lasted 6-7 years. None of them had premature
    failures.

    Ask your retailer where they get the drives from. Ask how they arrive. Ask
    to see the packaging.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 27, 2003
  9. "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > Quantum eventually stopped accepting returns from Edge, because tests
    > showed almost every single one had been subjected to excessive G forces in
    > transit.

    Tell me about it. I've had a fucked Quantum Bigfoot, and a mate of mine has
    a Quantum Bigfoot which is also fucked. It certainly didn't help Quantum's
    reputation.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 28, 2003
  10. Julian Visch

    Patrick Bold Guest

    > Patrick Bold wrote:

    > > Since Windows 2000-XP, stability hasn't been much of an issue. Has it?

    > Well the PC company have a pamphlet that says that xp is 10 times as
    > stable as 98, when I did try using 98 it crashed twice a day on average.
    > Which by process of multiplation means once a week for xp, so yes it is
    > a problem.

    As I was saying, everyone has an anecdote to tell.

    > > The
    > > cost issue is an important one. But the problem with Linux is, there

    simply
    > > aren't enough useful (and/or stable) desktop applications out there to
    > > bother with. Maybe someday.

    > I have more useful applications on my desktop than my windows fan
    > friends do, if you mean less games then yes, the rest we tend to have
    > more. Some of our applications also run on windows but they are
    > supported more under linux than windows, e.g. emacs, gimp, imagemagick

    Ok, you win. I'm through.
    Patrick Bold, Jul 28, 2003